solution night lows & day highs basal

fe34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi y'all,

I've been DT1 for more than 20 years so definitely not new to it. Nevertheless since 1 year I have been facing a problem with Tresiba. When I inject 18U, I get low overnight and good readings during the day. When I lower to 17 or 16U I have good readings at night and I face high readings during the day. Injecting more Novorapid before meals / when correcting high sugars is not helping, my body is not responding to the fast acting insulin when I do not have enough basal during the day so I stay high for hours.

Therefore I switched to Levemir twice a day but it created even more problems when I used Tresiba. First of all, it does not last 12 hours. For example, I use 9U at 9PM so "normally" it should cover till 9AM, but my sugar start to raise after 10 hours (so around 7AM). I also experience this during the evening. I think Levemir misses around 4 hours, so it only covers for 20 hours in total. Also I get horrible food spikes since I use Levemir, especially after breakfast and my sugars are just not steady during the day. The nights are ok but not as steady as with Tresiba.

I cannot use more Levemir because it will make me go low; I use 11U in the morning and I notice that is already too much. But if I inject less it does not even last 10 hours, but I just do not need that much insulin. It has always been like this.

I want to start using Tresiba again, because besides the overnight lows, my sugars have always been very steady using Tresiba including good HbA1C. But I just need something to fix the overnight lows. It started to affect my life during the day because I woke up 2-3 times every night to treat my hypo's, therefore being very tired during the day due to lack of sleep and poor sleep quality.

Therefore I am looking for some potential solutions to fix the overnight lows with Tresiba. (but if someone has a solution for Levemir: feel free to tell me!). Reducing the overall U with Tresiba is not possible as I mentioned as I will run high during the day if I do so. And with Levemir I can not even come up with one solution, as it just does not cover 24hours with 2 injections.

Thank you very much in advance !

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got a half unit Pen? I always tweek Tresiba I half units.

Reactions: Dudette1

fe34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I have full unit pen. Do you really notice a difference in injecting 13 and 13,5 for example? More hypos, hypers or more steady? Or is it really minimal?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an unusual solution for a similar issue.
I love the steadyness my Tresiba provides, but my basal needs do fluctuate a bit depending on activity, hormones, colour of my socks, and it's impossible to adjust the Tresiba on a daily base.

So I got my internist/endo to prescribe both Tresiba and Levemir, using Tresiba as my main basal and topping up with Levemir as needed from day to day. Took some work convincing my internist to prescribe two basals though.

Waving from Friesland, always nice to see a fellow Dutchie! ;)

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I’m the same, if I take 6 units I hypo through the day, I take 5.5 and I’m steady away day and night.
It’s worth trying and don’t forget, tresiba takes roughly around 4-5 days after changing the dose to see how it’s working, I usually give myself 10 days to see if it’s working for me or not.

@Antje77 love the colour of my socks comment, it’s so true

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
I can only tell you what i do to make my levimir dose work for me....

I take 10 units at 6am and 14 at 6pm.
I'm active during the day and take 15000 to 18000 steps per day.
I graze on food to keep me level but at 6pm i have a heavy carb meal and take novorapid accordingly.
If i then start to go too high, usually in the 8s, I go for a walk which in conjunction with the novorapid on board i then return to good levels.

Its the walking that helps me and have made it part of my routine.

At weekends when my activity level is less i take more novo rapid.

This works for me but may not for anyone else.

Been at it for 50 years aged 55 and work locally so i can walk to said workplace.

I wish you well

Tony

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
What is the availability of pumps like in the Netherlands?

A possible solution to varying day and night basal needs would be to use a pump....

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I have full unit pen. Do you really notice a difference in injecting 13 and 13,5 for example? More hypos, hypers or more steady? Or is it really minimal?

The difference is vast for me. I only on very low doses as it is. 6 at the moment. If it ever warms up it will be back up to 6.5.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77