5 weeks after diagnosis

krs1958

Just thought I would give a update on my progress so far.

I'm taking 1 500mg slow release Metaformin twice a day. I had the runs for the first week or so but they soon cleared up. The metallic taste I got in my mouth has stopped in the last week or so.

I'm measuring my blood sugars and watching my diet. So far I have lost 5kg. (I'm still have a long way to go)

I had my eyes checked last Monday and they are fine.

I do take other medications as well. I have Colitis which is treated in part by immune dampening drugs. Angina and the usual statin and blood pressure drugs. Warfrin for 6 months after a DVT in November.

I developed Lymphoedema in 2002 after septicaemia. I have had swollen legs since with yearly bouts of cellulitis. Since starting the diabetic treatment my legs have shrunk to a normal size. A fantastic "side effect"

I know that improving my diet has had a good effect on my health. However I was eating less and doing more activity before my diabetes but not loosing any weight, in fact gaining weight.

I have a lot more energy and my family and friends are commenting how well I look. I have found that I have only had 1 angina episode since I went on the Metaformin.

On the health front 2011 will be a good year.

Sue Morton

Congraulations on your health improvement. :D It was really nice reading this that your health has improved due to your controlling/taking metformin you diabetics.

Hope it continues for you and that there are even more improvements.

Sue :D

krs1958

Thanks to both for the encouraging posts. I have a long way to go on weight loss but I have made a start.

I go on a diabetes awareness course starting early next month. That should help, as this site and forum has.

krs1958

I'm continuing to lose weight. I'm now lighter than I have been for a number of years. I still have at least 7 stone to go so still a long road ahead. (BMI over 40 still)

It's just a pity I waited till the T2 diagnosis before taking control of my lifestyle. :roll:

I have my first assessment with the diabetes nurse in a couple of weeks. At least I can show some improvement. I just need to reduce my stress levels. I have a stressful job and don't have a 9 to 5 job. My company is allowing me the time to attend the diabetes awareness course. I have my second visit tomorrow and I have support from my line manager as I learn to manage my T2.

One problem is my Contour 2 meter has gone wrong. I will contact Bayer and see if they can replace it. If not I will buy a new one. I check 3 to 4 days of the week and it does help me manage the T2.

Just reading other posts on this forum gives me encouragement and I hope I can give something back as I learn more about a healthier lifestyle.

Clairslloyd

I have just been diagnosed with T2 and high blood pressure. This post has made me realise it is not the end of the world but chance to start fresh. Keep up the good work and I will let you know how I go. Many thanks :)

krs1958

progress report

Thanks to all who have given me encouragement on the forum.

I had my first post diagnosis appointment with the Diabetic Nurse at my local health centre last Wednesday.

She was very encouraging and pleased with my weight loss.

The HbA1c test gave an average of 7.8. Still to high. I will have to go low carb I think to help get this down.

I have had the Metformin increased from 2 X 500mg per day to 3 X 500mg per day. I'm on the prolonged release version.

The lower reading on my blood pressure was 5 points to high so I will go back in mid March to have it measured again.

My weight loss has slowed to 2 to 3 pounds a week. I think this will be better in the long term as I wasn't eating enough. I'm aiming for long term results rather than a quick fix. With a minor heart problem and other health issues the weight loss is really going to improve my general health.

I'm dealing with my stress levels and am taking a 2 week holiday from work in mid march.

I'm continuing to test my bg levels often and they are starting to show a drop.

jaykay

Well done! You are obviously on the right path. I agree with the slow weight loss thing. I am continuing to lose weight and am hoping that with exercise, I can tone up enough to not have to cope with the next problem....what do I do with all this extra skin! Plus this is the deal for life! We need a lifestyle change not a short term diet that is impossible to continue with. I sometimes feel guilty taking praise for my shrinking waistline when, actually, it hasn't been that hard and I don't feel particularly deprived of food-just carbs but I can LIVE with that! :D Keep going-sounds like you're doing all the right things!

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I cant really add anything but to say well done to you and everyone else who is managing to control their situation and losing weight, to say nothing of improving health in general, great :p
I was diagnosed 15 months ago , type 2 and begged for a 3 month period of diet and exercise, nurse reluctantly agreed and so this made me even more dertermined as I already take meds for cardiovascular disease and didnt want to add to them if it was possible but it seemed like a mountain to climb . My lowering carbs and walking 2 to 3 miles per day with my dogs , I`ve shed over 5 stones , got my blood sugar under control , BP is normal for the first time in very many years and I`ve never felt better as a size 10 . If I can do it at 63 years old , anyone can , it is a long haul and its for life too, but really well done to all who are doing their bit to try and improve their situation, its hard but worth it :p