5 weeks into metformin and still one problem

steveck79

Hi everyone

Somethings really starting to get me down with this whole diabetes thing.

Ever since I first went to the docs with a show of high blood glucose readings and he started the process off for diagnosis, which happened a week later - I've been physically reduced in strength, a lot.

My legs are affected mostly, which stands to reason because they carry you. Walking even very short distances is hard, just doing things around the flat, simple bits of cleaning etc knock me for six because I have so little strength.

The obvious explanation for this was the element of type 2 where your cells are resistant to insulin which of course prevents needed glucose getting to the cells so they can get their needed energy.

I'm not 5, possibly 6 weeks into metformin, the most recent 2 weeks on 2 x 500mg in the morning and 2 x 500mg in the evening since my first medical review 2 weeks ago.

The metformin is having a great effect on my glucose levels. Nearly all my readings are in a healthy range. However the one big thing that affected me the most in terms of symptoms isn't even remotely better by any degree; this physical weakness. It's absolutely horrible. I was under the impression that one of metformin's functions is to make your body more sensitive to insulin so you can once again absorb glucose properly. I can't say that this is happening at all.

I feel like an infirm 85 year old. Has ANYONE else experienced this?

If not, I'm thinking there must be a separate cause. An injury I sustained at a beginners yoga class affecting one or my discs between my shoulder blades. I'm just beyond frustrated that I have no life at all because I only just have the strength to sit at my desk all day at work, and that's it.

Thanks for any advice from anyone!

Steve

K

Kat100

I am very tired most of the time, I have yo push myself yo do things, my walks etc....otherwise I would sleep all day, having no engery is hard I have b12 injections now because levels were low, they font help much, but I know the levels make me tired.....worth getting checked out perhaps

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Are you on statins Steve? I've never had a problem with Met.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Met doesn't normally cause tiredness. There must be some other reason. I assume you are having a sensibly varied, healthy diet, but low'ish carbs to help with the blood glucose

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steve,

What other medication are you on. If you are taking statins then they may be the cause of your problems rather than the Metformin. Simvastatin made me feel exactly as you describe and it took me some months to convince my GP to withdraw it. I was back to normal within days.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lifeboat62

Hi i was on the same dosage as you and i felt the same way as you. My doctor cut me down to one in the morning after breakfast and one at bed time. I don't feel as bad now. William

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found Symvastin had a devastating effect on my muscles, I often had a problem getting up from a sitting position, and more than once thought my right leg was going to collapse under me, I got out of the car to go in a shop and after 3 feet Had to turn back, I Refuse to take them after a short while, I never get an argument from any doctor,
I take metformin now but spread the 4 tablets through the day if my tummy feels funny, some days I feel great, other days I might feel a bit tired, I bought some garlic tablets to reduce cholesterol, not started taking them yet, also having porridge

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMO, I had those symptoms before I was diagnosed and for a couple of months after I went onto met, before it settled down. I think it was the diabetes and not the met

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
metformin is a good medicine. it was also used to kerb appetite. a endo professor who was helping me lose weight way back in 1997 use this medicine. the cardio professor also recommend this medicine.

when i was diagnose with diabetes i also feel **** weak for a few week, while my bg normalise.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have your Vitamin D3 and B12 tested as both can have a huge impact on fatigue and muscle weakness (especially D3 for the muscle weakness). If you've been taking a statin, the issue can also be Co-Q10 as statins deplete the body stores. Anybody taking a statin should also be taking Co-Q10 supplements.