5 weeks pregnant and type 2-Awful control :(

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This baby wasnt planned but here i am. my sugar is out of control as i stopped taking my metformin and insulin. Since i found out i was pregnant 1 week ago, ive gone back on the metformin and insulin and been quite strict. How long will it take my sugars to start going down?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This baby wasnt planned but here i am. my sugar is out of control as i stopped taking my metformin and insulin. Since i found out i was pregnant 1 week ago, ive gone back on the metformin and insulin and been quite strict. How long will it take my sugars to start going down?
Was there a reason why you stopped taking your prescribed medication in the first place; before knowing you were expecting?

What insulin(s) do you take?

I'd suggest that (if you haven't already) you give your hospital a ring at the soonest instance and explain your situation. As a pregnant diabetic, it is essential that your control is as tight as can be throughout your pregnancy. The sooner you regain control of your BG management, the better - for both you and your baby.

Good luck @mickellwife and congratulations on the news:)

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was having a hard time and i just stopped caring for a while. My sugars were in the 30's 6 ish months ago but my highest since started back on medication was 14 and today they have been 11's and 12's so i think they are starting to go down x

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
im on Lantus which was prescribed before pregnancy so that may get changed x

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was having a hard time and i just stopped caring for a while. My sugars were in the 30's 6 ish months ago but my highest since started back on medication was 14 and today they have been 11's and 12's so i think they are starting to go down x
I'm sorry to hear that do hope you're in a better place now. You've clearly made a dramatic improvement regarding your BG values, but there is still plenty room for further improvement.
im on Lantus which was prescribed before pregnancy so that may get changed x
Your diabetes care team will do what's best for you and your baby. Have you contacted them yet?

Reactions: mickellwife

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just had a sleep as pregnancy makes me really tired so i slept for 2 hours and just done my sugar before my dinner and its 5.9 x

Im in shock

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just had a sleep as pregnancy makes me really tired so i slept for 2 hours and just done my sugar before my dinner and its 5.9 x

Im in shock
That's more like it:) Things are improving already.

Trying to reduce the amount of carbohydrates you eat (and I say reduce, not eliminate) will more than likely allow for you to be in range more regarding your BG. Try choosing brown varieties of bread, pasta, rice, etc over the white ones. That's a good place to start. I'm not sure whether you're aware of the glycemic index; but choosing foods on the lower end of that will also benefit your BG readings.

I'm sure when you meet with the DSN and Doctor at your next appointment they'll be able to keep you right.

Good luck and keep up the good numbers!

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I already eat brown rice and Brown bread. I have carbs still but make sure the protein is higher

joanne75

Congratulations!! Please also be aware that you might be extra sensitive to insulin in your 1st trimester so please also be careful in regards to low readings and hypos please test as much as you can and all the best

Reactions: azure