Not open for further replies.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've never heard of 15 or 20 year medal, but I did get a 50 year medal. did hear there was a 60 year medal but fast approaching 61 years and not received anything yet.

You have to apply for the medal yourself or your diabetes care team do.

Congratulations on reaching the 61 years though that' a fantastic achievement .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the 5th of April 2015 I reached the milestone of 50 years on insulin with no complications :)
Congratulations you are great and I would know all about how you feel I'm living with diabetes 64 years and still enjoying life to the full. I have never lived for diabetes I always let diabetes live with me. Life is wonderful and it is so much easier now, in days gone by we had to test our urine 5 drops of urine to 10 drops of water add a tablet wait liquid would change colour to tell you if your blood sugar was high, lots and lots of other old fashion things we had to do. So to all you young people out there do not let it change your life. I have travelled the world and I'm not stopped yet.

Reactions: 10 people

ramblyman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On the 5th of April 2015 I reached the milestone of 50 years on insulin with no complications :)
Well done CarbsRok, I can only beat you by one year i.e 51 years but I do have some complications, fortunately minor.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well done CarbsRok, I can only beat you by one year i.e 51 years but I do have some complications, fortunately minor.
This thread is a year old now so we are on an even keel so to speak :) Complication wise I'm still free of them but have my share of other autoimmune conditions.

rstonepal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetic Educators, people who do not listen, people who do not actively try to make their situation better, people who think I am in their textbook, people who think I am a standard T1D.
I would seriously LOVE to be your penpal. I will be celebrating 52 years of T1D,,NEONATAL, insulin since birth, in August. Do you find yourself wondering, is this ,, whatever, due to my diabetes or my age?

charlieb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, 53 years for me. Did your mum boil your syringe and needles?
Hi I have been type 1 for 56 years and yes my Mum had to boil my syringe and needles, we were advised to keep them in methylated spirit and boil before use, not very convenient when eating away from home!

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have been type 1 for 56 years and yes my Mum had to boil my syringe and needles, we were advised to keep them in methylated spirit and boil before use, not very convenient when eating away from home!
Geraldine Rogers still going strong and enjoying life after living with diabetes for 64yrs and my Dad and Mum were brilliant and my husband of 37 years is even better .

Reactions: 5 people

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, did you get your Gold Medal. I collected mine at the Diabetic Clinic, no ceremony thank goodness. Here's to the next 50 lol

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well done, did you get your Gold Medal. I collected mine at the Diabetic Clinic, no ceremony thank goodness. Here's to the next 50 lol
My GP applied for the medal and it arrived in the post :)

rstonepal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetic Educators, people who do not listen, people who do not actively try to make their situation better, people who think I am in their textbook, people who think I am a standard T1D.
Neither my GP nor my Endo will write the letter. My sister is a wee bit busy to write a letter, my birth documents have long since been destroyed. I have no way to prove I have been T1D since 1964. I did try. I thought it was funny and figure, my husband needs an award for living 54 years, not me. That man is dangerous.

rstonepal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Mom and Sister boiled mine. Did you all have to use those,,acid tabs? You remember, the ones that had the little blue specs in them, you drop them into your liquid mixture in the vial, shake it and count to 15 I think it was..10 maybe? Then it would turn 1 of 5 colors and you held it up to the paper swatch and,,,guessed. Then, remember how horrible that smell of that Ames pill was? And the vial got hot enough to blister a child's finger. My colors were either blue or orange, mostly in the orange. And that was called, low or high. since then, I have discovered, blue, or low, means >120 orange, or high, means 500+. Just looking back at what I did, how I acted and the tools I had, oh wow, I really must have something else going on that keeps me going.

Reactions: 2 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Remember tipping it on my hand once ( accidentally ) and getting a nasty burn lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My Mom and Sister boiled mine. Did you all have to use those,,acid tabs? You remember, the ones that had the little blue specs in them, you drop them into your liquid mixture in the vial, shake it and count to 15 I think it was..10 maybe? Then it would turn 1 of 5 colors and you held it up to the paper swatch and,,,guessed. Then, remember how horrible that smell of that Ames pill was? And the vial got hot enough to blister a child's finger. My colors were either blue or orange, mostly in the orange. And that was called, low or high. since then, I have discovered, blue, or low, means >120 orange, or high, means 500+. Just looking back at what I did, how I acted and the tools I had, oh wow, I really must have something else going on that keeps me going.

This is the one I used:

upload_2016-4-5_12-55-48.jpeg

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lol yes remember the ames testing kit well. It was amazing the colours you achieve by adding extra water to the mix, i.e. a lovely pale blue. I used to think I was fooling my mum for years little did I know she knew what I was doing.

rstonepal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This is the one I used:

View attachment 18428
I read your post wrong and thought you typed,, I use. Then I saw the picture and had one of those woosh moments combined with a very fast panic of, omg, where is mine? That one is an age thing, not diabetic. I had forgotten about the holder with the cap. Those came out in what, mid 70's? Prior to that we had to balance them in a cup or whatever we could find creative. Then lose the eye dropper or the vial. The only thing I never lost was the collection cup, the purple cup.

Are you CGMing?

rstonepal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lol yes remember the ames testing kit well. It was amazing the colours you achieve by adding extra water to the mix, i.e. a lovely pale blue. I used to think I was fooling my mum for years little did I know she knew what I was doing.
I just found out something WORSE than Mom finding out,,,Endo's know. I have a friend who at one point was the foremost Endocrinologist on the West Coast. He was an Endo for 40+ years. I did a presentation on my life for some of his associates when I was mentioning checking sugars vs Doctors and what I used to tell them as a kid to keep from being lectured again. David politely and in a very lighthearted manner explained how he would personally know I was fibbing to him.

Swaffeng

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations. I've reached 56 years with type 1. No complications, apart from cataracts. Fingers crossed, can keep healthy.

Reactions: 3 people

jeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know it alls, Doctors who don't have a clue about maintaining diabetes, Right wing politicians
Congratulations, by keeping an A1C in the 5 mmol range virtually all the time, I too have lasted forever it seem waiting for science. They told me I would be dead by 48 and never have children. I have two grown kids and a passel of grandchildren, been married for 45 years and have been type 1 since I was 3. I am now 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.