Type 1 6-10 mmolls?

Debstoller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went for a review yesterday and saw a consultant!!!!!! She said my blood sugars are a little low and she’d like them between 6 and 10! Anyone else been told this? They are normally between 4 and 7 and I thought this was normal.

K

Knikki

HMMM debatable I think I was always under the impression that 4-10 were 'normal' limits but reading around the forum there appears to be a change in the practises where they are trying to push T1D's into higher figures so the upper 40's low 50's for HB1Ac as an example.

They seem to have a fear of hypo's or T1D's became unaware of hypo's which can happen in long termers who run low figures because when you reach 4 you can drop very quickly, or so the DSN said last time I saw her.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HMMM debatable I think I was always under the impression that 4-10 were 'normal' limits but reading around the forum there appears to be a change in the practises where they are trying to push T1D's into higher figures so the upper 40's low 50's for HB1Ac as an example.

They seem to have a fear of hypo's or T1D's became unaware of hypo's which can happen in long termers who run low figures because when you reach 4 you can drop very quickly, or so the DSN said last time I saw her.
Its not just type1’s where theyre pushing higher hba1cs - I was first diagnosed as insulin dependent over 20 years ago, then it was changed to non- insulin dependent (subsequently T2) and now they’re just not sure.
Ive been on a stable dose of Gliclazide for 20 odd years which I combine with low carb diet in order to return hba1cs in the pre or non diabetic range but at my last review they thought 40 was too low because “you must be having hypos” and halved my meds - my sugars are not impressed, - not least at the moment where ive got a bug and they are stubbonly in double figures despite no food intake
I think theres some new focus on hypos across the board

Reactions: Knikki

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Your not alone, mine would like me to run higher too.......she scrutinised my meter to check I wasn't living in hypo land......... which I'm not, my body likes me to be between 5 something and 8, as its happy there I will continue to do what it prefers.........

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too. I was told to aim for Hba1c of 48-53. He was perplexed that mine was 36!