Type 1 6-MO-Baby foods

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding 6-months-old baby foods. Our son is 5,5 months old and we started to feed him with solid foods (various HiPP veggie and meat products ..). Sometimes after the meal his BG level hits the sky with unstoppable 15-16 mmol/L and it lasts about 3,5-4 hrs, the we have to hit him with some correctional shots to bring it down, just before his next meal. This dives us crazy and is very difficult to handle. Does anyone has some good experience on how to feed a T1D baby? We would be thankful ! (uses MiniMed 640g + CGM)

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no advice but i feel for you. doyou have access to a dietitian. how was baby on milk

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
no advice but i feel for you. doyou have access to a dietitian. how was baby on milk
We don't, but docs say it is ok. We should inject more insulin. But I do not feel right about that, particularly when we have to feed him again but must wait until it is at least 9-10 mmol/l and he cries, cries......:( Milk was great. Its just solids that make problem (they are high protein,fat and always >8g carbs). Feeding only with milk at this age could be an issue acc to docs.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
could you make your own up. have you tasted baby food its yuck.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What sort of level is he at pre-meal?

Have you tried pre-bolusing to give the insulin time to get to work before the food gets in stream? Many adults do this to avoid spikes, but obviously discuss with dsn to make sure it's appropriate for a wee one.

Less than 8g carbs seems very small. Is there a chance the lack of carbs is forcing him into ketosis, turning the protein through gluconeogenisis into glucose leading to highs at unexpected times after the bolus has worn out?

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What sort of level is he at pre-meal?

Have you tried pre-bolusing to give the insulin time to get to work before the food gets in stream? Many adults do this to avoid spikes, but obviously discuss with dsn to make sure it's appropriate for a wee one.

Less than 8g carbs seems very small. Is there a chance the lack of carbs is forcing him into ketosis, turning the protein through gluconeogenisis into glucose leading to highs at unexpected times after the bolus has worn out?

Before the meal we tend to be under 10 (e.g. 8-9). We cannot give him pre-bolus since we do not know how much he is going to eat at the end. For the milk we give pre-bolus for 100 ml since that he will drink for sure then the rest is added afterwards.

This last sentence I do not under stand it quite. How does that work? He was diagnosed 2,5 months ago, we are still new in this... Why would protein turn into BG?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Before the meal we tend to be under 10 (e.g. 8-9). We cannot give him pre-bolus since we do not know how much he is going to eat at the end. For the milk we give pre-bolus for 100 ml since that he will drink for sure then the rest is added afterwards.

This last sentence I do not under stand it quite. How does that work? He was diagnosed 2,5 months ago, we are still new in this... Why would protein turn into BG?

8 or 9 is quite high. Insulin has a harder job to do the higher the bg level is, so starting at 8 or 9 and then feeding means it will be having an uphill struggle right from the start, and the higher it then gets, the harder it gets to bring it back down. I'll usually try to be about 5 or 6 before eating as that is the usual between meals level to aim for.

Of course, that's just my take on it as an adult - there might be specialties involved in paediatric T1 which I'm not aware of, so, obviously discuss with professionals.

Gluconeogenisis? Carbs break down into glucose. Glucose is the primary and preferred source of energy. So much so that if the body isn't getting enough glucose from carbs, it'll break down protein and then make glucose from the amino acids via various chemical pathways. It's why people who do low carb diets still need to inject insulin. It takes a while for the comversion to happen which can lead to unexpected highs. I have no idea whether 8g per meal is too much or too little for a baby. If too little, then gluconeogenisis might be playing a part.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22591/

Shame about the pre-bolusing - it can make a real difference. Sometimes, if I'm eating out and am uncertain when the meal will be served or the portion size in a new place, I'll pre-bolus a small amount so there's at least some working. Might be an option if you're uncertain how much will be eaten.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked if he's thirsty? Decades ago I was looking after a baby for a neighbour one afternoon and was warned that 'he cries all the time' - but it was an emergency and so I agreed.
When he became agitated I realized he had really salty tears and gave him some warm water in a bottle. He was really thirsty, and after drinking the whole bottle he settled down and went to sleep.