60kg Overweight

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I got weighed at the Drs today and got told I am 60kg overweight, I have always known I was overweight but why had it taken until now for a Dr to tell me? I have been offered the Slimming World 12 week free membership but I’m scared and wondering what else may work?
Type 1 36 years
Basal/Bolus
When my daughter was going to SW she said there were 2 diabetics in her group one with T1 the other one with T2. The T2 was there to loose weight ..referred by her doctor....before she could have a knee replacement she lost about 3 stone and had the operation so SW can work for diabetics Just reduce the starchy carbs and replace with more vegetables actually the coordinator who runs the group can give you advice about that they are aware that a lot of diabetics eat low carb.. I know they do say cook your own meals don't live on the SW frozen ready meals. My daughter used their recipes and lost just over the 1st she wanted to and 3 years later the weight is still off she still eats the SW way as they say it is a life time change of eating not a diet.

LornaFarrell

I’ve been going to SW for a while and there’s at least one other T1 member in my group. As you have the referral then why not go along and see, nothing to loose!

You’ll be given their special leaflet on Diabetes, which is mainly aimed at T2 but still. SW encourages home cooking as much as possible, (even the ready meals and pre-made sauces come with the recipes) so it’s very easy to just cook more protein and less carbs. They even have a low carb plan, called SP, so you can look for SP recipes on the website etc and choose lower carb fruits and veg as they are marked “S” in the book.

It does vary depending on the consultant so if you don’t get on with the first one you meet do try another group. The motivation of the weekly weigh in, and the supportive community, are well worth it. Stay to group though, or you don’t get that benefit.

Good luck!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Slimming World does not have to be high carb, I eat about 80g carbs a day - I wouldn't say that is particularly high probably on the low side for most people.
Fair enough. The average is reportedly 240 g however they are low fat oriented so that makes me question how sustainable it is. I know it works for some but I found my group to be chocca with returners who'd fallen off the waggon and it was a way of eating that left me feeling hungry.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fair enough. The average is reportedly 240 g however they are low fat oriented so that makes me question how sustainable it is. I know it works for some but I found my group to be chocca with returners who'd fallen off the waggon and it was a way of eating that left me feeling hungry.
I guess we are all different, and one of my friends who has been v. successful on SW hardly ever eats carbs.
I never feel hungry, so I think it's sustainable for me, also the flexibility means I can go out and enjoy a curry and a glass of wine when I want to. I do like to cook though, and I do eat a lot of meat and veg.