640g in hot weather

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been sitting in the sun for the first time since getting my upgrade. I went in to test and found I was 15.1 with 0.3 ketones. I reached in for my pump (under T shirt, between boobs), to enter the BG result and was shocked at how hot it felt. The Veo never felt that hot, even in Italy.

Has any other 640g user been sunbathing, or gardening etc in the sun, and found the pump got hotter than before?

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dancer,

I am meant to start the 640g in August. Please do a review if possible. Are you using the sensors.

What was the ambient temperature?

Generally it's advised to keep all pumps out of the sun.

I've often get mine in a small frio cooling pack when sunbathing.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @dancer ,

I sat in the garden today for research purposes to see if my 640g got any hotter than my Veo used to. I put it into a dark drawstring pouch that my sunglasses came in and it was under my dark coloured top. It didn't feel worryingly hot after about 1 hour of me being in the sun and I can't say it felt hotter than my Veo used to, it was just warm to the touch. I wasn't being active though just sitting enjoying being in the sun !

Have you asked Medtronic about it?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not using the sensors, unfortunately. I can't afford self funding but when I heard Medtronic was giving starter packs along with the 640g, I was hoping to fund 1 sensor per month. Alas, this isn't happening in Glasgow.

There are good points about the 640g:

There are 3 different bolus increments, 0.1units, 0.05units, and 0.025units. I use the 0.025unit increment because I am insulin sensitive and use small amounts. This means that instead of the 3.1u that the Veo gave me for my usual breakfast, the 640g gives me 3.175u. I had been thinking I'd have to change my breakfast ratio but that's not the case now, due to the slight increase in bolus.

Although I've had the 640g for over a month, I'm still learning about and getting used to it. I'm sure there are lots more pros but I can't think of them at the moment.

There are some bad points I've noticed.

The clip is nowhere near as good as the one on the Veo. - My 1st 640g fell off my dressing gown when I bent to pick up the bath mat. It seemed to be working OK but was replaced a couple of weeks later when I noticed air was entering the tubing when the pump was detached for a shower.

Unfortunately air is coming in the tubing with the new pump too, so it looks like this is a fault in design.

There's a lot more button pushing compared to the Veo, but I presume this is a safety measure (I suppose this should be a "pro" rather than a "con").

Getting back to the hot weather, it was about 24 degrees. My pump wasn't in direct sunlight, it was under my T shirt. I've been in hotter temperatures with the Veo and it didn't heat up the way the 640g did yesterday.

I'm sure I've read that Medtronic doesn't recommend the use of Frio but maybe that was because the Veo wasn't waterproof.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @dancer ,

I sat in the garden today for research purposes to see if my 640g got any hotter than my Veo used to. I put it into a dark drawstring pouch that my sunglasses came in and it was under my dark coloured top. It didn't feel worryingly hot after about 1 hour of me being in the sun and I can't say it felt hotter than my Veo used to, it was just warm to the touch. I wasn't being active though just sitting enjoying being in the sun !

Have you asked Medtronic about it?

Thanks for doing the research! I haven't asked Medtronic yet. I feel that I've been phoning them so much already that they'll be sick of hearing from me! :oops:

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@dancer that's interesting you've seen air in your tubing... I've not, but perhaps not paying attention... When you disconnect to you suspend the pump or do you just leave it running...?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@dancer that's interesting you've seen air in your tubing... I've not, but perhaps not paying attention... When you disconnect to you suspend the pump or do you just leave it running...?

I leave it running. This morning, I used "fill cannula" to get rid of the air and 0.425 units went through before I saw insulin come through the "needle".

Reactions: 2 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
i'll have a closer look at mine and see if I can see any air bubbles...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i'll have a closer look at mine and see if I can see any air bubbles...

Medtronic is sending me yet another pump . . . I'm so embarrassed, I know it's silly, but I feel it's my fault! I did tell them I'd asked the forum if anyone else on the 640g had air coming into the tubing and that no one seemed to.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
All insulin heats up in warmer weather and some small bubbles will appear in tubing with any pump.

Accucheck told me that even coming indoors after working outdoors in the winter will cause bubbles...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All insulin heats up in warmer weather and some small bubbles will appear in tubing with any pump.

Accucheck told me that even coming indoors after working outdoors in the winter will cause bubbles...

The air entering the tubing, when detached from the pump, happened in cooler weather too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Certain people who leave pumps running in bathroom (whilst having shower or bath) will get suck back... Insulin going back up the tube..

Just getting up from a warm bed to a cooler room n then going outside etc can alter the bubbles and temperature in a pump and tubing.. I was told by accucheck if they look like champagne bubbles fine... If 2mm or larger prime them out.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Certain people who leave pumps running in bathroom (whilst having shower or bath) will get suck back... Insulin going back up the tube..

Just getting up from a warm bed to a cooler room n then going outside etc can alter the bubbles and temperature in a pump and tubing.. I was told by accucheck if they look like champagne bubbles fine... If 2mm or larger prime them out.

Medtronic didn't have an explanation for "suck back", hence the new pump.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My pumps.. Both accuchek always get suck back when left running in bathroom...just got used to priming it before reconnecting it!! Thought everybody got that till iHs said she didn't when left the pump on bed...