7.1 Fasting

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Should I be worried enough to go on meds?
The last week or so my fasting numbers have been consistent at 7.1 . I took a reading at 3 hours after breakfast (my usual homemade oat based muesli , yoghurt , cinnamon , a coffee and a piece of fruit and it was 5.7 which I consider pretty acceptable. Rest of the day I stick to pretty low carb /low GI meals except for my 1 piece of fruit with a meal. I do loads of exercise daily when at home as in 1 or 2 high intensity classes in the gym but am away at the moment just doing lots of walking. Weight is around 61 kilos - too much for my 5 foot height but I am muscly from the classes I do. I have loads of energy but only sleep 2 hour sleep stints but do go straight back to sleep.
Should I be worried enough to go back to the diabetic nurse at the surgery I see once a year if they bother to call me in!!
Thanks

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wouldn't worry about an fbg of 7.1. Fbgs are often higher because of Dawn Phenomenon. Your reading of 5.7 three hours after breakfast is ok, though it would be more useful to test two hours after eating.
Fruit, apart from berries, is quite high in sugar.

Reactions: Ricky