70 years and new medal.

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language
I don't post often but thought I would share this with you all.Last Thursday the 8th of February was 70 years since I was diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus ( as it was then called ),I was 10 years old.

Its been some journey but I managed,more by good luck than good management.I started out with one injection a day ,followed by two and then five for the last 25 years,recently reduced to four.I did all my injections myself from the start and reckon I'm in the region of 73000.Its a wonder I don't leak !

My medal arrived this morning, quite a lot bigger than the 50 and 60 year medals.A new 80 year medal has now been introduced,some thing to aim for.

I have been very lucky,I still have all my digits,sight is good,kidneys work,no neuropathy and was fitted with a pacemaker last Autumn.

We should all control our diabetes and not let it control us.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
absolutely brilliant ! This should definitely prove that diabetes doesn’t mean you’re going to die early. What newly diagnosed diabetics have to realise that this 80 year award was achieved when most of the technology was basically prehistoric in comparison to today , I know what it was like 43 years ago I can’t even imagine 27years before that , a true success story a massive well done

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't post often but thought I would share this with you all.Last Thursday the 8th of February was 70 years since I was diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus ( as it was then called ),I was 10 years old.

Its been some journey but I managed,more by good luck than good management.I started out with one injection a day ,followed by two and then five for the last 25 years,recently reduced to four.I did all my injections myself from the start and reckon I'm in the region of 73000.Its a wonder I don't leak !

My medal arrived this morning, quite a lot bigger than the 50 and 60 year medals.A new 80 year medal has now been introduced,some thing to aim for.

I have been very lucky,I still have all my digits,sight is good,kidneys work,no neuropathy and was fitted with a pacemaker last Autumn.

We should all control our diabetes and not let it control us.
You are an inspiration. Super super well done. Congratulations

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language
Thankyou all for your congratulatory messages.
My mother used to weigh everything, the scales were small and weighed as little as 1/4 ounce.She would make me " floating islands " and junkets.Every birthday I had a prawn salad which was a real treat.
I started work at 16 at Premium bonds,leaving home at 7am. The first day I had lunch at 12.30,no problems. The second day I had made friends with a girl who wanted to eat at 1.30. I had a hypo at 1pm and the ambulance was called.I was off work for a few days .

Wherever I worked ,everyone was most helpful with breaks and extra drinks.

I have had an interesting life and travelled the world.I am now a widow but still active and look after myself with no help.