71 year old on Fluoxetine

dusky

Hi, I graduated last summer from university. I will be 71 this month. I am Type2 diabetic. I have suffered from depression off and on most of my life owing to historical institutional abuse in care, but since graduating I am experiencing a new low of depression. Everyone keeps telling me it’s expected after graduation/or ‘at my age’ it’s normal. So, the doc has prescribed Fluoxetine. However, I’m really frightened of starting to take it. I’ve read it’s not suitable for people my age and readabout all the side effects you can have when you start on it. Anyone can advise me who has been on it would be helpful, please.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @dusky. I'm sorry to hear of your bad life experiences. I'm 68 soon and T2. I have experienced depression too for most of my life. I saw on my online medical records that I was diagnosed with depression at 14, though I wasn't told or given any treatment.
In my case I think it is genetic. I believe my father was probably bi-polar but never diagnosed as he wouldn't seek medical help due to the stigma of mental health for his generation. My sister has been diagnosed as bi-polar, and her son and two of my brothers took their own lives.
I asked for a consultation with psychiatric consultants as I thought I might be bi-polar, but they thought I have cyclothymia which is a sub-set of bi-polar disorder, but not so severe.
It means I used to have cycles of depression, stability and being 'high'. The episodes of depression were years apart at first. 10 years from my first at 33, then 7 years, then 5 years, then 3 years, and latterly just months apart.
I have been prescribed different anti-depressants over the years, first Bolvidon, then Dothiapin, and now Fluoxetine (Prozac).

The Fluoxetine does work for me, and I have decided to stay on it permanently. Some people find it doesn't help and then try other ant-depressants. Some ADs work for some people but not others. Some find it can have side effects, I didn't apart from increased anxiety for the first 2-3 weeks.
Like most ADs it does take time to build up in the body before it starts to take effect, usually around 6 weeks. I have stayed on it for 3 years now, and don't have any noticeable side effects. I have read that for some people it can start to be ineffective if taken for a long period of time. But not for me yet. If it did I would have to increase the dosage (I'm on the minimum dose now), or switch to another med.

Anyway, I hope that helps. If there is anything else you want to know, just ask.

Last edited: