7am Surgery Not Allowed To Be Admitted The Night Before

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Afternoon all,

A week Monday I'm having shoulder surgery with a GA *Joy* :banghead: and I'm really nervous about having a hypo the night before (nil by mouth for 6 hours) as my insurance wont pay for me to be admitted the evening before.

I rarely have two nights the same even using a closed loop I hypo (disconnection is the bane of my life) and the diabetic stupidity I've heard today even from medical professionals is astonishing.

Just needed to Vent

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just run slightly on the high side, and if your blood sugar does dip lower than expected it wont take more then a few mouthfuls of something sweet to bring you back up, go for flat sweet squash. Nil by mouth is really about solids or excessive fluids little sips will be fine.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would just run slightly on the high side, and if your blood sugar does dip lower than expected it wont take more then a few mouthfuls of something sweet to bring you back up, go for flat sweet squash. Nil by mouth is really about solids or excessive fluids little sips will be fine.

If only it were that easy. My bodies reaction to stress is either drop bg through the floor or roof and there isn't any knowing which it will do.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Glycogel??

I went hypo due to the hospital insisting I had the sliding scale out on.....and they were so long about sorting out the extra glucose (wrong ratio attached to me by them!!) that I ate 3 sugar cubes... wel not ate-sucked. This was 30 mins to my operation!!!

The ward nurse came back shouting at me saying the operation (for mastectomy) would be cancelled, she would have to get the anaesthetist etc now.... she left me when I told her I was going hypo to turn on a iv antibiotic drip for a lady with a high temperature.
Dis the anaesthetist cancel??? No, it was fine as sugar cubes dissolve.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Very rare hospitals anywhere take you in before hand. My 2nd op, they knew the previous hospital had seriously messed up with another sliding scale... and a serious hypo beforehand... the 2nd hospital though just brought forward admittance time from 10am to 7am.

My sensor had to be removed before my op I case they need to use an electric saw.....

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very rare hospitals anywhere take you in before hand. My 2nd op, they knew the previous hospital had seriously messed up with another sliding scale... and a serious hypo beforehand... the 2nd hospital though just brought forward admittance time from 10am to 7am.

My sensor had to be removed before my op I case they need to use an electric saw.....

Is that due to location or is there something about them that I don't know about?

My sensor is on my right arm, surgery on my left...

daisy22

I had a hypo before surgery the nurse gave me a small carton of Apple juice about an hour before.

I think running a bit high is best the evening before and if you hypo sugar cubes, but let them know before anaesthetic.

Good luck with surgery.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hope all goes well for you. No additional advice just fingers crossed for a hypo free night.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is that due to location or is there something about them that I don't know about?

My sensor is on my right arm, surgery on my left...

My sensor on my bum and op was breast removal. If using electric saw supposedly a risk of arcing????