7day fast blood glucose readings

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Although I ended my fast, I thought that since I'm still going to be intermittent fasting for the foreseeable future, I would continue with some daily updates regarding readings and diet.
Today's fbg-5.2
10:13am-4.9
I had my lunch, Caesar salad, a baby bell Gouda, 4oz leftover grilled steak 1/8 cup of walnuts and an apple.
My bg reading 2 hours later was 5.6
I also did a ketostix check and am still getting a moderate reading. I went shopping after lunch and bought 3 big bags of nuts so I'll always have healthy snacks in the house. Dinner tonight will be a nice tossed salad and grilled pork back ribs. 70+oz of water so far today plus my tea and coffee. No snacks whatsoever.

Reactions: Goonergal and Chook

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really enjoyed your diary to @Troubled1. I am just trying to do 600 calories a day and this is day one and I am famished so well done for what you achieved. And your results are pretty stunning are they not? You should be really pleased.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Fleegle I am quite pleased with my results. I think the best result is my wife has been watching me and has started eating lchf. I don't think she realizes what it is but she has pretty much cut out all sugars and refined carbs except for a bit of fruit.
I will be posting my results for pre and post dinner as well as bedtime results later.

Reactions: Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I ended my fast, I thought that since I'm still going to be intermittent fasting for the foreseeable future, I would continue with some daily updates regarding readings and diet.
Today's fbg-5.2
10:13am-4.9
I had my lunch, Caesar salad, a baby bell Gouda, 4oz leftover grilled steak 1/8 cup of walnuts and an apple.
My bg reading 2 hours later was 5.6
I also did a ketostix check and am still getting a moderate reading. I went shopping after lunch and bought 3 big bags of nuts so I'll always have healthy snacks in the house. Dinner tonight will be a nice tossed salad and grilled pork back ribs. 70+oz of water so far today plus my tea and coffee. No snacks whatsoever.

Thanks so much for this thread @Troubled1 really interesting.

Reactions: Fleegle

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today I took 7 readings. My fasting bg was 6.7
8:25am-6.8
10:55am-5.9
2:13pm-4.8
4:35pm-5.4
6:40pm-5.9
9:00pm-5.6
What I found interesting is my bg's were lower 2 hours after my meals than they were before. I did a ketostix check and still getting a small amount of ketones.
Dinner tonight was a cauliflower crust pizza and it was awesome.
Lunch was a large toss salad with bacon, grated cheddar and grilled chicken cubes. I also had a small grilled pork chop and a few walnuts. Right now, just over 2 hours past dinner I still feel really full. I may have to cut back on my lunch and dinner portion sizes. My bg's seem ok still but I don't like the gradual upward trend. I may still be taking in too much protein. I will have to try cutting it back and see how it goes.
Last nights bedtime bg was 6.1

Cheers

Reactions: Chook and Goonergal

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday
Fbg-5.2
9:50am-5.7
11:25am-6.3
3:10pm-5.1
6:00pm-6
7:50pm-6.5
I didn't take a bedtime reading as I was busy up until I went to bed and realized my meter was in my truck.
I only had lunch yesterday and my reading was again lower after a meal. I did have some ice cream last night and I'm surprised my fbg today is 5.7. I figured it would be much higher. I must avoid that temptation.
I showed a small amount of ketones again yesterday but after the ice cream "snackcident,", I'm sure I won't get a reading for a while.
I skip breakfast all the time so just keeping a tighter rein on my diet is having good results. I'll be picking up my wife from work at lunch for a quick picnic in the park as we have been doing all week. I hope my numbers get better.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Have you tried the Alpro icecreams? I recently tried the chocolate hazelnut one for the first time and was very impressed. I didn't think I would ever enjoy anything made from soya but I was wrong.

Your numbers are great!!

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Chook I'm on the other side of the pond in one of the colonies. I have never seen that brand of ice cream. I'll use google to find something that may be equivalent.
I like seeing my numbers back where they were a few years back. It's good knowing that meds aren't in my foreseeable future.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
D'oh - silly me - I should have know when you talked about having water in ounces :)

Alpro is mainly soya products and I've never liked soya so I put off trying it - but now I have I think I'm potentially an addict (and I'm a girl who used to like Haagen Dazs and Ben and Jerry's.)

Yes, I like looking back in my BG readings book (goes back to when I was first given a meter) - my first test was 33.4 - scary!

Reactions: TIANDB

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Same measure as you're using, I think. As I said - very scary. Same time test this morning with the same meter was 6.2. I remember feeling really, really ill when it was 33.4.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Chook my highest happened on Halloween. 18.3. I felt a little jittery but not terrible overall. I love my chocolate

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, I love chocolate, too. :( I think it was that, plus fruit and good quality bread that got my BG up that high. I have had two periods of 'diabetes denial' which ALWAYS involve chocolate, fruit and bread but that was before I started low carbing.

I felt reasonably okay in the high teens, it was the 20s and 30s that gave me all the horrible symptoms.

I'm pleased that your wife is joining you on LCHF - it made so much difference to me when my husband joined me on it - it made it seem very normal. (And I think he secretly thought my food was nicer than his.)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday's readings
Fbg-5.7
11:10am-6.3
12:20pm-6.5
3:00pm-6.1
8:10pm-6.3
9:00pm-(2hrs pp)5.1
11:10pm-6.5
I still find it strange that while not eating my numbers slowly climb during the day then 2 hours after eating drop below pre-meal levels.
I'll be fasting 24-36 hours since dinner yesterday (besides coffee).

Reactions: Chook and Goonergal

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Chook Just an update on my weight loss from my 7 day fast. After a week and a half I am still down 7 of the 15lbs lost. One thing I have done is skipping breakfast daily and lunch every second day. I have also reduced my protein intake as I have found through testing that I am quite sensitive to it. I have increased my vegetable intake quite a bit and my fats slightly.
According to my meter, my 7 day average bg's are 6.1 down from 6.6 my 30 day average is 6.6 and my 90 is 6.7. I still have a ways to go but my bg's are tending downward.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Troubled1 - that is great!! Its so easy to put the weight back on (as I have often found out) but keeping those 7lbs off is a real achievement. :)

Interesting that you've found you're sensitive to protein - its so often overlooked as a contributor to raising BGs. I recently did two weeks zero carb and found, after a couple of days, that my body accepted the change and just gave me the BGs I was getting on a less than 20g low carb diet. :(

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Chook my other two extended fasts were successful in lowering my bg's but the weight slowly crept back up. I'm now trying to dial in my diet/fasting to at least maintain my weight but hopefully lower it and at the same time keep my bg's heading on the downward trend.
Over this past weekend sitting around the campfire I was drinking the worst possible things and snacking on junk and was utterly shocked at having very good bg's all weekend. I did drink plenty of water, skip breakfast and lunch and had healthy low carb dinners though. I guess it boils down to, everything in moderation.

Reactions: Goonergal