8 years off the meds.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! I'm not trying to be difficult with any of my comments so please don't see it that way. In the last 2 weeks it's gone from nothing to 500mph with 0% info from my doctor or so called diabetic nurse. It was your hba1c is 64, your cholesterol is a little up, here take this tablet drink plenty and have a nice day. It's like ***! For me it's like walking through a minefield with a blindfold on and people shouting go left, go right.
I didn’t think you were. Sorry if I gave that impression. Sadly that experience isn’t unusual. (Most of us got similar. Btw statins raise bgl. And most of us don’t need them but they are in the tick list. A whole another topic for later). We’ve navigated the minefield with the help of those who went before us. And are trying to share the knowledge. Please don’t panic. It’s all quite manageable once you get your head around it. Take a read of the links in my signature below and come back and keep asking questions.

Justa_swim_coach

I didn’t think you were. Sorry if I gave that impression. Sadly that experience isn’t unusual. (Most of us got similar. Btw statins raise bgl. And most of us don’t need them but they are in the tick list. A whole another topic for later). We’ve navigated the minefield with the help of those who went before us. And are trying to share the knowledge. Please don’t panic. It’s all quite manageable once you get your head around it. Take a read of the links in my signature below and come back and keep asking questions.
Oh for god sake, I'm on statins as well plus steroids (which I know play hell with levels). It's going to be a big re education, not just for me but for the wife as well. I have just had a read through the links on your bio and like it says we have all been told low fat calorie controlled diet. I love my meat and if I have to add a second bit of chicken to replace the spuds or the rice or the Pasta lol then its what I have to do. My only concern is I read I have to be careful of diabetic ketoacidosis with the tablets I have been put on. Could this be brought on by cutting right back on carbs?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My only concern is I read I have to be careful of diabetic ketoacidosis with the tablets I have been put on. Could this be brought on by cutting right back on carbs?

I think you need to take some advice on that. Might be wiser to go carefully with the carb reduction - and monitor with your meter before and after meals.

What I’d find difficult in those circumstances is that many doctors will either not approve of or know little about a low carb way of eating, so may discourage it. I think also there were questions about your kidney and possible contra-indications with the medication you’ve been prescribed? Perhaps start with that discussion? You might be able to get an alternative or to agree to try using dietary change for a few months pending the next HbA1c?

Your meter would give you advance warning if the changes weren’t helping.

Editing to add a link to this study which might be helpful in informing any discussions you have with your GP: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6695889/

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for god sake, I'm on statins as well plus steroids (which I know play hell with levels). It's going to be a big re education, not just for me but for the wife as well. I have just had a read through the links on your bio and like it says we have all been told low fat calorie controlled diet. I love my meat and if I have to add a second bit of chicken to replace the spuds or the rice or the Pasta lol then its what I have to do. My only concern is I read I have to be careful of diabetic ketoacidosis with the tablets I have been put on. Could this be brought on by cutting right back on carbs?
Have you recently started statins? My hba1c rise from 48 to 54 when I started taking them but soon came down when I stopped due to other side effects. I’m diet controlled so do not know about the meds so can’t help you there re the effect of reducing carbs however I have managed to maintain my BS at non diabetic levels on approx 120g carbs per day. Over the years I’ve tested various breads, ways of being able to eat small portions of pasta and potatoes etc without too much effect on my BS so it may be only small tweaks that are needed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So it's really just protein protein protein. Where do you get your carbs from?
The minimal carbs I have usually come from the double cream in my coffee and sometimes milk or cream in tea.
The balance will come from odd treats like 90% chocolate or some oppo ice crem and raspberries (usually frozen with more double cream).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! I'm not trying to be difficult with any of my comments so please don't see it that way. In the last 2 weeks it's gone from nothing to 500mph with 0% info from my doctor or so called diabetic nurse. It was your hba1c is 64, your cholesterol is a little up, here take this tablet drink plenty and have a nice day. It's like ***! For me it's like walking through a minefield with a blindfold on and people shouting go left, go right.

No offence taken.. maybe I'm being a bit full on but with your medical history the meds you are on might not be very good for you.

Justa_swim_coach

I think you need to take some advice on that. Might be wiser to go carefully with the carb reduction - and monitor with your meter before and after meals.

What I’d find difficult in those circumstances is that many doctors will either not approve of or know little about a low carb way of eating, so may discourage it. I think also there were questions about your kidney and possible contra-indications with the medication you’ve been prescribed? Perhaps start with that discussion? You might be able to get an alternative or to agree to try using dietary change for a few months pending the next HbA1c?

Your meter would give you advance warning if the changes weren’t helping.

Editing to add a link to this study which might be helpful in informing any discussions you have with your GP: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6695889/
I had renal failure back in 2003 brought on by a heavy mixture of medicines for my gout. A year later and still to date my kidney function is normal and was checked before I was given empagliflozin. They will of course check full blood count in 10 weeks. I agree I will take it slow and monitor my meter each meal before and after rather than go at it like a bull in a China shop.

Justa_swim_coach

Have you recently started statins? My hba1c rise from 48 to 54 when I started taking them but soon came down when I stopped due to other side effects. I’m diet controlled so do not know about the meds so can’t help you there re the effect of reducing carbs however I have managed to maintain my BS at non diabetic levels on approx 120g carbs per day. Over the years I’ve tested various breads, ways of being able to eat small portions of pasta and potatoes etc without too much effect on my BS so it may be only small tweaks that are needed.
Been on statins for past 7 years. I changed to the ones I'm on now about 4 years ago as the first ones slowed/stopped my weight loss. I will however look into them with regards to upping my sugar level.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been on statins for past 7 years. I changed to the ones I'm on now about 4 years ago as the first ones slowed/stopped my weight loss. I will however look into them with regards to upping my sugar level.

Apart from "you have diabetes" did anyone explain why you should take them?
Have you had a full lipid panel recently that you would like to share the results of?

Sorry for the interrogation but it sounds like your GP Practice is very "old school" and will simply send you down the ever increasing drugs pathway because they still believe that T2 is a "chronic, progressive disease and you'll end up on insulin".

Mine is the same which is why I take great pleasure in confounding their expectations!

Justa_swim_coach

Apart from "you have diabetes" did anyone explain why you should take them?
Have you had a full lipid panel recently that you would like to share the results of?

Sorry for the interrogation but it sounds like your GP Practice is very "old school" and will simply send you down the ever increasing drugs pathway because they still believe that T2 is a "chronic, progressive disease and you'll end up on insulin".

Mine is the same which is why I take great pleasure in confounding their expectations!
Would have no idea about the full lipid panel sorry.
As for the statins it was as soon as I hit 40 I was put on them. Without asking I have no idea what my cholesterol was at the time?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would have no idea about the full lipid panel sorry.
As for the statins it was as soon as I hit 40 I was put on them. Without asking I have no idea what my cholesterol was at the time?

Are you in England?
You should be able to request access to all your test results online. Might be well worth doing.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With an hb1ac level of 64 many in here didn’t get diabetes meds prescribed initially and were “allowed” a 3 month trial of lifestyle changes first. Often encouraged, as all prescribing guidelines suggest lifestyle as the first line approach. Whilst definitely diabetic it’s not that high in the scheme of things, especially if you can get it back down reasonably quickly.

With your kidney history and the diabetes medication perhaps not being the best choice in that respect (read the label and quote if need be to add weight to your point) perhaps a discussion with your dr agreeing a grace period would be a good idea, removing the risk of dka as well as kidney side effects .

Although I personally am a strong believer in that the drs make their recommendations, I ask a lot of questions about side effects, benefits and alternatives and then make my decision. You are allowed to choose not to take them even if he recommends them. You can always go back to them later if need be.

and yeah extra meat and cheese in place of bland spuds and pasta. Such an awful choice eh?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My only concern is I read I have to be careful of diabetic ketoacidosis with the tablets I have been put on. Could this be brought on by cutting right back on carbs?
Dka is usually associated higher blood glucose levels, and higher ketones. Low carb should reduce bgl but if you go very low it could increase ketones to nutritional ketosis levels (lower than dka levels). Not the same thing at all as dka, especially with low bgl alongside them.

I can’t comment on how or why the emplagflozin causes dka so can’t comment on if low carb would be relevant. Personally I’d not expect it to for the reasons above, that’s not a medical opinion and better to check it out or come off them and definitely monitor. More commonly the issue with some medications and low carb would be going too low as the medication is now too strong for your new diet’s requirements and needs reducing. Again going steadily down in carbs and monitoring will alert you to this and your dr can reduce or stop the medication causing it either preemptively when starting the low carb way of eating or in response to meter readings.

DanW13

Just a point of interest, my severe acid reflux, chronic indigestion and bloating has almost entirely gone these days, unless I am really stressed. A combination of weight loss and very low carb, I think.
Same here, my acid reflux wasn’t severe, but caused me laryngeal & throat soreness for over 6 years, also had the bloating, abdominal pain & flatulence! 6 months on low carb & all the above have resolved, including the flatulence!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Justa_swim_coach
It does all sound overwhelming at first, and particularly so with no support from own GP - I was diagnosed on 1st lockdown day and finally saw someone this week, nearly a full year later.
Remember the whole diabetes thing is lifelong, so its a marathon not a sprint to solve it. Taking things steady, particularly with your medical history and medications is a sensible approach.
Nothing may be immediate but you will get there.
Excuse those of us who are evangelical and enthusiastic about what works for us. Most of us have been led down the garden path or round the houses before getting here.
Read the links, research and learn. You will find a way that works for you in time

Reactions: Justa_swim_coach

kjhnor

I was diagnosed pre diabetes 3 years ago at 47.5. After 9 months through diet got this down to 37. After 2 years this went back upto 49. I had put weight on due to lockdown and recently felt a little unwell. My blood test revealed I had shot upto 70 at 123 kg. I am 6ft 3in. My bp was very high, have been on bp tabs for years. Long story short put on Statins and Metformin. Must admit became overwhelmed for a few days. After 4 weeks I have lost 11kgs. Cut out snacking, alcohol all together along with bread pasta etcetc, Choclate ( my failing) Eating low carb veggies. No potatoes. Non caffiene coffee and have increased my exercise. BP down to 130/79 when relaxed ( not often lately due to lockdown ) Good reading all the advice and comments.

If I am to be honest. This has frightened me.