800 Calorie Shake Diet - Asda

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
For the past 10 weeks I have been following an ‘Atkins’ style diet, less than 20g carbs a day.
My weight loss has stalled the past 2 weeks, so am considering starting the shake diet 3x200 cal drinks a day plus 200cal veggies

Does anyone know if the Asda great shape meal replacement shakes (ready made) are any good?
They contain 17g carbs of which 12g is sugar.

Obviously I am a touch concerned about the larger intake of carbs and sugars, but will use my glucose meter to keep an eye on things.

My energy is terrible, exercise is a struggle, and I’m hoping it may be down to 20g of carbs a day. So really hoping these shakes will reboot my system as such!

Has anyone else had success with this kind of diet using the said Asda shakes?
Thanks! :)

Reactions: SueO246

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Petaluk , that's a lot of carbs and sugar! You say you are following the Atkins type diet, have you tried the full LCHF one? :)

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was looking at the exante shakes which were similar carbs/sugar as someone guessed these were used in the TV program fast fix, but the Asda ones are cheaper and ready made.

dipsydo

We are all different in how we react to change in diets. I can give my experience which was that I lost steadily a pound or so a week and lost about 2 and a half stone and then stalled for a few weeks then suddenly lost 7 lbs in a week then stalled again for a few more weeks and then lost another 7 lbs again in a week. It seemed almost that my body took a rest while it re-evaluated my new diet . I am still awaiting to lose the final 7 lbs to get to my ideal . The other thing that I find for weight loss is that I am particularly vulnerable to protein in my diet and can have slightly higher carbs (60 or so ) but need to keep my protein to a hand sized piece of chicken or similar .. higher fats ( ie tend to eat olives ) do not seem to impact me as much and is useful for sating hunger. If I do not drink enough water that can also stop weight loss. I also try and finish my eating by 6 pm and move my major food intake to around midday.

I think it can be all a bit trial and error.

You might find that the the shakes work but if your blood sugars are ok you could just vary timing of intake , may be try 16:8 ( no food for 16 hrs and eat in a 8 hr window) and or increase water and see if that shifts the stall

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First weight lose stalling for a few week is normal, often if people keep to low-carb they find that the weight loss starts again for some unknown reason. Personally I consider intermittent fasting with for example one low carb meal a day to be a good option for people to try if needed. A few people find that daily is limiting their weight loss and therefore have to go dairy-free on a low-carb diet to continue weight loss.

The shake based diets do work with the main issue being what someone eats after ending the eight weeks however you have that problem sorted out as after the 8 weeks you could go back to low carb food so as not to regain the weight.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First weight lose stalling for a few week is normal, often if people keep to low-carb they find that the weight loss starts again for some unknown reason. Personally I consider intermittent fasting with for example one low carb meal a day to be a good option for people to try if needed. A few people find that daily is limiting their weight loss and therefore have to go dairy-free on a low-carb diet to continue weight loss.

The shake based diets do work with the main issue being what someone eats after ending the eight weeks however you have that problem sorted out as after the 8 weeks you could go back to low carb food so as not to regain the weight.
Thank you that’s helpful :)