Reactions: Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have a look through the forum Search using '800 calories', 'Newcastle Diet', 'ND' and 'Blood Sugar Diet' as your Search terms. We have had quite a few threads on the subject (too many to list, I am afraid) with all sorts of different outcomes, from success to failure. They make a very informative read. :)

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I have. Off metformin after 1 week. It's the best thing I've ever done. Have you tried it yet?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have. Off metformin after 1 week. It's the best thing I've ever done. Have you tried it yet?
Are you still eating 800 cals and what are your meals like? Protein is messing me up. I could live on avocado. Lol. I hope you don't say shakes. Haha

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes,
I eat normally, I just avoid putting weight back on.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Can you give us a hint

I did a low fat, calorie controlled diet for about a year or so, low GI, foods, checking with a meter, so I could eat a balanced diet, without spikes.
This got my weight down considerably, and helped get my BG back into the normal range.
I then finished it off with an 800 calorie diet for 6 weeks, three tesco shakes, and a dry fried veg stir fry normally.
This seems to remove the stubborn visceral fat, and now I can eat any diet.
I eat healthily, a mediterranean diet when I can.
I still avoid most fats, mainly as they're too calorific, and when I do eat then, I always avoid saturated fats as they push my cholesterol through the roof.
But if I'm out, I can eat carbs, I eat in restaurants, fish and chips, greggs pasties, etc, not my first diet of choice, but convenient if I need food.
I avoid cakes, sugar, pasta, potatoes etc still, but really as I have lost my taste for them.
And as I don't want to increase my weight again, I don't waste my food intake on empty calories.

My BG, Hba1c, and other blood tests have been normal for several years now.
I was asked if I wanted to come off metformin, but declined, so I take 500mg a day for the other benefits it seems to have.

My weight does fluctuate, but if I gain a few pounds, I just eat less for a while until I lose it.
So I'm quite happy to overeat on special occasions, then diet again later.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
avoid saturated fats as they push my cholesterol through the roof.
You have made this claim a number of times and I've always wondered as you don't eat saturated fats how you know this for sure. Also which part of your cholesterol do they raise?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You have made this claim a number of times and I've always wondered as you don't eat saturated fats how you know this for sure. Also which part of your cholesterol do they raise?

Yes, it's surprising the number of people on here that simply can't understand how we aren't all the same.
Amazing, considering how the NHS gets criticised for it's one size fits all attitude.
The simple answer is, I worked with my HCP's they will test my bloods when I ask them, and after reversing my diabetes, I modified my diet to get the rest of my blood profile where I wanted it. I made most of the changes three of years ago, and had a full lipid test every three months that year to progress changes. So for me, I know it works.

Saturated fats,
overall cholesterol 7.4
trigs 1.6
HDL 1.6
LDL 5.1

Present diet, no saturated fats
overall 3.5
trigs 0.72
HDL 1.4
LDL 1.8

I would be a little bit happier will a slightly higher HDL, and a lower LDL, and I'm sure those on here actively driving their LDL up may be horrified, but I'll take my chances, it's worked for 6 years of being T2

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ha no, he eats all sorts of **** down the pub or when out, he's said so himself.

I tend to take little notice to be honest, I'd advise the same.

Good man, try the ignore button, you'll have less stress, and that'll raise your BG.

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you still eating 800 cals and what are your meals like? Protein is messing me up. I could live on avocado. Lol. I hope you don't say shakes. Haha
Hi Kristin, no I finished the 8 weeks of low carb 800 calories before Christmas. The meals are so tasty and very simple to make. I would never go back to eating pasta, rice, potatoes, grains and sugar again. Well may be the odd treat but back on it the next day. Such a healthy lifestyle but as you say, you need to keep an eye on protein and keep it moderate. How do you feel you are doing?

Reactions: ringi

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kristin, no I finished the 8 weeks of low carb 800 calories before Christmas. The meals are so tasty and very simple to make. I would never go back to eating pasta, rice, potatoes, grains and sugar again. Well may be the odd treat but back on it the next day. Such a healthy lifestyle but as you say, you need to keep an eye on protein and keep it moderate. How do you feel you are doing?
How am I doing in regards to what? I'm vlc moderate protein and enough healthy fat to satisfy. Last 3 6 month a1cs were all 5.1.
Recently found the extremely small amount of protein I was eating with bf requires 150% more insulin. So better now with less insulin especially in the morning. Ate a bit extra protein 2 nights ago and woke up with a much higher fasting than normal (117). I'm rarely EVER that high. Now comes the one bad meal equals 3 bad days drama.

I don't do well with a high calorie diet or large meals. It was just amazing how much less than one tiny ounce of protein in the morning required so much more insulin! I needed one unit when I ate avocado and less than an ounce of turkey or salmon. Then an hour later another unit. Then two hours later 1/2 unit to stop the rise. With just avocado I need 1/2 unit and two hours later another half unit. That's it. One less stick and 150% less insulin.

These crazy nuances. ...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

What level of carbs do you eat now, and what can you tolerate?

Reactions: Freema

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What level of carbs do you eat now, and what can you tolerate?
I only eat complex carbs such as leafy greens and avoid all refined carbs plus sugar. I keep under 50g if possible most days. I also mix in with fasting days once a week which is actually far easier than I thought it would be. Once you're eating low carb and high healthy fat it's pretty easy to switch to a fasting day and you really don't get that hungry. Fasting blood sugar this morning was 5.2.

LCHF for life

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How am I doing in regards to what? I'm vlc moderate protein and enough healthy fat to satisfy. Last 3 6 month a1cs were all 5.1.
Recently found the extremely small amount of protein I was eating with bf requires 150% more insulin. So better now with less insulin especially in the morning. Ate a bit extra protein 2 nights ago and woke up with a much higher fasting than normal (117). I'm rarely EVER that high. Now comes the one bad meal equals 3 bad days drama.

I don't do well with a high calorie diet or large meals. It was just amazing how much less than one tiny ounce of protein in the morning required so much more insulin! I needed one unit when I ate avocado and less than an ounce of turkey or salmon. Then an hour later another unit. Then two hours later 1/2 unit to stop the rise. With just avocado I need 1/2 unit and two hours later another half unit. That's it. One less stick and 150% less insulin.

These crazy nuances. ...
It sounds like you're doing really well and are well on top of your medication. It's not easy though is it. Out of interest, are you hoping to reduce your insulin over time or have you already begun doing so with your approach?