80's sweets

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Long story short.

I was born in '86 so having a 30th birthday party in 3 weeks, looking for some '80's sweets as I am being such a big kid, I want to make up little goodie bags with sweets from when I was a kid but I have no idea what to put in them!

All I know is white mice (??) Cause my Mum loves them.

Anyone able to help?

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmmm I grew up in the eighties. I loved my ***** bears (haribo gold bears are the only ones I know of today.) I also loved love hearts, smarties, chocolate drops, Kendal mint cakes, and snickers. In terms of lolly pops I loved most of them, and preferred dip dabs over sherbet fountain (never liked licorice I'm afraid).

You have a large range to choose really, but I couldn't say what was singularly eighties though. Interestingly I used love hearts in my wedding favours.

Reactions: 2 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmm I grew up in the eighties. I loved my ***** bears (haribo gold bears are the only ones I know of today.) I also loved love hearts, smarties, chocolate drops, Kendal mint cakes, and snickers. In terms of lolly pops I loved most of them, and preferred dip dabs over sherbet fountain (never liked licorice I'm afraid).

You have a large range to choose really, but I couldn't say what was singularly eighties though. Interestingly I used love hearts in my wedding favours.

Thank you!!! At least I now have an idea of what to get. Had a look online & nothing really stands out as being 80s but at least you have saved me looking about the shops like a numpty haha

N

NicolaB70

Here's a few: drumstick lollipops, blackjacks, wham bars, red shoelaces, sherbet flying saucers, opal fruits now called starburst, fruitella chews, spangles, pear drops, popping candy, fruit pastilles, curly wurly, milky bar, Milky Way to name but a few
Edited to add. Amazon sell a retro 80's sweet gift box with a huge selection of different sweets

Reactions: 6 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a few: drumstick lollipops, blackjacks, wham bars, red shoelaces, sherbet flying saucers, opal fruits now called starburst, fruitella chews, spangles, pear drops, popping candy, fruit pastilles, curly wurly, milky bar, Milky Way to name but a few
Edited to add. Amazon sell a retro 80's sweet gift box with a huge selection of different sweets

Thank you!!

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's the "A Quarter Of" website, that sells classic (for want of a better word) sweets. Link here.

I see that although you seem to be able to get sweet tobacco, you can't get sweet cigarettes any more. I wonder why? :D

Reactions: 6 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Oh yes! I remember all of those lol!

@MH2010 you have a wide variety to choose from and I hope you find something that suits both your tastes and your pocket...

Reactions: 4 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's the "A Quarter Of" website, that sells classic (for want of a better word) sweets. Link here.

I see that although you seem to be able to get sweet tobacco, you can't get sweet cigarettes any more. I wonder why? :D

Hmm now I'll have to go to one of the classic sweet shops in Rochester to check, although last time I was there they still had the sweet cigarettes. Not heard of sweet tobacco before though.....

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's one in Winch as well, though I don't know if it sells sweet ciggies. For some reason, I don't go into sweet shops very much, any more. ;)

N

NicolaB70

Oh yes! I remember all of those lol!

@MH2010 you have a wide variety to choose from and I hope you find something that suits both your tastes and your pocket...
Cola bottles, milk bottles, I can't remember what they were called but they were white chocolate buttons with 100s and 1000s on the top, the mallow bananas, jelly snakes, tooti fruitees, jelly tots, dolly mixtures, cola cubes, Bon bons.

My mothers local newsagent until recently had a big penny sweet counter with sweets starting at 1p doing up to 10p. He was always very busy. He also had the really big drums of different sweets on shelves.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cola bottles, milk bottles, I can't remember what they were called but they were white chocolate buttons with 100s and 1000s on the top, the mallow bananas, jelly snakes, tooti fruitees, jelly tots, dolly mixtures, cola cubes, Bon bons.

My mothers local newsagent until recently had a big penny sweet counter with sweets starting at 1p doing up to 10p. He was always very busy. He also had the really big drums of different sweets on shelves.

Ah yes I miss the penny sweet counter!!!! it's not the same buying a tiny bag of haribo to when I used to go to the penny sweet counter and buy my 10p's worth of ***** bears lol.....

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long story short.

I was born in '86 so having a 30th birthday party in 3 weeks, looking for some '80's sweets as I am being such a big kid, I want to make up little goodie bags with sweets from when I was a kid but I have no idea what to put in them!

Anyone able to help?
Try this site - sells a lot and little bags already done too

https://www.thetraditionalsweetshop.co.uk/section.php/8/1/retro-sweets-childhood-memories

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not good on the 80's sweets, but Rhubarb & Custard have been around for ever more and you still see them on sale in newsagents and some supermarket chains.

Agree with @NicolaB70, Amazon have a good range of retro sweets throughout the decades.

Have a great birthday @MH2010 :)

Reactions: 3 people

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
I remember being given a pack of sweet cigarettes. Even though I enjoyed them, I was rather uncomfortable with them, although my mum had explained they weren't real ones.

Lyn221

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Long story short.

Anyone able to help?
Hh

Eiliannog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Long story short.

Anyone able to help?
Palma violets, cinder toffee, sherbet fountains,

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember being given a pack of sweet cigarettes. Even though I enjoyed them, I was rather uncomfortable with them, although my mum had explained they weren't real ones.

I can understand that, If I'd been given any my parents (esp my father) would have gone through the roof. It wouldn't have mattered that they weren't real.