80's sweets

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think most of the sweets are more or less the same. We did this for my daughters 18th birthday party recently. We have a 'Home Bargains' store near us and it was great for packets of pick-n-mix type sweets and worked out cheaper than the internet sites. Have fun!

Reactions: 2 people

Mairhi3052

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Long story short.

I was born in '86 so having a 30th birthday party in 3 weeks, looking for some '80's sweets as I am being such a big kid, I want to make up little goodie bags with sweets from when I was a kid but I have no idea what to put in them!

All I know is white mice (??) Cause my Mum loves them.

Anyone able to help?
Hi there is a website called "a quarter of" and it does all the old style sweets from the 60s 70s and 80s. Have a look. They do party packs etc. Have fun. I can believe I am advocating sweets on a diabetes web site

Reactions: 4 people

billbod50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fish and greens
Long story short.

I was born in '86 so having a 30th birthday party in 3 weeks, looking for some '80's sweets as I am being such a big kid, I want to make up little goodie bags with sweets from when I was a kid but I have no idea what to put in them!

All I know is white mice (??) Cause my Mum loves them.

Anyone able to help?
Hi
there is a sweet shop in chichester west sussex that has sweets from the forties to present day
i will try and find its mane
william

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's one in Winch as well, though I don't know if it sells sweet ciggies. For some reason, I don't go into sweet shops very much, any more. ;)

I went into the sweet shop in Rochester today (with good reason! I'm using boiled sweets to control my nausea), but couldn't find any sweet cigs so it could be that they're no longer produced....

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there is a website called "a quarter of" and it does all the old style sweets from the 60s 70s and 80s. Have a look. They do party packs etc. Have fun. I can believe I am advocating sweets on a diabetes web site

Yes it is quite ironic isn't it?!!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a fun idea, and Google will do you proud ! My search for "sweets in the Uk 1980s" turned up literally 100s of sites, some of which will help not only with the sweets you're asking for, but will sell them to you as well.

Have fun, Robbity
(a child of the 1940s/50s, who ate (all in very small quantities as sweets were rationed then): sweet cigarettes, dolly mixtures, smarties, and the heads off jelly babies - but was not allowed chewing gum which apparently "was made with the sweepings off the sweet factory floor" and if swallowed would "wrap itself round your heart and kill you" :wideyed: according to my otherwise sensible and rational mum!!! )

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No !! chewing gum bunged you up if your swallowed it and you could not go to the toilet and you DIED !! ( I know cos my grandmother told me in 1948 )
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No !! chewing gum bunged you up if your swallowed it and you could not go to the toilet and you DIED !! ( I know cos my grandmother told me in 1948 )
CAROL

We were told as kids it bunged you up :)

Loved Beech Nut Chewing Gum as a boy, you use to be able to buy it in the vending machines outside little newsagent shops.

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No one has mentioned choclick. It came from a big jar behind the counter and was a chocolate powder/gratings/shavings. You licked your finger stuck it in and it got covered in chocolate and you licked it off. Fun times! Can't imagine why you don't see it in corner shops now ;-)

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No one has mentioned choclick. It came from a big jar behind the counter and was a chocolate powder/gratings/shavings. You licked your finger stuck it in and it got covered in chocolate and you licked it off. Fun times! Can't imagine why you don't see it in corner shops now ;-)

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that sounds so disgustingly full of germs and yukkyness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really do not even remember that!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just remembered, our friends were allowed chewing gum and were also generous enough to share, but with the warning from their mum that, again, we mustn't swallow it but in this case because there were lumps of coal in the middle! Dangerous time childhood, it's a wonder we ever survived..:D

Robbity

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that sounds so disgustingly full of germs and yukkyness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really do not even remember that!
It was the most popular thing where I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s. I think its popularity was may be just a local thing! It's nostalgic yet gross thinking back!

Reactions: 3 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
The ones I remember from the penny chew tray was black jacks and fruit salad:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I used to buy tiny hard gums- choose two of the same colour, lick them, then stick them on my ear lobes as pretend earrings. Can anyone remember what they were called? They were tiny, round, scented, hard gums. Not midget gems This would be in the late 50s/early sixties

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was the most popular thing where I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s. I think its popularity was may be just a local thing! It's nostalgic yet gross thinking back!

Maybe an area thing or it may be that I just never knew about it.

Reactions: 5 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gob stoppers, sherbet pips, cola cubes, pear drops, dolly mixtures, weird alphabet chalky tasting sweets, mint humbugs and yes those cigarettes!!