Linskic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi I got my bloods done … the one that test over average of 3 months… Thursday it’s come back as 87. I really don’t understand any of this. I’m so frustrated no information from woman who took my bloods just an appointment set up for me towards the end of the month with a diabetic nurse. I’m so depressed. I have no clue what this number means. Can anyone help pls. Thanks in advance

Linskic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
9DD68A05-9AA0-48DD-B43C-59515EFD360E.jpeg

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's high. The nurse will advise but you'll want to aim to bring it down to mid 40's (and maybe lower) over the long term. Don't panic that it's in the 80's. Plenty of people on this forum had numbers over 100 when first diagnosed.

It's a measure of your average blood glucose over approx 3 momths. So everything you do to manage blood glucose will help bring the number down.

Reactions: Linskic

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
Just to be explicit and clear; the level of blood sugar this indicates means you have a form of diabetes. Its not the sort of test where a high number one day might just be a fluke.

Its not good news, but its something that can be managed and prevented from progressing by measures that are in your power to perform. Its possible to put it completely in remission. However it will be something that you need to look to manage personally, not rely on your GP or diabetes nurse. The fact that you made the effort to come here and post is a positive first step.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank folks. Feel like I’ve been put on death row.
Please share what makes you feel like this, maybe we can help.
Many members on here felt devastated when they were first diagnosed, but if you read their posts from only a couple of weeks later that despair often has changed to optimism, and a couple of months later they often find that their next blood test is much, much better too!

I'll tag @VashtiB for you, she had a very hard time coping with her T2 diagnosis initially, but is doing very well right now, I hope this will help.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank folks. Feel like I’ve been put on death row.
Well - I started off at 91 and was back in normal numbers in 6 months and feeling so much better.
I had been nagged into eating a high carb diet, everything low fat, and it really did not suit me at all. I felt ill and was almost spherical when diagnosed. I lost lads of weight, apparently - I refuse to do anything more about my weight just to have someone sit in judgement of me.
These days I am still going on the same way and eating what I know is good for me.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Linskic

As @Antje77 indicated I had a very tough time when first diagnosed. I am sure the phrase 'I'd rather be dead' passed my lips on more than one occasion. As mentioned I'm doing much better now :)

I was devastated for so many reasons- My doctor had the position that it was a progressive disease ad nothing I could do about it. She also didn't believe me when I told her I wasn't losing weight eating 'healthy' carbs.

I found this site and it literally helped change my life.

I am a carboholic - I haven't met a carb I didn't love. The thought of giving them up was something that I didn't think I could face. However, at least the prospect was there that by doing so my diabetes didn't have to be progressive. I went keto and my diabetes is in remission and is not marked as such in my medical records.

The amazing people here gave me help, support, advice and let me rant while I was throwing myself the biggest pity party ever seen.

I will suggest that you post here- I can confidently say that you will meet the most wonderful people here who will be quick to offer suggestions and support.

The other this I suggest is to get a meter. The meter will help you make decisions that can change your life.

Welcome and good luck.

Linskic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A meter?
I wouldn’t say it was self pity … more of an existential crisis. I’m not poor me , why me how unfair …that type of person . Just more overwhelmed and have no real understanding of this disease.. it’s like being pushed into a pool without being able to swim. For me. Im angry. Why sell us food that makes us sick. It’s so much bigger than me.
I’m also exhausted mentally emotionally… grieving the loss of my father 3 months ago my mum has cancer that can’t be treated and my loss of health status … a limitation has been placed upon my life that’s a fact and what I’m feeling isn’t sorry for myself its my truth
it’s entirely normal for me to think and feel this way … just not long term … it’s not even to do with food ..I needed a lifestyle overhaul..it’s the thoughts of the possible outcomes … amputation ect ect ect. The what ifs …it’s more anxiety based. I’ve suffered from depression for a number of years and it was in remission… I’ve just been catapulted rite back into it. The fact that I’m a single parent and I’m always the strength of the family. It’s a massive blow..:adjustment mentally and emotionally and yesterday I felt like I couldn’t handle it… I still feel to some degree
The same today but god only gives situations to people who can handle it. I’m not used to getting needing nor asking for support, maybe it’s my ego talking?
but the fact I’m here shows me I do require it and I’m trying to refind my attitude of gratitude but again it’s a process which is very personal to each of us. And takes time. Progress not perfect but what I will say is…
I need to educate myself and find a guide so I feel more empowered and less alone and not lost in the mire. It all comes from fear… I’m afraid when I’m afraid I shut down and impending doom is my go to. See how naive I am I don’t even know what a meter is! I’m assuming it’s to monitor bloods? … I’ve had no advice or guidance from any of the medical staff but I do have an appointment towards the end of the month. It’s just this in the mean time phase. I’ve been handed a life threatening label and it’s sent my head west.

Thanks for your share … it’ helpful and has allowed me to open up and maybe understand/ process how I’m feeling as I’m not good with my emotions or understanding them at the best of times.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I need to educate myself and find a guide so I feel more empowered and less alone and not lost in the mire.
Let me share a link to get started for you, it'll get better!
Others will be happy to share more useful experiences. :)
I find this very informative on how T2 works, and it also gives you practical handles to get started:

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Linskic

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A few practical bits:
T2s usually have to fund our own meters to measure our blood glucose/sugars. The meters are cheap but the test strips are an ongoing cost.

I started by measuring everything - checking how many carbs in each meal and snack. Then checking my BG before and two hours after every meal until I understood how many carbs my body would tolerate.

I also thought hard about my favourite foods, the things that would trip me up, and found keto substitutes for most of them. And about the foods I should now consider as guilt-free that we'd been told to avoid! I welcomed back cheese, eggs, butter and full fat milk (milk in smaller amounts)
It was a big overhaul but worth it.

Linskic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks folks. It’s not a club I’m sure any of us wanted to be in. But here we are. I’m sorry if I’ve come across rude and selfish.
Thanks for the advice shares and links. Your experience is my hope xxxx

Linskic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Let me share a link to get started for you, it'll get better!
Others will be happy to share more useful experiences. :)
I find this very informative on how T2 works, and it also gives you practical handles to get started:
Wow thanks. I don’t quite understand yet but I’m sure it will sink in soon. It takes me a while to process information xxx it’s like my brain is allergic to numbers but I better start to learn xxxx

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77

Linskic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A few practical bits:
T2s usually have to fund our own meters to measure our blood glucose/sugars. The meters are cheap but the test strips are an ongoing cost.

I started by measuring everything - checking how many carbs in each meal and snack. Then checking my BG before and two hours after every meal until I understood how many carbs my body would tolerate.

I also thought hard about my favourite foods, the things that would trip me up, and found keto substitutes for most of them. And about the foods I should now consider as guilt-free that we'd been told to avoid! I welcomed back cheese, eggs, butter and full fat milk (milk in smaller amounts)
It was a big overhaul but worth it.
So I have to prick myself? Eek. Is this every single day. For life?? It’s like my worst fear ( needles and blood ) have come to get me lol. Oh dear oh dear I better suck it up asap. My survival depends on it. I don’t even understand the numbers to know what’s good and what’s not. This is really a lot to grasp isn’t it xxxx

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
You want to do metering initially before and then 2 hours after meals to see how they affect you, and then compare that to what you ate. If the after number is less than 2mmol/l above the start, and below 8.5 mmol/l overall, you're good to eat that again and don't need to keep re-testing for that particular meal choice.

You don't need to do it every day, just good to know what meals are safe, caution/ only occasionally or best avoided completely.

The meter requires a little sharp stab from a pricking device into the side (not the soft sensitive pad!) of the fingertip; you load it, arm it, then fire it off and it makes a little pinhole prick that barely bleeds once you get the depth set right. Its fairly minimal pain and the needle is invisible during this. But yes, it does mean ultimately massaging out a drop of blood from your finger that you then need to hold the strip and meter up to for sampling.

If thats going to be a problem, then consider the option of a libre 2 continual glucose meter - goes on the arm for 2 weeks, no blood, works with your phone and gives continual blood sugars. Its not cheap but they do a discount trial for new users.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow thanks. I don’t quite understand yet but I’m sure it will sink in soon. It takes me a while to process information xxx it’s like my brain is allergic to numbers but I better start to learn xxxx
It's a marathon, not a sprint, take your time to let it sink in, you have all the time you need!
And don't forget to go outside and enjoy the weather, no use being glued to the internet all they without a decent break. ;)
I’m sorry if I’ve come across rude and selfish.
You haven't. You've come across as shocked and bewildered, and it sounds like you're starting to do better already. ;)

As for fingerpricking, you don't exactly have to, but it can be a wonderful and motivating tool. It can give you instant information on everything you eat, making it that much easier to start to work out what works for you and what doesn't.

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
its certainly not a death sentence. Have a discussion with Diabetic nurse. She will probably encourage you take Metformin at that level. But not sure what your diet or exercise lifestyle is like at present but certainly something to review.The advice around finger pricking for a least a week to understand how you react to certain foods is sound.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The finger-pricking is barely a pinch, and you don't see any needles because the needle is housed in a plastic tube like a pen. So rest assured that you can manage this without trauma.

Linskic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
its certainly not a death sentence. Have a discussion with Diabetic nurse. She will probably encourage you take Metformin at that level. But not sure what your diet or exercise lifestyle is like at present but certainly something to review.The advice around finger pricking for a least a week to understand how you react to certain foods is sound.
It’s all about perspective isn’t it. I totally lost mine … I’d be stripping the joy out of the rest of my days if I were to carry on in that headspace. At the end of the day we all have the same 24 hours and no one diabetic or not is guaranteed immortality.. or life. just going to try to be my real authentic self and not live in fear doubt and worry … that is a death sentence xxx

Linskic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for taking the time to respond all the advice and encouragement… its not so bad afterall it could definitely be worse and there are ppl going through more than I am …need to bear that in mind and keep my rose tinted glasses and optimism in check… but also remember I’m going to have bad and good days just like all of us have and will. I think I’m maybe at accepting stage it’s only been a few days but I really don’t have time to dwell and just crack on with everything I have to accomplish and enjoy my life and celebrate it … I’m extreme as they come all or nothing thinking… need to find my middle xxx I have been out and treated myself to flowers and enjoying the sun with my precious family. I need to remember my blessings instead of disaster thinking. All I could picture was lutenant Dan … life is like a box of chocolates … just not to many lol. Xx got to laugh or I will cry. Xx