9 (and a half) weeks later.....

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Have been lurking in the background and absorbing many things from many resources since my T2 diagnosis back in early January of this year.

Originally in August last year it all started with a badly upset stomach (for many months) and was told my blood sugars were “slightly high” (turns out they were 51 on the first HbA1c), and then on re-test in late December, that figure had increased to 58 in the next A1c. Officially informed I was a T2 diabetic in early January.

The original problem (gastrically speaking) was quashed in the end by use of a change in diet to satisfy the desire to mange my T2 via diet control, my weight started at 13st12lbs and as of today, am 11st10lbs. The gastric issue was diagnosed as Giardia, which it turns out is a parasite that is also a huge sugar consumer (aren’t they all of course!).

Has anyone else ever experienced a T2 diagnosis on the back of such a parasite? I ask only out of curiosity at this stage, as would like to see if anyone else has been a victim of the same?. Since diagnosis, and killing the parasite late last year with antibiotics, I invested in an Accu-cheek Mobile and cassettes, and have conducted my own testing regime both pre and post prandial and at various times of the day also (see if pre-dawn effect apparent). My blood testing is always averaging now (and for at least the last 4-5 weeks) around 4.6 mmol/L, and within an average range +/- 0.9 mmol/L pre to post meals. I have admittedly adopted a low carb eating plan, and low sugars with an emphasis towards the Mediterranean style of eating but have more recently tried a few more “carby” items and sweet to see what happens by way of spikes.....and thus far, nothing - is this normal for T2’s who manage their condition purely via diet and some moderate exercise? I walk around 3/4/5 miles each day as a brisk walk, as I was prior to diagnosis by my own admission, somewhat - sedentary! And the diet was also not great.

Anyway, thanks for the time spent reading the above...curious to hear thoughts?

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Hi

If it's working then keep it up, the long term benefits are worth it. You should be proud of the positive outlook and approach you have to this.

Don't be afraid to try new foods and always spice it up!

Stay awesome

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No parasite, but these days - over two years from diagnosis, I can eat carbs with little effect on my BG levels - my body happily stashes it away as fat. Humm.