A Bit Disappointed

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask what your typical diet consists of? You may well be right that I need to reduce carbs still further, but I'm already avoiding all complex carbs and I really don't want to go neolithic:)
I absolutely don't offer my diet as a model for anyone else. I suppose it is a bit neolithic, interspersed with the latest high-tech junk, not because I think this is a good way to eat, but because it seems to be the least worst option for me at present. Basically, I care more about my bg than I do about healthy varied eating. It's a hard choice. If my bg is behaving really well I would like to eat one portion (50g weight) of a low carb vegetable at breakfast, 2 at lunch and one in the evening, but this rarely happens. Here is what I ate today:
Breakfast: a large cold free-range chicken leg, jelly from cooking the chicken (flavoured with rosemary) c 30g organic sauerkraut, Maille Dijon mustard, Hartley's 10 cal jelly pot (0.3g carbs) double cream
Snack at gym: 100g Gouda cheese,10g almonds, 10g brazil nuts
Lunch: half tin pink wild Alaskan salmon, 2 fried free range eggs, 100g cauliflower, Hartley's jelly and cream, feta cheese
Dinner: feta cheese, Hartley's jelly & cream.
Several cups of tea and coffee with cream over the day.
Today's menu was skewed by my getting back late from the gym and shopping and so not eating lunch til 4pm. Hence the untypically small dinner as I didn't want to eat much too close to bedtime. If I had managed to eat lunch by 2pm dinner might well have been more chicken and maybe half an avocado.
I am clearly consuming too much double cream, and too many Hartley's jellies. My excuse is that these are the only ingredients in my diet that I really really look forward to. If I sacrificed all or most of the cream I might be able to eat one more 50g portion of low carb vegetable, but I would risk ending up with my head in the gas oven!
In view of the fact that some of us can't eat more than 20g carbs daily without raising our bg, it seemed to me you might not in fact need some more complicated explanation for your A1c. Reducing carbs might get your A1c lower, but whether you think the price is worth paying is absolutely up to you.

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually @Dexterdobe - having just read @Resurgan's latest result I was reminded that
is the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything" as computed by the great computer Deep Thought, according to the gospel Hitchikers Guie to the Universe, so obviously both you and she have absolutely nothing at all to worry about, it being such an auspicious number! :D

Robbity

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I just got my results - the other surgery I was sent to uses a different lab and the results come back overnight - but my Hba1c is now - 42.
Altogether now - 'Always look on the bright side of life, de dum de dum de dum de dum'

Well done, lass.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I absolutely don't offer my diet as a model for anyone else. I suppose it is a bit neolithic, interspersed with the latest high-tech junk, not because I think this is a good way to eat, but because it seems to be the least worst option for me at present. Basically, I care more about my bg than I do about healthy varied eating. It's a hard choice. If my bg is behaving really well I would like to eat one portion (50g weight) of a low carb vegetable at breakfast, 2 at lunch and one in the evening, but this rarely happens. Here is what I ate today:
Breakfast: a large cold free-range chicken leg, jelly from cooking the chicken (flavoured with rosemary) c 30g organic sauerkraut, Maille Dijon mustard, Hartley's 10 cal jelly pot (0.3g carbs) double cream
Snack at gym: 100g Gouda cheese,10g almonds, 10g brazil nuts
Lunch: half tin pink wild Alaskan salmon, 2 fried free range eggs, 100g cauliflower, Hartley's jelly and cream, feta cheese
Dinner: feta cheese, Hartley's jelly & cream.
Several cups of tea and coffee with cream over the day.
Today's menu was skewed by my getting back late from the gym and shopping and so not eating lunch til 4pm. Hence the untypically small dinner as I didn't want to eat much too close to bedtime. If I had managed to eat lunch by 2pm dinner might well have been more chicken and maybe half an avocado.
I am clearly consuming too much double cream, and too many Hartley's jellies. My excuse is that these are the only ingredients in my diet that I really really look forward to. If I sacrificed all or most of the cream I might be able to eat one more 50g portion of low carb vegetable, but I would risk ending up with my head in the gas oven!
In view of the fact that some of us can't eat more than 20g carbs daily without raising our bg, it seemed to me you might not in fact need some more complicated explanation for your A1c. Reducing carbs might get your A1c lower, but whether you think the price is worth paying is absolutely up to you.
Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away. I too eat a lot of cream. My cholesterol is borderline healthy, so I think it's worth the risk. My bowl of berries, seeds and clotted cream is the highlight of my diatry day.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand