Type 2 A bit lost!

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been mostly low carbing for over a year and dropped 2 stone and reduced hba1c from 49 to 38 with no meds. Thrn weight loss stopped, I got kidney stones and my hair started falling out so I eased off the diet for a while. I've now been back on it for 4 weeks along with weekday 16:8 fasting and weight isn't budging! I hear all of these great stories about massive weight loss without cravings and it just isn't happening for me. Any advice would be appreciated

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi,
I stopped loosing as well just after christmas, so I went back to dieting basics, kept a food diary of everything I was eating and when, for we can get complacent and extra foods slip in, so it helps us be more focused and work out where were going wrong. I also went back to three meals a day only with the odd bit of fruit as a snack if needed. Then I ensured my evening meal was taken before 630 in the evening.

In my case after two weeks, it became clear that my portion sizes had crept back up with out really realising it. I'm back loosing again on low carb hf diet, still eating 3 meals aday and fruit in between. Give it ago, it worked for me.

Are you fasting ? It is possible to eat too little, then the body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to everything scared and worried when the next meal is coming. Fasting may work for some and some would say it can improve diabetes but its not good for weight loss.

Maybe give the food diary ago and try to work out where your going wrong, but be honest and record everything or it defeats the object.

Good luck
Maggie

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I stopped loosing as well just after christmas, so I went back to dieting basics, kept a food diary of everything I was eating and when, for we can get complacent and extra foods slip in, so it helps us be more focused and work out where were going wrong. I also went back to three meals a day only with the odd bit of fruit as a snack if needed. Then I ensured my evening meal was taken before 630 in the evening.

In my case after two weeks, it became clear that my portion sizes had crept back up with out really realising it. I'm back loosing again on low carb hf diet, still eating 3 meals aday and fruit in between. Give it ago, it worked for me.

Are you fasting ? It is possible to eat too little, then the body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to everything scared and worried when the next meal is coming. Fasting may work for some and some would say it can improve diabetes but its not good for weight loss.

Maybe give the food diary ago and try to work out where your going wrong, but be honest and record everything or it defeats the object.

Good luck
Maggie
Thanks for taking the time to reply Maggie! Good diary is a good idea and yes I am fasting and so maybe it isn't right for me and portion sizes are too big!! I have been so good for nearly a year and just can't be strict anymore when I've lost faith! But will try a different approach

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not go back to what worked for you before? Was the hair loss some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency? If so, you could put that right easily.

Low carb and higher fat seems to work well for most people both in reducing BS levels and weight. Give it another go, and eat at least 2 meals a day, keeping a strict eye on carbs and calories. It may mean going back to basics with weighing or measuring stuff, and keeping a detailed food diary, but it is worth the effort in the end.

I forgot to say. Do some exercise too. Walking is great.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the 'rules' of doing Atkins is not to fast. As he had many thousands of patients over the years, it could be something he saw as a problem. It seems so logical, to avoid eating, until there is a trial done showing that fasting is less effective in reducing body fat than eating low carb.