A BIT OF ADVICE PLEASE

charl0304

HI EVERYONE- iVE BEEN TYPE 1 FOR 14 YEARS NOW AND SPENT MOST OF MY TEENAGE YEARS IN DENIAL THAT I WAS DIFFERENT TO MY FRIENDS AND NOT TAKING MY INSULIN- SILLY I KNOW BUT TRUST ME IM PAYING FOR IT NOW WITH RETINOPATHY AND NEUROPATHY! IVE BEEN WITH MY HUSBAND TO BE FOR 8 YEARS AND WEVE DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO START TRYING FOR A BABY LAST YEAR- I KNOW ITS HARDER TO CONCEIVE WHEN YOUR DIABETIC AND I HAVE WORKED VERY HARD ON MY HBA1C TO GET IT INLINE WITH MY DSN 'S ADVISE AND USE AN INSULIN PUMP - IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE ANYONE COULD ADVISE TO TRY AND PREPARE FOR THE PREGNANCY? HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN IN MY POSITION THAT COULD OFFER ANY ADVISE- ALL IS GREATKY APPRECIATED :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
charl0304 said:
HI EVERYONE- iVE BEEN TYPE 1 FOR 14 YEARS NOW AND SPENT MOST OF MY TEENAGE YEARS IN DENIAL THAT I WAS DIFFERENT TO MY FRIENDS AND NOT TAKING MY INSULIN- SILLY I KNOW BUT TRUST ME IM PAYING FOR IT NOW WITH RETINOPATHY AND NEUROPATHY! IVE BEEN WITH MY HUSBAND TO BE FOR 8 YEARS AND WEVE DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO START TRYING FOR A BABY LAST YEAR- I KNOW ITS HARDER TO CONCEIVE WHEN YOUR DIABETIC AND I HAVE WORKED VERY HARD ON MY HBA1C TO GET IT INLINE WITH MY DSN 'S ADVISE AND USE AN INSULIN PUMP - IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE ANYONE COULD ADVISE TO TRY AND PREPARE FOR THE PREGNANCY? HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN IN MY POSITION THAT COULD OFFER ANY ADVISE- ALL IS GREATKY APPRECIATED :D

Hello that's lovely that you are trying for a baby. I had my daughter at the age of 42 in 2000, been type 1 for 24 years now. I found that keeping blood sugars at a good stable level, taking folic acid and getting lots of advice from your GP or DSN. Just let it happen. I found the more you fret or are worried about conceiving, will I , wont I, it may cause stress. If it happens ( and hopefully it will) it may take a while, but don't give up. I wish you lots and lots of luck and good wishes.

RRB :)

Worried123

There is a lot of discussion suggesting that diabetes does impact fertility but likewise there are many people who have no problems at all. I had some rather complex issues unrelated to my diabetes, I struggled with these for 5 years, finally and thankfully these were resolved last year and when I was given the go ahead to TTC, i conceived within 2 months - I am 38 years old, type 1 for 17 years. So please dont let statistics worry you. Agree good hb1ac before and throughout pregnancy is important (I unfortunately conceived on high hb1ac - so very worried at the moment). Also, daily exercise, walking helps as it improves insulin sensitivity, insulin pump, I am 16 weeks pregnant but not on the pump
Folic acid high dose 4 or 5 mg daily, and vitamins, like pregnacare max, should be started before you TTC, I found out at 4 weeks and have been taking them since. Healthy diet including fresh fruit and veg and keeping up to date with all your diabetic appointments for retinopathy and neuropathy - even women who dont have any retinopathy before pregnancy are advised to have eye screening every trimester as diabetes complications can develop or worsen during pregnancy. However if you have stable and good control before u conceive this is less of a concern
In terms of fertility - usually the NHS will prioritise you if you are diabetic and have been trying for 1 year or so
I took clomid, a tablet you take at home for a few days at the start of the menstrual cycle, this is the first line of treatment for healthy women trying to get pregnant who havent been successful. Hopefully you wont need this - wish you all the best - good luck :)

charl0304

thanks you both for your repiles - suppose its just a worrying time with diebetes being such a big part of your life - even the little things need plenty of planning :)

Sweetypie25

hiya,

similar to yourself i was denial for best part of 5 years and have found out i was pregnant at 7 weeks unaware and had been drinking and high sugars ;( if i knew i would have stopped a very long time ago and had better control.

since I have found out my sugar levels have improved greatly ;) i would advise you the best this before conception is to control sugar levels as when you are pregnant your sugar levels have to be less than 5.5 before meals and less than 7.8 after meals.

it is hard but if you can get better control before it will greatly help.

xxxx