A bit of support needed please!!

CUILLIN

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Work,
Hi there, it's been a while since I last posted anything although from time to time I've visited just to see how folk are doing.
I'm hoping that you might be able to give me some support as I seem to have lost my way with the low carb method.

I began this last June and was getting on great, I went really cold turkey, cutting almost every thing out and found that I lost weight, was able to reduce my insulin dramatically and was feeling good about myself. I did have a run in with GP and diabetic nurse at hospital clinic and later with the dietician, but I stuck to my guns and kept going. My hubby, who is not diabetic, saw how well I was doing and decided to also cut down on carbs and he now looks fab, lost much more weight than I did.

Here's where I need the support..... Since christmas I've been steadily eating more carbs and it seems my old bad habits have returned, I've also put back on some of the weight I had lost, and I'm beating myself up about it but, not enough to stop the eating.

At the present time I am off work with stress, caused by work, but I can also feel as I am slipping into a bit of depression, I'm trying to catch myself before it gets too far. I am constantly tired, but then I sleep very poorly and my workload is too stretched contributing to the stress and exahustion I feel. There are other problems at work, other staff mainly, which leaves me feeling anxious and dreading going into work. I've still to discuss this with Gp, gosh I'm rambling...I want to get back on to my eating regime, but don't know how to do it, can anyone give me any advice/tips to help me? I must begin to feel better in the hope that i will get stronger in order to cope with all the elements at work that is causing the problems for me at the moment.

I know everyone is different and what works for them is different, but I wondered if there is anyone in the same boat..
Hoping someone will reply
Kate :(

Pauperess

When things have gone wrong like this, draw a line under it, that was yesterday and what's done is done - don't beat yourself up about it.
Start again today, take it one day at a time, one meal at a time if needs be and give yourself a big pat on the back, no matter how small the achievement. You deserve it, and as that Geordie lass says, you're worth it.
Be proud and you will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Face forward and move on xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi Kate,

I thought I would have an 'ordinary' Christmas, not trying to avoid the things I shouldn't have. So I made myself some vegetarian pies with proper pastry and had lots of spuds and rice and rice pud with jam. Loverly!! I too thought I could just get back on the diabetic dieting bandwagon again. Unfortunately the weight is proving to be much more difficult to shift. BUT! The warm weather now means I can get back in the garden, lots of digging and planting and grass cutting. Also, right after I mow the front lawn in a short while, I will take a friend for a walk on Portreath beach. I understand how easy it is to let things get you down, but look out the window, if the sun is shining and there are things that need doing, get the old you back on track and do them. If you can make a start the weight will begin to go, probably slower than you remember, but it will go.

Right, lawns and walks are calling!! Let's went, as a good friend would say.
Lee.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time! I can definitely relate to what you are going through. I have been seriously low carbing since January, but in March I found it difficult for a couple of weeks and on one occassion ate a HUGE amount of chocolate and when I say huge I mean a box of roses followed by a tub of malteasers in about 2 - 3 days. Opps! (on the positive side I refused myself bread and pasta and all the other yummy carby things I miss).

For me to get back to the low-carb thing I found that I needed to cut out all sugar - including not eating the protein bars that I had been enjoying far too many of and fruit. After a few days of excluding these I found it a lot easier to stick to not eating carbs (probably partly because my sugars were not as erratic). Now I am doing really well on the low carbing and feel a lot more positive about it (and about myself) again.

I'm glad to see you are thinking about approaching your GP about the depression - catch it before it becomes a real pain and even more difficult to treat / recover from. I know it is hard to ask for help, but definitely worth doing it.

It's also great to see your husband is low carbing too - mine does and it certainly makes cooking and sticking to it a lot easier.

Good luck!

:D

CUILLIN

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Work,
Thank you patch 13. this was helpful in that it makes me feel that others struggle too. I think it will have to be cold turkey again. Kate

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
When I found out I had diabetes and had to change my life, I put work on hold. Work is important, but your health is more important. I moved my problem clients to a new manager and took some time off to get myself sorted out. A short break from daily stress to get your routine going again might help. If you have any holidays, then taking a week to spend cooking up great new recipies and getting back into a daily routine of working out and living healthily will probably really help you de-stress and get back onto the diet. Outside influences can be our worst enemy, but I found a week away from the crazy gave me the willpower and motivation to take control of my lifestyle.

Different things work for different people, but I'm a creature of routine. So when I need to change my routine, everything else has to go on the backburner while I get used to the new routine. Of course, going back to work after it sucks, but you're energised and ready to take on the world by then, so you can handle it :)

tizzy

Diabetes seems like permenant weight watchers to me along with the guilt trips when i slip up (fall over)

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
tizzy said:
Diabetes seems like permenant weight watchers to me along with the guilt trips when i slip up (fall over)

For me, I found it was a case of finding what I wanted to eat. I mean it is a big lifestyle change. I jumped into it because I don't want diabetes. I want to get rid of it if I can, so I'll do whatever is neccessary. Once I made that conscious choice, it seemed really easy from there. I think it gets easier once you get over the hurdle of realising that you need to make the changes and then just doing it.

There is a bit of counting carbs, but if you slip don't think of it as a fail, just keep going. One day won't kill you. It's more about breaking bad routines and habits. Every day is more important than one.

I guess it depends on the kind of diabetes you have and the kind of diet you are on, but for me the willpower came from the end game, which is not having diabetes anymore. That's what I'm aiming for. Whether it works or not is anyone's guess, but I aren't quitting until I've done everything humanly possible to ditch this thing. If anything gets in my way, I'll knock it out of my way and still keep going.

I need to see it that way to stay strong about it all. Sure I could cave and go buy a bag of Malteasers, but I won't. Some ****** food content with no nutrients is not going to ruin my life. I just see poison when I look at the chocolate section of a supermarket now. I totally blame mass production for loading everything we eat with carbs, and I'm angry about it. It keeps me from giving in. I firmly believe that this diabetes was caused by carbs that desensitised my body's reaction to my natural insulin. I was buying well-marketed poison and putting it in my body and this is the result.

I paid some awful company to do this to me. THAT makes me angry, and it makes me fight back. Even if fighting back is just saving myself :p

C

chris lowe

Hi Kate, As most of the posts say, this is just a glitch and you will get back on the straight and narrow. If you can't face cutting the carbs drastically then try reducing a bit week by week. That way your body may not crave them so much.

Stress at work can really knock you for six (don't ask!) and if it is a problem you need to talk to HR about it or if you are in a union talk to your union rep. The company have a duty of care under the Health and Safety at work act and they are obviously failing you. I don't know what sort of work you do, but there is bound to be a union for the work you do. If you've not got a workplace one, you can join online and pay by direct debit.

It's difficult but put the bad times behind you and start again. You did it once you can do it again. Good luck and we're all rooting for you. :D

CUILLIN

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Work,
Thank you all so much for your very helpful and supportive comments and advice, they are very much appreciated.
I am signed off work at the moment with work related stress, I work in Mental Health and before I came off work I felt as is I were joining my clients. I had chest pains, panic attacks, very little sleep, all symptoms of stress GP said. So I am using this time to not only rest and think about the future regarding my work but, also to get my eating back in to order. Having diabetes has contributed to my tiredness from being overworked, and also just getting older hasn't helped, with what my organisation expect me to do. So whilst I am off I'm slowly starting to sort things out. Thank you once again, kate :thumbup:

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
CUILLIN said:
Thank you patch 13. this was helpful in that it makes me feel that others struggle too. I think it will have to be cold turkey again. Kate

It is definitely a struggle some of the time, but easier once you get back to low carbing. However, temptation will always be present so I try and be strong most of the time, but if I slip up then I just have to accept I ate something I shouldn't and move on as best I can.

Have you managed the cold turkey?

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
hornplayer said:
- and can I just say "Claire87? You are fast becoming my hero!" :)

I've never been a hero before lol, but hopefully I'll have an epic story to tell when I get my 3 month results in a few days. 30lbs dropped so far, so that gung ho attitude seems to be working on the diet side :D.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Claire87 said:
30lbs dropped so far, so that gung ho attitude seems to be working on the diet side :D.

If you've done 30lb, you can do the rest. Last year I was struggling with osteoarthritis in my ankle and carrying a ludicrous amount of weight. I found it difficult to put my shoes and socks on or walk from the hotel to the car park. Everything seemed an effort. I just thought I was getting older and slowing down. This year I've lost 30 Kg and have been trecking up and down mountain footpaths. I never thought I'd be able to do that again. It's given me a whole new lease of life and ideas for the future. I had to buy a typical Austrian hat but Mrs Yorks drew the line at me buying lederhosen, though the very nice lady in the shop did say she would have some that would fit me :)

It is really worth the effort. Diet and exercise works and, if you watch the obvious sugary or starchy carbs, your BG levels will remain low. You feel better and feel more energised and want to start making plans. Stick with it girl!

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Yorksman said:
Claire87 said:
30lbs dropped so far, so that gung ho attitude seems to be working on the diet side :D.

If you've done 30lb, you can do the rest. Last year I was struggling with osteoarthritis in my ankle and carrying a ludicrous amount of weight. I found it difficult to put my shoes and socks on or walk from the hotel to the car park. Everything seemed an effort. I just thought I was getting older and slowing down. This year I've lost 30 Kg and have been trecking up and down mountain footpaths. I never thought I'd be able to do that again. It's given me a whole new lease of life and ideas for the future. I had to buy a typical Austrian hat but Mrs Yorks drew the line at me buying lederhosen, though the very nice lady in the shop did say she would have some that would fit me :)

It is really worth the effort. Diet and exercise works and, if you watch the obvious sugary or starchy carbs, your BG levels will remain low. You feel better and feel more energised and want to start making plans. Stick with it girl!

Thanks :D I'm so happy today. I just got back from the doctors with blood test results showing me as 'no longer diabetic'. I'm not allowed to call it remission for a year though. They want me to prove it'll stay at that level, but right now I'm loving the low carb diet :D. I reckon I'll hit my target weight in a month or so, but the big question is; what do you do to maintain your weight then? I guess I'll find out. Have you got to that stage where you're maintaining your weight in a low carb lifestyle? I'm not too upset if I have to 20g carb it a day for the rest of my life, but I've not idea what I'll do if I keep losing weight once I've hit my target.

lol I agree with Mrs Yorks on the Lederhosen! I lived in Germany for a year, and that's about all the lederhosen I can handle in this lifetime lol.

Summermum

Nice to see someone else struggling, makes me feel better. Have been low carbing for 2 years when I was diagnosed type 2, since Christmas I have been slipping and cheating more, exercising less. Went for check today, weight up 6kg, BP up and feet more numb. now thoroughly depressed. being sent back to GP for "review". Battled hard initially against the standard diet with the nurse and was smug when I lost 3 stone in 6 months and kept it off for a year. Makes me feel even worse today to go back to same nurse "failing". Fed up with diabetes and want it to go away! Just need to dust myself down and get back on track I guess.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's only natural to flag once in a while. Have you read up on diabetes burnout? I only heard of it on this site but it completely changed my attitude to slips on the road. What you should keep reminding yourself of is 3 stone in 6 months amd kept off for a year. YOU did that. YOU. No one did it for you. You applied yourself and committed yourself amd proved to yourself that you have it in you. Forget about the nurse - you are doing this for your health and well-being.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App