A bizarre occurance

1Kirstygrace

Ok. So I have been doing exceptionally well managing my BS and keeping them from spiking/dropping for weeks... (hurrah)

However, last night - I caved and obviously got a little confident and decided to have Amoy Wok Rice Noodles with Dinner (oh how I have missed pastas) - In minutes I felt very sleepy with "THE" headache. I did my BS and they were 9.2 1 hour after the meal, then to my surprise....where I normally get a hypo afterwards, they only dropped to 6.2 2hrs after the meal.(?!) I do not know where the BS reading went afterwards, as to be honest, I fell asleep as I was soo tired and needed to rest!! BUT - It was interesting - that no apparent Hypo within a few hours after such a huge spike. I think 9.2 is most my BS have ever gone to 1hr after a meal... (or the most Ive ever recorded as I don't test after every meal unless needs be)

BS were ok the morning after, I just had an interrupted sleep an awake at my usual 4/5am unearthly hour.

What do we think this means? (If anything!) Or am I looking into this far to much...!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t make any assumptions from those blood glucose readings, I am afraid. Those finger prick tests are just snapshots and you can easily miss the highs and lows.

I used to get sleepy like that sometimes and not worry about it at all.

Then I got myself a FreeStyle Libre which records blood glucose all the time and tracks it on a wee graph for you. I was horrified to discover that for me the sleepiness coincided with rapid drops in bg and on the occasions I was actually falling asleep my bg dipped to 2.8 and 1.6

Without the Libre I would never have had a clue about what was going on...

Now, I am not assuming the same thing happens to you. Of course not. I am just telling you this to show you that it may be unwise to make assumptions that your bg was fine in the gaps between tests. Better to verify it with testing, next time, so that you actually know.:)

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok. So I have been doing exceptionally well managing my BS and keeping them from spiking/dropping for weeks... (hurrah)

However, last night - I caved and obviously got a little confident and decided to have Amoy Wok Rice Noodles with Dinner (oh how I have missed pastas) - In minutes I felt very sleepy with "THE" headache. I did my BS and they were 9.2 1 hour after the meal, then to my surprise....where I normally get a hypo afterwards, they only dropped to 6.2 2hrs after the meal.(?!) I do not know where the BS reading went afterwards, as to be honest, I fell asleep as I was soo tired and needed to rest!! BUT - It was interesting - that no apparent Hypo within a few hours after such a huge spike. I think 9.2 is most my BS have ever gone to 1hr after a meal... (or the most Ive ever recorded as I don't test after every meal unless needs be)

BS were ok the morning after, I just had an interrupted sleep an awake at my usual 4/5am unearthly hour.

What do we think this means? (If anything!) Or am I looking into this far to much...!

Sorry, I missed this, just catching up!

Hi again and its pleasing that you have quite good control now, but that temptation is always there, just think about THAT headache and feeling awful and going to sleep and having that awful sleep.

Before I got diagnosed, and my levels were all over the place. Shocking symptoms and so on.
I always believed that sleep, especially a good night's rest was always good for me as I always woke up and even before diagnosis my blood levels were always in normal levels first thing before breakfast. So I would always feel better before eating, then go downhill rapidly through the day!
Restful sleep always seems to bring me back to where my body likes to be.
Since then, I do fasting in the morning or eat as much no carbs till later in the day.
If you haven't tried fasting, it is very good for control and it gives your hormones a rest, it rids the body of any excess insulin and glucose.

It may be by sleeping, you go to reset mode to help you cope with the excess glucose then the excess insulin. Who knows?

Best wishes.