A case of late night binge eating

Blue_Star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a type 1 diabetic and on occasions I have a bad habit of eating few biscuits in the middle of the night which increases fasting/morning sugar levels.Any ideas with tips or info on how to break this bad habit of late night eating? I'm desperate to stop this binge eating at night habit it ruins my day. Thanx

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I'm a type 1 diabetic and on occasions I have a bad habit of eating few biscuits in the middle of the night which increases fasting/morning sugar levels.Any ideas with tips or info on how to break this bad habit of late night eating? I'm desperate to stop this binge eating at night habit it ruins my day. Thanx

Hi. Are you up and about a that kind of time...or in bed and used to waking up with the munchies? I am seldom asleep before 4am mainly due to a pile of meds I am on for things other than diabetes, but have managed to stop nibbling on stuff that's high in carbs. Nothing beats being asleep of course. If you must munch..try low to no carb snacks such as smoked cheese slices, a few nuts...maybe dried bacon slices...check labels and look for stuff that is below 10g carb per 100g. Some dark chocolate (eg. lindt 90% cocoa) is less than 14g a bar..so a couple of squares would at least be an improvement on biscuits. I've heard recently that cheese helps keep the morning level down. That said, it's all best avoided as it's a bad pattern to get stuck in.

Reactions: barriebanana

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Don't buy them.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Oh dear, in my experience snacking at night is one of the most difficult habits to break. MRSROK's advice to try a non sugary snack is worth a try, as it sounds like this is a carb craving rather than real hunger. Perhaps you could gradually reduce the biscuits to a less carb heavy alternative? As this carb-hunger usually comes in waves, perhaps if after your snack you could distract yourself with a task for twenty minutes or so, the worst of the hunger feeling might pass.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Do you bolus for the midnight snack?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love midnight snacking, and I shouldn't do it, as I'm overweight. But I do bolus for it and it doesn't impact my bloodsugar. Unless I eat more than half a bag of dorito's. Which happens :(

Reactions: barriebanana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm desperate to stop this binge eating at night habit it ruins my day. Thanx

You say you only snack occasionally during the night, as your a type 1 I'm just wondering if your bg levels are dropping low and that is what's driving your desire to snack, do you do a bg test when the munchies comes on?

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Try baby Bell cheese and sparkling water and cross biscuits off your shopping list