1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A case of late night binge eating

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Blue_Star, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Blue_Star

Blue_Star Type 1 · Member

I'm a type 1 diabetic and on occasions I have a bad habit of eating few biscuits in the middle of the night which increases fasting/morning sugar levels.Any ideas with tips or info on how to break this bad habit of late night eating? I'm desperate to stop this binge eating at night habit it ruins my day. Thanx

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Are you up and about a that kind of time...or in bed and used to waking up with the munchies? I am seldom asleep before 4am mainly due to a pile of meds I am on for things other than diabetes, but have managed to stop nibbling on stuff that's high in carbs. Nothing beats being asleep of course. If you must munch..try low to no carb snacks such as smoked cheese slices, a few nuts...maybe dried bacon slices...check labels and look for stuff that is below 10g carb per 100g. Some dark chocolate (eg. lindt 90% cocoa) is less than 14g a bar..so a couple of squares would at least be an improvement on biscuits. I've heard recently that cheese helps keep the morning level down. That said, it's all best avoided as it's a bad pattern to get stuck in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MRSROK

MRSROK · Member

What time are you talking about? Try some protein like ham or cheese or a greek yogurt even....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. SockFiddler

SockFiddler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't buy them.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Metabolism_Boss

Metabolism_Boss Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh dear, in my experience snacking at night is one of the most difficult habits to break. MRSROK's advice to try a non sugary snack is worth a try, as it sounds like this is a carb craving rather than real hunger. Perhaps you could gradually reduce the biscuits to a less carb heavy alternative? As this carb-hunger usually comes in waves, perhaps if after your snack you could distract yourself with a task for twenty minutes or so, the worst of the hunger feeling might pass.

6. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do you bolus for the midnight snack?

7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I love midnight snacking, and I shouldn't do it, as I'm overweight. But I do bolus for it and it doesn't impact my bloodsugar. Unless I eat more than half a bag of dorito's. Which happens :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

You say you only snack occasionally during the night, as your a type 1 I'm just wondering if your bg levels are dropping low and that is what's driving your desire to snack, do you do a bg test when the munchies comes on?

9. barriebanana

barriebanana Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try baby Bell cheese and sparkling water and cross biscuits off your shopping list

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook