A chap with type 1 discusses the evidence for low carb

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t understand what you mean by fighting for your right! If you want to drop them, drop them.

Reactions: ert

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently low carb diet is not recommended to us as an option by HCPs. To me that is a disservice to type 1 patients. If you are not on this forum what’s the chance of learning about the low carb option and how to go about it.

Low carb diet can be very effective if it works. i think getting the benefits officially recognised and recommended by HCPs is very important.

A good video, I’m 100% with him :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don’t understand what you mean by fighting for your right! If you want to drop them, drop them.
I do drop them and its still not as good as this guy's so the video is an inspiration to be rigoruous about going 50g and under. IT would be great if consultants were supportive rather than raising eyebrows at the concept, getting triggered by the word keto and trying to get me onto stains !
There is plenty of guilt in many type 1s who are made to feel that if only they did their carbs maths a bit better etc. they'd achieve perfect control whereas in my experience this is near impossible because it is much less simple than carbs and dosing.

Reactions: ringi

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found out about low-carb for Type 1s soon after diagnosis in 2018 via Dr. Bernstein's (and others') videos on Youtube and it has been a great help to me since.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @becca59 ,

There seems to be a misconception from HCPs that insulin only works with carbs? Don't ask me why?
During my youth, this was pretty misguided info until MDI came along.. "Oh, your having a hypo here? Eat more carbs." "Prior to swimming, have a snack." (Seriously.! Eat before a swim?)

They offer the same (or similar advice for T2s on oral meds too?)
To be fair, there is only so much snacking one can do..

Also, for T1s achieving a lower A1c, the assumption from the average DSN is that there "must be too many hypos."
It can be unnerving to a well meaning health care pro which in most cases have no experience of living with the condition. On "paper" the drugs just work "like that."

From personal experience, that could be the reason why a low carbing T1 may feel dissuaded by HCPs.

Though I wouldn't advocate a low carb approach to a new DX till they are comfortable with what they are doing & things settle to a coprehensive trend?

I feel it's more appropriate to understand our indevidual differences to exersise our choice regarding managing one's diabetes.. :)

(Self edit of a nonsensical typo.)

Last edited:
Reactions: mentat

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi @becca59 ,

There seems to be a misconception from HCPs that insulin only works with carbs? Don't ask me why?
During my youth, this was pretty misguided info until MDI came along.. "Oh, your having a hypo here? Eat more carbs." "Prior to swimming, have a snack." (Seriously.! Eat before a swim?)

They offer the same (or similar advice for T2s on oral meds too?)
To be fair, there is only so much snacking one can do..

Also, for T1s achieving a lower A1c, the assumption from the average DSN is that there "must be too many hypos."
It can be unnerving to a well meaning health care pro which in most cases have no experience of living with the condition. On "paper" the drugs just work "like that."

From personal experience, that could be the reason why a low carbing T1 may feel dissuaded by HCPs.

Though I wouldn't advocate a low carb approach to a new DX till they are comfortable with what they are doing & things settle to a coprehensive trend?

I feel it's more appropriate to understand our indevidual differences to exersise our choice regarding managing one's diabetes.. :)

(Self edit of a nonsensical typo.)

Hi @Jaylee i agree there is a misconception with hcp with diet. 4 years ago when i was discharged from hossie besides the sliding scale (couldnt carb count) the only instructions were try not to go over 10 dont go under 4. No one said how.
On the low hba1c and hypoes well i think the best cure for the hcps is a cgm or fgm ends any debate about how many hypoes one has.

Looking back a little education about carbs and insulin doses may have helped even with the sliding scale....

I was vlc or keto in some eyes for 12 months with mdi lost control when one of my parents passed away dont show too many emotions but the cgm said i was out of control. Changed the admin of the insulin and back where i was with a few carbs with a lot of life things to handle.
Currently running diy insulin pump system. Been up since about the 20/08. Hba1c since starting atm is 6% below 9 85% 13% above 0% below 4 carb intake anything upto 150 carbs a day ave shouldbe about 100..... working on going back to vlc...

With newly diagnosed i would say cant push it, in my case really hard diet..... my opinion is its a choice that one has to make for themselves most here have chosen (one way or the other)but the ones choosing the low carb route should be allowed to get direction.

Reactions: SueJB