A considered decision

Romola

I am fairly newly diagnosed with T2. I am one of the lucky ones who has test strips prescribed, and an opportunity to attend an Xpert patient program. I have read the comments on these boards about low carbs etc, and have come to the following conclusion.

It is important for people with diabetes to eat a healthy diet per se. This involves some carbs at main meals - albeit restricted quantities. If I turn out to need medication to enable me to do this, then I am willing to accept it, for what I see as the greater benefit.

NHS nutrition advice seemed fine to me. There was no suggestion of large amounts of starchy carbs at meals - as I said, small amounts of complex carbs at each meal was the advice.

There has just been a TV program on healthy diets - and the Californian one, with very low carbs led to increased "bad" cholesterol and lowered "good" cholesterol. The classic Mediterranian diet had the opposite effect, and was pronounced as the healthiest one available.

I don't see why this doesn't apply equally well to people with diabetes. Yes, there is pasta - but it isn't necessary to eat a lot of it, and there is a lot more to mediterranian food than pasta.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Bye the way, for evening meal tonight we are having a classic mediterranian dish - with the wonderful name of The Imam Fainted. It is basically aubergine baked with veg stuffing, in tomato sauce.

Good Eating

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good luck with it Romola, I hope your choices work out for you.

I'd only have a couple of comments based on your post. Firstly, reading the first-hand experiences of the many diabetics on the forum who have significantly lowered their carbohydrate intake, I think they have all found improvements in their lipid panels as a result. Typically LDL changes little, but HDL increases and triglycerides often fall dramatically.

If I turn out to need medication to enable me to do this, then I am willing to accept it, for what I see as the greater benefit.

My definition of a truly healthy diet would be one which minimises or removes the need for medication associated with it. If anyone has to become medicated in order to eat a 'healthy diet' then it fails that test. I'm not sure what the greater benefit would be in that case.

Best of luck all the same,

fergus