Type 2 A couple of questions

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I have searched the forum for some advice but to no avail, so thought I would ask the questions.
My normal after dinner readings are between 8 and 8.5. Not bad considering I was up to 28 eight weeks ago. However, I have noticed that my morning readings (taken 2 hours after breakfast) are between 11 and 12. I take Metformin 500mg (once during breakfast and once during dinner). I don't eat between dinner and breakfast. Normally I finish eating at around 9pm. I normally have breakfast between 7.30am and 8.30am. I am on 50g or less carbohydrates a day and never normally go over 10g for breakfast. I wonder if anyone could suggest why this happens. I know about the 'dawn phenomenon' but these high readings are after breakfast, so around 10:30ish.

Another question is regarding PDR. Has anyone else had the laser treatment and felt ill afterwards? I seem to have cold and flu like symptoms.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like your insulin resistance is worst in the mornings - like mine is. It is known that IR does improve as the day progresses. It took me 12 months to realise I cannot eat ANY carbs for breakfast. I blamed highish morning readings on dawn phenomenon kicking in late. Then I stopped all carbs for breakfast. I just have an egg. Bingo! I now have readings in the 5s all morning and am usually lower after breakfast than before. Why not give it a try? (and all I was eating for breakfast was full fat yogurt with 2 strawberries!).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience is almost identical to bluetit.
My bg was even rising with protein breakfasts, so I put my thinking cap on and tried to come up with a carb and protein free brekkie.
No easy.
And not for everyone.
But it works like a charm.
Now I usually have coffeencream for breakfast and don't eat til lunch.
My bg rises from waking, until that first sip of coffee (at whatever time), then it stabilizes and gently drifts downwards til lunch.

I used to love yog and berries for breakfast. :( but I am now happy with my morning readings.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! What do you usually have for breakfast?

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bluetit,
That's an interesting idea. One that I would definitely consider.
Brunnera, now that would be a challenge. I am not normally too hungry in the morning but need to eat then as I take my Metformin then. I tried not eating with it and let me just say, I do not want to repeat that!
Totto, this morning I ate egg and bacon with a cup of coffee, which made me question my reading. On an average day I have a coffee, some cheese, 25g of raspberries and a 2 egg scramble.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You seem to be doing all the right things. If despite low-carbing the blood sugar continues to be high then it may be worth considering the possibility of being Late onset T1 (LADA). This is low on the list of probabilities unless the right diet and everything else fails. The GP can do tests for that if needed and if positive, change your medication. Being slim is one pointer as well.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you other meds like steroids or statins?

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabell, I will definitely ponder this.

Totto, I take Ramipril 5mg once a day. Apart from the Metformin SR, I take nothing else.

This morning I had a coffee for breakfast and tested 2 hours later. I was 11.6! I am going to take my Metformin SR with my dinner only for this week, to see if that helps with the morning readings.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe ditch breakfast completely and see if that has a beneficial effect?

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning I had a cup of coffee.
2 hours later, I have a reading of 13.1! Something is definitely off. I had 34g of carbs in total yesterday and a reading of 10.6, 2 hours after dinner. I think a visit to the doctors is in order. Something is definitely not working.
Before my laser eye treatment, my levels were fine and I finally felt 100%, which was great. Just over 1 week later, I'm dizzy, my levels are messed up, despite being confirmed as having early menopause for the past 3 years, menstruation has returned. I am not a happy bunny.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Infection, like UTI for example? Infections can mess up BG big time.
If your BG doesn't return to normal soon I think you should contact your GP.