A&E or Walk in Centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Yeah I want to try and get a second opinion because I can't live like this! and yeah I was thinking that ha! :( all the drunks would be there :/
Thank you!

D

Deleted member 83869

That is an idea but the GP that I saw twice there was the one standing in for my GP whilst she is away :(

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It really is important to get sciatica diagnosed by scan or x-ray. So it seems A & E would be best and soon.

Please make protest until someone gets proper examination done. I was kept in for 2 weeks after I went in dreadful pain. But they x-rayed me quickly.

Jane.

Reactions: 2 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hello,

I have done a few posts about my supposed sciatica and no improvement really, my doctors dont really want to seem to know and just palm me off with pain killers which arent really doing anything. The pain is unbearable now, I cannot even cough without wincing in pain and walking with a limp. The pain does get a little bit better sometimes but not completely. So I was wondering do I go to A&E to see what they can do or to the Walk in Centre? I do not know whether to go because I dont want them to think that it is not an Emergency etc.

HELP
It's better not to go to A&E. This is not their function and if registered with a GP you should only use a walk in centre if you usual health centre is closed. What I would do is go to my usual GP and insist they check properly. Then if they still say it's Sciatica, there's not much other than gentle exercise and pain killers.
Hana

D

Deleted member 83869

Im going to try and make another appointment with my GP i guess. Would rather avoid my hospital anyway they dont have a very good reputation anyway :( ha!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IF it's sciatica. Sciatica generally just means that something is putting pressure on sciatic nerve. But only x-ray/scan can tell for sure what's going on. It really is vital.

Gentle exercise & pain killers may help sciatica and then there are other harsher treatments if this doesn't make it bearable.

But damage can continue and make permanent changes.

Please get diagnosed and go to Emergency or get GP to refer to hospital quickly.

Sorry to be so persistent, but I know it's important.

Jane.

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I went to A&E for sciatic pain, which I later found out was due to a slipped disc. A&E just patched me up with diazepam & Oramorph & sent me home. I would go back to your GP & tell them you want to be referred for an MRI scan.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nigel Fenton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before seeing a chiropractor I would see a masseur but a specific type. I would look for a "trigger point" masseur. Have a Goggle for trigger point massage. The chiro probably will elevate the pain but not for long.

Regards
Nigel

collectingrocks

This is getting ridiculus. Sciatica in a teenager needs to be taken seriously. Nicola Anne, who told you in the first case you had sciatica? You need to be referred to either Orthopaedics or your local Pain Clinic. If your GP does not take this seriously, you have the right to seek a second opinion and if this doesn't work, write a formal complaint to the Practice Manager of your surgery. Otherwise you will have to take this up with PALs or the GMC.

I don't know where you live but this smacks of postcode lottery.

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello! Finally got somewhere with my GP saw the one I wanted to see and she is sending me for an xray tomorrow and I have been referred for physiotherapy and put on Co-codamol with the naproxen I was taking. So shall see if that works! She wasn't happy with the other GP that I saw and the Practice manager was with her yesterday anyway. So hopefully I am getting somewhere!!

Thank you though guys!! :)

Reactions: 5 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done for persisting. Glad this GP saw necessity for x-ray and hope it goes smoothly for you now.
Would like to know the results if you feel like sharing.

Best wishes,
Jane

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
At least you have a diagnosis now. Hopefully they'll be able to help you manage it now.

Good luck for the future :)

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)