SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Hi Indy51
That throws a question mark over many a prediabetic result then really. The only way of truly knowing is to test before and after meals. I may print that out and take it to my doctor!! Thanks :)

Edit: I need to eat a few things like bread, pasta etc and then check my BG to see what happens. Since diagnosis I have been roughly following guidelines on the forum.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are great readings too! What happens when you introduce carbs? And what are the raised morning readings that caused the diagnosis?

I had raised morning readings of 6.1, 6.5, 6.2 etc for years before I got one at diabetic levels. Now I know that it was the time of morning of the test makes a huge difference - in my case. We are all soooooo different!

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
The prediabetic diagnosis was caused by the 3 month test results. I don't even know what the result was, my doctor just told me I was high end of normal/borderline. I don't test before or after brunch but I do need to start doing that. When I had potatoes in a roast dinner my two hour post meal BG was 6.3. It had been 4.8 before I ate. I have just ordered more strips so that I can start testing the snacks I have during the day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c (see sig) is right on the borderline of diabetes diagnosis. But it is only this because I low carb. It would be hugely higher if I ate 'normally'.

I'm guessing that your score must have bee in the early 6s or mid 40s in new money ;). Don't know if that helps?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I could have sworn he said 114 or 118 but I haven't a clue what he meant. I was a little shocked and didn't take that bit in very well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at this.
http://www.bloodsugar101.com
The page on normal BG give the American measurements too. Where are you based? Could he have given you those?

An hba1c of over 100 is WAY over normal...

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Have a look at this.
http://www.bloodsugar101.com
The page on normal BG give the American measurements too. Where are you based? Could he have given you those?

An hba1c of over 100 is WAY over normal...

Have looked but still no wiser LOL. I just remember him clearly saying I was the high end of normal and then saying borderline. :(

I just find it all a bit strange that I have been so poorly and this gets dropped on me right in the middle of it.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I had one piece of Burgen toast with butter and soft cheese. Pre BG 4.9, two hours later 5.8. Does that seem normal??

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's fine. You asked about waking up and blood levels. Good sleep enables the body to restore normal blood levels. It's what you eat and how often ascertain your levels during your waking hours. You have a lot of experimenting to do.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
That's fine. You asked about waking up and blood levels. Good sleep enables the body to restore normal blood levels. It's what you eat and how often ascertain your levels during your waking hours. You have a lot of experimenting to do.
Hi
You're right and it has been slowed down by illness and not having a great appetite...all in good time :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's a rollercoaster ride,that's for certain. Had my appointment through to be imprisoned in hospital for up to three days come through today. Go in Tuesday. My blood sugars are up and down like a professional ladies.................., trying to normalize not to hyper or hypo. I do wish that soon I don't have to eat as much and as often. It's doing me head in. Treated myself to a fry up this morning and guess what? No rise in bloods later. Had a banana as a mid morning snack, up to nineish. Just had an apple cos I am still full. Couldn't face anything else.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
It's a rollercoaster ride,that's for certain. Had my appointment through to be imprisoned in hospital for up to three days come through today. Go in Tuesday. My blood sugars are up and down like a professional ladies.................., trying to normalize not to hyper or hypo. I do wish that soon I don't have to eat as much and as often. It's doing me head in. Treated myself to a fry up this morning and guess what? No rise in bloods later. Had a banana as a mid morning snack, up to nineish. Just had an apple cos I am still full. Couldn't face anything else.

Can't imagine having to go into hospital right now. My meter is my buddy and I would wonder what on earth I would eat in there!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hopefully I won't have to. I am very careful like most diabetics what I put down my throat so I've got the family trained in what to bring me in.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Hopefully I won't have to. I am very careful like most diabetics what I put down my throat so I've got the family trained in what to bring me in.
LOL. Imagine the hospital food though! Everything cooked to death so no nutrients. Mash or chips with everything. I do wonder how seriously they take the diabetic diet in hospitals as I have never experienced it. I bet you get the tea trolley person coming round saying 'how many sugars love'!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You do have to laugh though. My imagination is running wild. Having had the glucose test the ward sister forced a bottle of lucosade on me whilst having a hypo. I had to stay on the ward an extra three hours. She was warned that I would have a high blood sugar level if I drink it. I asked for digestive biscuits and got rich tea. The cuppa I asked for was wrong. How can you get black strong, no milk, no sugar wrong?
Ha!

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
You do have to laugh though. My imagination is running wild. Having had the glucose test the ward sister forced a bottle of lucosade on me whilst having a hypo. I had to stay on the ward an extra three hours. She was warned that I would have a high blood sugar level if I drink it. I asked for digestive biscuits and got rich tea. The cuppa I asked for was wrong. How can you get black strong, no milk, no sugar wrong?
Ha!

You actually got a drink! In my day.....LOL :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha!
Good luck @nosher!
I would be a nervous wreck - which would be messing up my BG even more!

Hope it goes well and they get to the bottom of what's causing your hypos.

(And glad about the fry up helping!)