A great start to summer lol

Taraji_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I'm 18 and was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This July actually, a month after my final year of secondary school and leaving cert. I wasn't really surprised with this because my mom is a type 2 diabetic so is my grandmother and other members on her side. It basically runs in her family and there has been times where my mom would just check my blood sugar and it would be abnormally high. Also my diet isn't great, especially during exam season, where I stress ate alooottt.

It all started when I was at work I suddenly felt light-headed and my hands and legs decided to go numb. I was confused a lot as well. I let it slide for a couple days but when it didn't go away I brought it up to my mom, who checked my blood sugar using her meter. It read 20.6!! I was brought to my GP the next day who immediately sent me to A&E after telling me he's 99.9% sure I'm diabetic lol. On that same day, I was admitted into the hospital, took about 1826533029 blood test and different faces were coming in and out of my hospital room telling me different things.

Anyways, there's a little back story. It's been difficult living as a teenager with diabetes. Going with my friends, I constantly have my medication and insulin on my mind. Going out to eat or drink with friend is always difficult because they always wanna go to fast food restaurants and I constantly have to be aware of what I'm eating.:( but I'm thankful because having another diabetic in the house ( my mom ) makes things a little bit easier.

At the moment I'm planning on moving to England for University and I'm just worried about my health. I'm still getting used to the new lifestyle as a young diabetic.

Reactions: Prem51

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Taraji_T,

So sorry to read about your diagnosis. Have a big hug.

Also, welcome to the forum. Have a read around and fire away if you have any questions.

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

I've only recently been diagnosed myself so I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice. However what I can tell you is that you've come to the right place. There are some fantastic people on this forum who have learned to live with, manage and in some cases reverse their diabetes. They will be along shortly with some useful links to get you started but it might help if you could tell us what medication you're on and whether you're following any particular diet advice.

Taraji_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome.

I've only recently been diagnosed myself so I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice. However what I can tell you is that you've come to the right place. There are some fantastic people on this forum who have learned to live with, manage and in some cases reverse their diabetes. They will be along shortly with some useful links to get you started but it might help if you could tell us what medication you're on and whether you're following any particular diet advice.
Thankyou! I'm on 1g of Metformin twice a day and Lantus 10

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Did the GP or hospital do any tests for T1/LADA? The tests would be GAD and C-Peptide. Being T2 at age 18 is unusual and mis-diagnosis is common. It's good that you are on insulin to help control the diabetes. Having a clearer diagnosis might help get the medication being optimised for the future.

Reactions: Taraji_T and Prem51

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Taraji_T - while it amazes me sometimes (LOL), I can still remember what it was like to be your age and completely understand why it’s hard to be the odd person out. But look at it this way, if one of your friends had a food allergy, you would be understanding, right? T2 is kind of like that - some things you can eat at all, others you need to eat in moderation. You’ll figure all of that out.

One tip is to focus on your friends, the fun, the conversation. That’s what it’s really all about. The food is just food, it’s one thing that keeps us alive :), but it isn’t life itself, ‘ya know?

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I agree with a previous poster that you do seem very young to be a type 2 and it may be worthwhile getting some tests to explore other possibilities. I sympathise with the difficulties that you are facing- it must seem really tough. Have a read around on the forum - there's lots of information and keep posting either to share what's happening, to vent to to ask questions. The people here are awesome, knowledgable and very willing to listen or provide assistance- you are in the right place. Most of all we can sympathise and empathise with the struggles you are facing.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry that you are having a hard time at the moment. However on the plus side you are very lucky to have a Mum who is very knowledgeable about diabetes. Learn as much as you can from her and also from the great people on here. The more you learn from them, the less you will worry when you come to the UK.

At your time of life, try not to let this thing take you over. Make sure the eat the right things and take your Meds if you need to. True friends will understand and just enjoy these years with them.

Good luck on your journey.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Taraji_T. It's a shock when you first get that diagnosis even if you were sort of expecting it because of family history - my mother was Type 2 also.
Did the 1826533029 :))) tests in hospital rule out Type 1 diabetes? If you don't know see if you can find out.
If you are moving to UK University there should be a health care professional available at the Uni, and you will need to register with a doctor near where you live.

Taraji_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. Did the GP or hospital do any tests for T1/LADA? The tests would be GAD and C-Peptide. Being T2 at age 18 is unusual and mis-diagnosis is common. It's good that you are on insulin to help control the diabetes. Having a clearer diagnosis might help get the medication being optimised for the future.
Yeah they did say it was unusual that I'm type 2 because of my age but they also said its possible because of my family history, everyone that has it on my moms side is type 2 including her mother and father.

Taraji_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Taraji_T. It's a shock when you first get that diagnosis even if you were sort of expecting it because of family history - my mother was Type 2 also.
Did the 1826533029 :))) tests in hospital rule out Type 1 diabetes? If you don't know see if you can find out.
If you are moving to UK University there should be a health care professional available at the Uni, and you will need to register with a doctor near where you live.
Hmm im not sure, I should find out and thank you!!