A little advice about Hba1c

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I previously lived in England and was diagnosed at age 6 with type 1 diabetes ! From the age of 7 to age of 11 every 3 months I went for my hospital check ups and hba1c's they would always roughly be 7.1 or 7.8 ! Doctors thought this was really great and I was so happy knowing I was doing a great job! Myself and my parents felt successful in managing my diabetes! When I moved to Ireland by the age of 12 and registered in my new hospital my doctor seemed suspicious that my blood sugars in my daily diary didn't match up to my very good hba1c ! They done some tests and found out the sugars in my body were not accurately sticking to my blood giving me false hba1c's every 3 months! I felt gutted and so did my parents! I now get a blood test done that is more specific and thankfully now gives me true results! I was shocked that the doctors in England did not pick up on these signs! If anyone is suspicious or finds it strange that hba1c's are coming back good but know there blood sugars haven't been that great then please speak to your diabetic nurses or doctors! Just thought I'd let people know about this experience incase anyone else has the same!

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect that most of us get a standard HB1AC yearly & little notice is taken of other BG testing. It stands to reason that unless we highlight any suspicions that it isn't correct, our doctors & diabetic nurses will give us a at on the back & tell us to carry on... and I say this as someone who's GP & DN are very good.

I think you've been lucky to land up with a very clued up & interested team which has led to your breakthrough. It does, however, reinforce what a lot of posters on this forum say about learning as much as you can about this condition and becoming your own expert.

Good news, though, as you should be on the right track now & it's onward & upward.

Reactions: 2 people

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I suspect that most of us get a standard HB1AC yearly & little notice is taken of other BG testing. It stands to reason that unless we highlight any suspicions that it isn't correct, our doctors & diabetic nurses will give us a at on the back & tell us to carry on... and I say this as someone who's GP & DN are very good.

I think you've been lucky to land up with a very clued up & interested team which has led to your breakthrough. It does, however, reinforce what a lot of posters on this forum say about learning as much as you can about this condition and becoming your own expert.

Good news, though, as you should be on the right track now & it's onward & upward.
It was very disheartening to find out that all the hba1c's were false! Just wanted to let people know incase they feel as though this could be the case for them! If they hadn't been so thorough my blood sugars could be all over the place and I would have never known! Luckily they know now and I can keep track a lot better!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Finding test strips in my shoes!
Really interesting... thanks for sharing! Had never crossed my mind that this could be an issue.

Reactions: 2 people