A little Help with some problems and symptoms please

kelB

First off hello, Im kel.

I have history of diabetes within my family, but never experiences any real issues myself untill recent weeks. I have has lots of problems, frequent toilet trips, an immense thirst that I can't seem to quench, dizzyness, and even almost passing out at one point. I have noticed tiredenss but all of a sudden tiredness.. very drained. Also blured vision the once which freaked me out a little.

Basically all this has come about over about 3 weeks, i do get run down quick but then im a mum to 3 children and work part time so I have kind of put most my issues to that.

I took a blood sugar test with a home kit last night as i felt pretty awful and drained. It read 9.9 which I thought was considered quite high. I hadnt eaten for at least 2 hours previous. I took a test again today, a few hours or more after food, and again feeling drained and it read 4.7.

Basically what I would like to know or ask is some advice, I do have an appointment tomorrow with the doctor but what is it likly to be, and what tests will they do with me?

Thought i may point out i eat a good diet within reason, not overly on sugar things just average, and eat good portions.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I think I would be inclined to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

None of the tests if they think you may be Diabetic are anything to worry about. You may get some indication there and then or you may have to wait for results. The usual test is blood sample taken, possibly urine etc. Have they told you to fast before going or not ?

One other thing you said:
Thought i may point out i eat a good diet within reason, not overly on sugar things just average, and eat good portions.
Just what is a Good Diet ?
What do you mean by Average Sugar ?
What do you mean by Good Portions ?
The answers may just have some relevance !!

Ken

kelB

My partner made the appointment for me and explained the situation and they just booked me in. No mentiong of fasting prior to appointment.

Just what is a Good Diet ? a balanced amount of fruit and veg. In general I dont eat Junk food. Im not a food freak and watch everything I eat but i have a good mix of foods pasta, meats, fruit, veg and so on. Not a pizza and chips kind of person more the home cooked dishes :)

What do mean by Average Sugar ? I dont eat like 20 bars of chocolate a day, add sugar to coffee and teas and drink lots of fizzy drinks.

What do you mean by Good Portions ? I don't over eat and I dont under eat. I wouldnt pig out till im bloated and i definatly dont starve myself.

Hope that helps with your questions.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If I tell you I am a T2 for 11 years and for most of that time was eating what the NHS calls a 'Healthy Diet'. I went up to nearly 20 stone, ended up with a major Heart Op and then continued with my so called healthy diet. It nearly killed me.

Since finding this forum and taking advice from the people here I have turned my life around. I feel fitter and healthier by the day.
How did you do that, you ask : I drastically changed my Diet.
I use a combo of lo-carb/low fat/low GI/low salt. In 2 months I have lost 1 and half stone and still losing. The food is so varied and tasty. I never feel as if I need to eat much at all.
That is why questions about Diet are important. Generalisations are not enough. To help in any way you need to be more specific. If you are not comfortable about posting 'on air' PM with a question. No one is judging you - we just want to help you. Information is everything.

Ken

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
High sugars (above 8mmol/l) are usually indicative of diabetes. It's good that you are going to see the doctor right away; hopefully they can see what the problem is and help!

A good diet is a balanced diet, one that doesn't include too much refined sugar and has at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables daily. Check to see the nutritional information on the foods you eat too, as some are less healthy than you think. For example, bran flakes have 22g per 100g of sugar...i.e. about 1/5 of bran flakes is sugar!

Sometimes diabetes just happens, whatever your diet or lifestyle is like. Before I was diagnosed I was at school and played sports all the time and was naturally fit and healthy. It seems like you are doing the right things, and I hope that the doctor can help.

kelB

I appreciate any advice given, and I hope i didnt come across int he wrong way in my responce to my diet. I understand that a good diet is great in any situation and poor diet and nutrition habbits can lead to all sorts of problems with health. Fair play for your way of dealing and successfull way at that.

Im just a tad concerned at the mo, a little up tight too.. i mean Im only 29, previously active and very alert, running around with my 3 beautiful kids, and to feel tired and the sypmtoms I have been Im generally scared and useless to everyone.

I hope the doctors can sort me out tomorrow, i dont understand all this if im honnest and i hope a simple test will tell me im worried about nothing... I shall update once I know, but i just want to say thanks for your replies and in general this site is amazing and very imformative :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi kelB.

No I wasn't a schoolmaster !! I just needed to get over to you that information is what's needed. If you are stressed out as it sounds, that can have all sorts of effects. I got the 'T' shirt !! Keep us posted how you get on.
As my Son is fond of saying, " Take a chill pill Dad. " He is 29 by the way.

Keep smiling :D
Ken

kelB

I went to see the doctor today, was really helpful having student doctors in at the time as they were extra attentive to what possible causes to symptoms were.

They did my blood pressure which was fine, then the blood sugar test was 4.1 I am fasting as of 9pm tonight with just water (early night to avoid coffee and tea)lol

Tomorrow I am having full bloods, there are some codes on the blood sample sheet which I dont understand but im sure they have some relevence.

The general feel was that of onset diabetes, but other possible ones were anemia, thyroid and so on. The water sample came clear of whatever they thought may be in there so thats a good sign.

After tomorrows tests he wants to see me with the findings and to discuss what it was, and what action is to be taken.

So its just a waiting game now I guess.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
When you get all your results ask for a copy of them.
You can then ask any questions you like about the readings here and someone will explain.
Sometimes the HCP's tend not to want to go through what they mean. If they are reticent to give you a copy, just tell them it's for your own records - so you are aware of what is improving or not.

:D