A mad Sunday on the Pricks and Strips.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
10.8 @ 10am ...... 4.3 @ 1pm waaahhh.

Has anybody else had this 6 point swing over 3 hours?

Take care everybody - E

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Take care everybody - E
I think everyone on insulin has those swings.
Are you on insulin?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nope. Metformin. But I’ve never had this 3 hour swing, never. Should I be worried ?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have on a few occasions and I'm not on insulin either. Makes you feel giddy well it does me .

In fact I've gone from double figures to high 3's in two hours.
And once down to 2.2

I don't think its any thing to worry about long term when I've been hypo due to it I just treat the hypo and forget it

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Makes you feel giddy well it does me .
Oh, Righto. Thanks for the reassurance. Do non-diabetics have this type of swing? Does this mean my Pancreas and body are coming right?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm afraid I can't answer those questions but it would be a fair guess that when it happens you are having either a surge in your production of insulin or your insulin resistance may have dropped for some reason but as I said that is just a guess.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Did you check the 10.8 or the 4.3 readings by doing a retest?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you check the 10.8 or the 4.3 readings by doing a retest?
Yes, both, first thing I did, and on alternate hands too . These two extreme figures were within <1 of the retests, so I took them as being “correct”. And yes, always clean fingers/hands. It was just this extremis swing that I’ve not been aware of before, over just three hours.

Since September 2019 I’ve executed some 900 tests and recognise the need for retesting, if not just for veracity, but my own sanity. But thanks for asking .

JohnEGreen’s reply was/is reassuring with some sense of experience coming into play.

Danmiluk

Take care everybody - E
Yep all the time. If I have a high 10 reading say at 10am. If I sit about and do nothing I'll get the same at 2pm.
If I'm out to work or doing something that is energetic then it is usually a lot lower mid 5.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possible answers may lay 8n what you ate to get the 10 and what you did activity wise in those 3 hrs

on the odd occasion I’ve eaten something I really know better than to eat, ie something that sends me high. I have tested expecting an awful figure and it’s actually been lower than normal. I figured as I’m usually very low carb my body was “shocked” and overdid the insulin response taking me lower and I simply missed the high. Kind of like a one off reactive hypoglycaemia response.

also a decent walk or some heavy lifting will drop numbers quite quickly for many.