A Month in

stu60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and good morning everyone, this is my first post would have posted earlier but too busy gleaning all the useful information from around here. Well it's been a month since I was declared diabetic and apart from the discomfort increasing in my feet over the last few days. I seem to be bringing my BG levels down using the LCHF diet. They have steadily gone down from around 12 in the mornings to 6.3 and from high teens low twenties after eating to 4.6 pre and 6.1 post, they have been there ± .1. for the last three days, touch wood, things will continue to improve. I don't seem to have lost any weight yet but then I haven't been out for walks as much as I would have liked due to pain in my ankles, knees, and hips don't know if this down to the neuropathy or something else. I also, as my father used to say, been dog hungry, so probably snacked on a few too many pork scratchings. Not really missing the high carb stuff other than crackers, I am quite partial to a couple crackers with a bit of blue cheese and a glass of red wine, I did have a go at making some keto ones, but they did not do a lot for me, so ordered some Atkins ones from Amazon to try. Well that's my cherry lost!

Reactions: Redshank

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and good morning everyone, this is my first post would have posted earlier but too busy gleaning all the useful information from around here. Well it's been a month since I was declared diabetic and apart from the discomfort increasing in my feet over the last few days. I seem to be bringing my BG levels down using the LCHF diet. They have steadily gone down from around 12 in the mornings to 6.3 and from high teens low twenties after eating to 4.6 pre and 6.1 post, they have been there ± .1. for the last three days, touch wood, things will continue to improve. I don't seem to have lost any weight yet but then I haven't been out for walks as much as I would have liked due to pain in my ankles, knees, and hips don't know if this down to the neuropathy or something else. I also, as my father used to say, been dog hungry, so probably snacked on a few too many pork scratchings. Not really missing the high carb stuff other than crackers, I am quite partial to a couple crackers with a bit of blue cheese and a glass of red wine, I did have a go at making some keto ones, but they did not do a lot for me, so ordered some Atkins ones from Amazon to try. Well that's my cherry lost!

Hi and welcome!
You are getting those numbers down nicely.
looks like are getting the hang of things nicely :D

Reactions: ziggy_w

stu60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was just flax seed with egg to make the dough from memory but that in your link looks tasty will have to get the ingredients together and have a go, thanks for that.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst reducing carbs have you increased protein and fats especially to compensate?

You still need fuel and to feel full. If you take the one that is causing you blood issues away (carbs) then you need to increase something else. And probably not by huge amounts as they are both more satisfying than carbs.

The longer you stick to this the better your body gets at burning its own stores for energy too and the less hunger is an issue.

Reactions: Perminder1

stu60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have increased the amount of protein and fats in my diet but trying to keep the calories from not going OTT as I have not been so active the last few months.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have increased the amount of protein and fats in my diet but trying to keep the calories from not going OTT as I have not been so active the last few months.
Ignore the calories for now unless you really are going seriously OTT. (And what that means is debatable anyway)

They are not all equal, not for anyone but especially not in diabetes. 1000 cal of carbs will just become fat as we can’t use them properly So they get stored. 1000 cal of protein or fats and our bodies use them properly And we actually get the energy we’re supposed to get. I and many others lost weight and controlled bgl despite eating more calories, just that they became the right ones.

Most importantly to maintain low carb is to not be hungry, else you’ll give up on it like so many people do with low calorie diets.