A Month Into Low Carbing

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh! I'm so mad. I'd had a really good low carbing day. Fancied a snack to take the edge off my appetite before dinner and had a Hartley "sugar free" Jelly Pot.

Then as I was having something that I wanted to check on for dinner I did my blood before I ate and it was 10.5 :eek: Can you guess why? yes, I'd accidentally picked up a not sugar free jelly in my shopping. Grrrrrrrr!! I feel cheated. If I was going to have 24g of carb I wouldn't have wasted it on a crummy jelly.

Hope everyone's had a good day xxx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I start to feel a bit hungry before a meal, I just drink water. It takes the edge off. If its a couple of hours before a meal, then a cup of tea does the trick.

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Why not make your own sugar free jelly? No chance of mistakes then.............

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Oh c'mon. You only have to boil water...................

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I keep eating yoghurt for days and never look at the use-by date ...

Often the yogurt I'm eating is what I've made myself, so it comes without a sell-by date! But either way, the only time I wouldn't eat it, is if it's gone fizzy or SO sour I couldn't bear the taste! And I do like it on the sour side. In fact as I sat eating a pot of yoghurt last night, I was pondering on whether of all the foods in the world, was this my favourite?

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh c'mon. You only have to boil water...................

Oh - I thought you meant from scratch, ie. mucking about with gelatin and stuff. I have made the powder ones but they're not as instant as the little pots because you have to wait for them to set. When I want a quick snack I mean "quick" ..lol.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Often the yogurt I'm eating is what I've made myself, so it comes without a sell-by date! But either way, the only time I wouldn't eat it, is if it's gone fizzy or SO sour I couldn't bear the taste! And I do like it on the sour side. In fact as I sat eating a pot of yoghurt last night, I was pondering on whether of all the foods in the world, was this my favourite?

Well I thought I had food poisoning yesterday :( Had a "cook from frozen" chicken breast with a sauce and a few garlic mushrooms and spent the evening doubled over in pain and then on the loo with head in bucket. :rolleyes: Trouble is, I looked up the symptoms of Food Poisoning or whether it was just a tummy bug and now I'm convinced I've got Liver or Pancreatic cancer due to a few other symptoms like itching skin. I never learn not to search on the net as it always frightens the life out of you :(

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
... and now I'm convinced I've got Liver or Pancreatic cancer due to a few other symptoms like itching skin.

Why are you talking yourself into these imaginings? Doesn't make a lot of sense. That could have been any number of factors.

Panic less, plan more and eat fresh. Even on my best day, I'd never "cook from frozen".

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to get itchy skin a lot. For me I think it is connected to the liver. Whenever my liver has to work a bit harder my skin itches. I use it as a good reminder to look after myself better. When my skin doesn't itch it's generally because I'm not taking any drugs like paracetemol, I'm drinking enough water, my BG's are under control, I haven't had any diet drinks (I have a bad reaction to them, most people don't) and I haven't had alcohol.

Although it's a pain when I'm itching a lot, I use it as a good tester as to how well I'm doing with diet. I've had this for at least 5 years possibly a lot longer so I'm ruling out anything more sinister in my case. :)

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are you talking yourself into these imaginings? Doesn't make a lot of sense. That could have been any number of factors.

Panic less, plan more and eat fresh. Even on my best day, I'd never "cook from frozen".

Oh I know. Hopeless me :( I'm just not into things that take a lot of prep and I fancied the sound of these frozen chicken breasts with a ready made sauce. Maybe I'm just on the wrong diet.

As for the imaginings - yes I know it's stupid. I should either ignore it or go and get it checked out instead of worrying about it.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to get itchy skin a lot. For me I think it is connected to the liver. Whenever my liver has to work a bit harder my skin itches. I use it as a good reminder to look after myself better. When my skin doesn't itch it's generally because I'm not taking any drugs like paracetemol, I'm drinking enough water, my BG's are under control, I haven't had any diet drinks (I have a bad reaction to them, most people don't) and I haven't had alcohol.

Although it's a pain when I'm itching a lot, I use it as a good tester as to how well I'm doing with diet. I've had this for at least 5 years possibly a lot longer so I'm ruling out anything more sinister in my case. :)

Good attitude xx It's just that "what if.." niggle when you read about how difficult these things are to diagnose in the early stages.

Put it down to the age thing. Lost so many family members in their 70s (and earlier). I know that worrying about it probably does more harm than adopting a positive attitude like you have.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree it's the "What ifs?" and the "If onlys" that make it so scary. I would mention it to your GP. Mine was quite understanding when I mentioned I had a history of cancer in my family.

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Oh I know. Hopeless me :( I'm just not into things that take a lot of prep and I fancied the sound of these frozen chicken breasts with a ready made sauce. Maybe I'm just on the wrong diet.

As for the imaginings - yes I know it's stupid. I should either ignore it or go and get it checked out instead of worrying about it.

Your diet is (arguably) not the issue. It is your attitude that I'd think about. Look at your last sentence. That tells me a lot about your approach.

This is NOT an "ignore it" or "get it checked out" argument. It is breaking that barrier that prevents you from doing what many others have. Cooking and preparation (the simple stuff) is a skill I learned from the time I was a small child. It is not hard.

No-one can live your life for you. This is something you own yourself. You are embarking on a well travelled road where many have been before. Learn. It teaches you well and gives you confidence you never thought you had

Nursery64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I decided 18 months ago at 22 stone after years of differing diets to take control of myself and my Type 1 so took up calorie counting and daily all out swimming - eventually swimming in 1 week 1,000 lengths - and boy did I loose weight now weigh in at 11 4. Insulin has dropped considerably and have much more energy and best of all no fancy diet just 1200 calories a day - low fat low carb and high protein - if you are motivated you can do it it's not easy but so worth it - oh and I'm a BK amputee as well and 51 :D

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your diet is (arguably) not the issue. It is your attitude that I'd think about. Look at your last sentence. That tells me a lot about your approach.

This is NOT an "ignore it" or "get it checked out" argument. It is breaking that barrier that prevents you from doing what many others have. Cooking and preparation (the simple stuff) is a skill I learned from the time I was a small child. It is not hard.

No-one can live your life for you. This is something you own yourself. You are embarking on a well travelled road where many have been before. Learn. It teaches you well and gives you confidence you never thought you had

I confess to not really seeing the connection here. I know you mean well but I feel like I've been told off like a naughty kid :(

I am learning and intend to continue learning but if I fancy a quick fix occasionally I am not going to be consumed with guilt over it. Everyone has to choose what works for them I believe.

Reactions: 10 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided 18 months ago at 22 stone after years of differing diets to take control of myself and my Type 1 so took up calorie counting and daily all out swimming - eventually swimming in 1 week 1,000 lengths - and boy did I loose weight now weigh in at 11 4. Insulin has dropped considerably and have much more energy and best of all no fancy diet just 1200 calories a day - low fat low carb and high protein - if you are motivated you can do it it's not easy but so worth it - oh and I'm a BK amputee as well and 51 :D

Well done Nursery x You have obviously found what works for you and done really well on it x A very inspiring post.

Nursery64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank You Copey399 took a lot of effort and soul searching but yes at last found something that works for me - although doubt it would for everyone, but am sure everyone can find their own little way ahead xx

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@copey399

I wasn't telling you off at all, so apologies if you thought otherwise. Simply trying to motivate you.

The connection was between your "ignore or get it checked out" (food poisoning) and the food choices you made and will make.

You simply can't play around with this condition until you're under control ... then you can try other stuff. Doubt you'll find many here that disagree with that approach.

Mike

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@copey399

I wasn't telling you off at all, so apologies if you thought otherwise. Simply trying to motivate you.

The connection was between your "ignore or get it checked out" (food poisoning) and the food choices you made and will make.

You simply can't play around with this condition until you're under control ... then you can try other stuff. Doubt you'll find many here that disagree with that approach.

Mike

Thank you x I think I am motivated though, hence my DN giving me a hug at my last review and saying how well I had done.

My "frozen" choice was a stand-by for days when I don't have the time or inclination to cook from fresh and also a change from the usual things I've been having. It was low carb so I didn't think it was "playing around" just another option. I make no secret of the fact that I hate cooking, always have and always will and life's too short to spend a lot of time doing something you don't enjoy (especially at my age - 71). And I know the argument is that getting the diabetes under control will ensure that it isn't shorter than necessary .. lol.

I reckon I have spent more time in the kitchen since starting this way of life - rustling up new and interesting foods to keep me on track - than I ever had in the past, despite watching o/h scoffing pies and chips etc.

If a couple of low carb ready meals can keep me on track and stop me throwing in the towel altogether and keep me off the meds then it's not a bad thing imho.

Anyway, on the plus side my D & V and day of fasting (2 lightly boiled eggs) has lost me another 2 lbs. Down now from 12st.8lbs to 11st.1lb now :) Not a great way of getting there though.