Type 2 A new man

johnincrete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am A 79-Year-old overweight man diagnosed some 35years ago although I suspect I had diabetes long before. I have been stupid and completely neglected treatment. I have taken meds as prescribed but have not changed my lifestyle. I have just had a big fright with some sort of wound on my foot which I understand was caused by diabetes, The surgeons are very concerned. I have resolved to change my ways with a proper Mediterranean diet, no alcohol, and no chocolate or sweets. Already I see the benefits with belt in 2 notches! Walking is a problem at present until foot is healed. I have reduced Tresiba from 45 to 30 and Humalog from 20 per meal to 5 and blood sugar levels are good - I even had a few lows.
Two questions:
1. From the change 10 days ago, when can I get a HB1ac to act as a base?
2. Is there any way to regulate Humalog other than trial and error?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @johnincrete

Your HbA1c is a 3 month average blood glucose reading, so any changes from 10 days ago won't be reflected in this as yet: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/hba1c

Are you adjusting your humalog under the care of your doctor/nurse ? It sounds like you're taking a fixed dose per meal, so it would be an idea to move to carb counting, again under the care of your team, it means you can adjust the amount of carbs you eat per meal, so if you wish to reduce your carbs then you can reduce your insulin to ensure you don't go low.

As you're going low you will need to speak to your team about adjusting your insulin, it's important where possible to avoid hypos.

Sounds like you're doing really well so hopefully your body will adjust accordingly and it will help improve the healing on your wound, getting out walking will really help move things along, best wishes J

johnincrete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
"Team" - it does not work like that in Crete! I need to get under the control of the hospital and that requires a reference from the equivalent to a GP.