A progress report from a Black Swan

IanHendra

Hi,

Dr David Unwin has a lovely YT lecture where he talks about Black Swans and the idea that those who succeed with IF/keto/LCHF in the face of the conventional claptrap should share their experience for the benefit of our community. His lecture is here.

I just wrote this for the "what's your morning BG thread?".

134 weeks ago, my first-thing-in-the-morning BG was about 10-12 mmol/l, but it's not any more. For the last 130 weeks, it's been 5.5 +/- 0.5. So it took about 4 weeks to fix the T2D using intermittent fasting. I added keto at week 6, but it made little difference to the trends that include losing 1/3 of my body weight by week 60 and achieving a "normal" BMI for the first time in my life. I'm 74 now.

The attached scorecard gives you the results of the regime so far and includes links to references.

I'm at week 134 of my IF/keto/LCHF regime following a T2D diagnosis on 18 July 2018. I'd read The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung and Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis. All I needed, apparently, was the metaphoric kick where it hurts to follow their advice! I'd been a fat bloke for 60+ years at that point, so I was a recidivist failed dieter.

Anyway, the GP signed me up for their "Long Term Conditions" clinic, even though I told him T2D wasn't a long term anything! I told him to keep the metformin coz I'll deal with this the Fung/Davis way. All I got was a "Wot's that? You're kidding yourself, T2D is permanent, you'll be back...". "OK, we'll see", says I, "But, please let me have another blood test request for an HbA1C and fasting lipids for 12 weeks, and I'll make another appointment. I need the lipids for the Trig/HDL ratio coz it's all that matters really; your standard ratios are irrelevant" There was another shrug as I left his surgery. And that's what happened; it's been ongoing for about 2.5 years now, as you can see from the attached. My GP is gobsmacked but reckons I'm a one-off, so he's still prescribing metformin and insulin shots willy-nilly so far as I can see.

The bit that gets me is that he acknowledges that 4 out of 5 of his patients are obese, insulin resistant and hence exhibiting metabolic syndrome. Yet, he refuses to accept that primary health care providers have any responsibility for addressing any of the nutritional causes for any of it.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 210107DiabetesClinicBloodTestAnalysis.pdf
    299.2 KB · Views: 195

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderfully collated & clear results.
Many GP's just have never seen it happen, the advent of the internet had allowed groups like ours exist & share info that previous generations were denied.
May you live in interesting times.

Charks

Diabetes is such a major problem you'd think a doctor would keep up to date with the latest research. Why don't they?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often wonder why GPs and dieticians enquire about diet and then don't believe what they are told.