A Pump For A Lada?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I last saw my diabetic consultant, I mentioned it is sometimes hard to bolus when at a very formal business lunch/dinner.

He responded that - if I want - he can get me a pump. I was diagnosed 3 years ago, am in my mid 40s and my control is very good by T1 standards. I think this is thanks to Dexcom as well as my pancreas still producing some insulin. I currently inject about 6 units of Levemir in the evening and 4 in the morning. My bolus typically ranges between 2 and 3 units per meal with my ratio being 10-15g of carbs per unit.

My opinion is that there is no rush to go on the pump but would like to learn everyone's opinion.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those shot levels imply you are still producing a reasonable level of insulin. Personally I wouldn't go for a pump yet. At a formal even where I couldn't inject at the table I would probably go to the loo or find a quiet room somewhere?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'd accept your consultants offer @cz_dave, pumps are a great piece of kit and would be ideal in the scenario that you've mentioned.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those shot levels imply you are still producing a reasonable level of insulin. Personally I wouldn't go for a pump yet. At a formal even where I couldn't inject at the table I would probably go to the loo or find a quiet room somewhere?

I am also producing some insulin by myself and going through the process for a pump, if anything I see going on a pump when honeymooning is more of a benefit as you can get used to it while on lower doses of insulin and have a safety cushion while getting to grips with it all.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My opinion is that there is no rush to go on the pump but would like to learn everyone's opinion.

With all the NHS cuts if it were me, I would grab the pump now as there might be no chance in the near future.

Reactions: 2 people

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for everyone's comments. My consultant recommends to wait for the Medtronic 670g, which is a closed loop system. I have just read that it's expected to come to Europe in April 2018. That's quite far away. In any case, I will try to learn more about pumping in the meantime.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I've done some research and it looks like the number one Medtronic weakness are the Enlite sensors. Not just their shorter duration but also their lower precision when compared to Dexcom. Or would you disagree @tim2000s ?

I really like the Dexcom. I wonder if it is a silly idea to use the Dexcom G5 with a Medtronic pump?

Here is the reasoning: It is not unusual for me to run just above 4 towards early morning. I think I would be getting a lot of false alarms from the SmartGuard feature.

So, instead I would rely on my Dexcom to wake me up if I am really below 4 which luckily does not happen all too ofen.

Last edited: