A question about alcohol and mixers

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 on insulin (basal-bolus regime). My dietician has advised that I do not carb count for alcohol (I'm not a big drinker anyway. A half pint of beer or small glass of wine suits me fine).
But I forgot to ask about mixers. What do I do if I have a tonic or an orange juice with my booze. Or a cocktail of some sort. Do I count the carbs minus the alcohol or not.
I'm just wondering as I'm out with friends soon and it would be useful to know what people do. Only planning 1 or 2 to enjoy and be social.
Thank you! Kat x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends what mixer you're having, how much and what you're having it with. I tend to stick to sugar free mixers or soda water as it makes things easier.

So I'd have a diet tonic with my gin. For orange juice, I might do a bolus if I was having a reasonable amount with vodka, but I would be cautious if it's your first time trying this. Test and see how you go : )

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My experience cocktails are a bit of an "unknown"? Bartender may mix an "unknown quantity" of whatever?
Some of the spirits in the blend could be sweet too?

I agree nothing should hold you back from a great social night out.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Check the bottle or online for the brand. Beers have carbs (hops/malt) and wines (red or white) can affect people due to alcohol content but you need to test yourself for that.

JackpOb

I'm recently diagnosed, 1 month in now and i went out for my first drinking session on Saturday. My doctor advised no more than 3 pints seeing as it was my first time out. I have to be honest and say I drank a whole lot more! I was checking my sugar levels thorough out and I never got higher than 7. In the morning, my levels were 4.8 and never got any lower for the rest of the day. I was surprised as I'd heard that drinking can make you very low the next day!

gillianoleary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Baby corns. Wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways!!
I'm recently diagnosed, 1 month in now and i went out for my first drinking session on Saturday. My doctor advised no more than 3 pints seeing as it was my first time out. I have to be honest and say I drank a whole lot more! I was checking my sugar levels thorough out and I never got higher than 7. In the morning, my levels were 4.8 and never got any lower for the rest of the day. I was surprised as I'd heard that drinking can make you very low the next day!

Don't be surprised if this changes as you clock up diabetes time!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What do I do if I have a tonic or an orange juice with my booze. Or a cocktail of some sort. Do I count the carbs minus the alcohol or not.

For a G&T I just use the Slimline Tonic Waters.

I'm just wondering as I'm out with friends soon and it would be useful to know what people do. Only planning 1 or 2 to enjoy and be social.

Just like with food our experiences will vary, why not experiment first in the safety of your own home to see what effect alcohol has on your bg levels and take things from there.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd count carbs for drinks and mixers but not the alcohol itself.

Beer and wine have some carbs, as do liqueurs, juices, syrups and sweetened mixers. Sugar free mixers and soda don't. Neither do gin, vodka, whisky etc. And lemon or lime juice are negligible in normal quantities.

Medical advice is that alcohol may lead to lower blood glucose, by inhibiting the liver's release of glucose when you need it because your blood glucose is dropping.

I was told, when I asked, that there wasn't any clinical evidence to support this. It may depend on how much alcohol you're metabolising, as well as your background blood glucose being on a downward trend. Good practice to check you're not going low after a night out.

My experience is that a diet gin and tonic, or whisky and water have no measurable effect on my blood glucose. Beer, cider or wine raise it.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spirits typically have little carbs eg whisky, gin, vodka, as long as you have a diet mixer with them, eg tonic, coke etc. Beers are much different with typically most beers having around 10g

Interesting article about carbs in wine.

http://wine.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Carbs_in_Wine