A quick question re fbs

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
My bs is normally quite well controlled last HbA1c was 38. But recently my fbs are a concern . I’m pretty low carb so it’s a worry . Eg this morning my fb was 5.7 , not to bad . Had eggs bacon some grated cheddar , coffee with double cream,and a benecol drink . Walked to work , about 2.5 km test my blood and it was 6.7 . Test twice more during the morning and by 12:30 it was still 6.7 . Yesterday for tea I had steak eggs and mushroom and some salt beef for lunch do no carbs at all hardly . Any ideas as to why my bloods won’t go down . I’m used to readings below 6 and some below 5 . Oh 1 thing had a. Oozy weekend , but only wine and some vodka so no carbs there to talk about

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My bs is normally quite well controlled last HbA1c was 38. But recently my fbs are a concern . I’m pretty low carb so it’s a worry . Eg this morning my fb was 5.7 , not to bad . Had eggs bacon some grated cheddar , coffee with double cream,and a benecol drink . Walked to work , about 2.5 km test my blood and it was 6.7 . Test twice more during the morning and by 12:30 it was still 6.7 . Yesterday for tea I had steak eggs and mushroom and some salt beef for lunch do no carbs at all hardly . Any ideas as to why my bloods won’t go down . I’m used to readings below 6 and some below 5 . Oh 1 thing had a. Oozy weekend , but only wine and some vodka so no carbs there to talk about
As I understand it exercise/physical exertion can raise bg levels at first simply because fuel is needed. I find moderate cardio - sensible walking- can settle lower after 10 mins but more strenuous can take an hour for me. No idea what job you do or how close to effort you put in just before testing. I could also be totally wrong but the walking causing a rise points that way.. Your fbg and HbA1c suggest you know what you are doing. Feel free to say thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Thanks for the reply Ian . My walk to work is only 15 mins away and I test before I start any physical work . Before this started my bs reading would go down after my walk to work . It’s really annoying that you put so much effort into low carving and tryin to do right then out of the blue you get high readings . I’m putting it down to the booze at the weekend . BTW at 16:50 it was down to 5.4 . Crazy stuff ehh

Reactions: ianpspurs

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also find that a walk raises my levels- I blame it on the liver dumping. I must have a lot of stored glucose- hopefully it will eventually come down. I find eating something can help- you can try that and see.

Good luck.