A rare sighting! LCHF friendly dietitian

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Sadly she's based in NZ :rolleyes:

But still an entertaining link.

Reactions: 9 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
G

graj0

Diabetes UK has the following to say about carbs :-
Although the total amount of carbohydrate ingested is the primary determinant of post-prandial blood glucose response, there is little evidence to support specific strategies for recommendations about carbohydrate intake in Type 2 diabetes. The efficacy of carbohydrate counting in those individuals with Type 2 diabetes treated with insulin is largely unknown. Carbohydrate counting based on insulin to carbohydrate ratio has
been shown to be as effective in reducing HbA1c as a simple algorithm based on self-monitored blood glucose (SMBG) [123].

My experience is different.
July 2013 - Stopped eating bread/pasta/rice/potatoes, despite hospital dietician's advice and previous GP's insistence that I did not cut carbs.
December 2013 - Finally stopped taking Gliclazide, Januvia and Atorvastatin. HbA1c 6.2, Total Cholesterol 4.4
June 2014 - Still not eating carbs, usually, still not taking previously mentioned meds. HbA1c 6.4, Total Cholesterol 5.4.
These are numbers that I will have to keep an eye on, but certainly something I know from experience I can improve upon, just by upping my exercise level. I can't be the only one to benefit from lowering my carb intake (approx 80gms a day).
So, when they say "there is little evidence to support specific strategies for recommendations about carbohydrate intake in Type 2 diabetes."
I will beg to differ and suggest that there is plenty of evidence, if they looked for it. I would also suggest that this statement is preventing type II diabetics from minimising their dependence on medication.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is another low carb dietician who also happens to have a great blog: http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog

She was one of the speakers at this year's Low Carb Cruise - really looking forward to watching the talks when they're published by Jimmy Moore.