A sandwich made me go very high...

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, as some of you know I started lchf in January and I really like what I'm eating. I cut out all bread, rice, pasta and potatoes and it goes without saying that I have avoided cake, pastries and biscuits. I have been testing before and two hours after meals and I very rarely go higher than 1milimol after two hours.
I have not lost any weight which I think is because I have been very greedy with butter and cream. I have reduced my protein to avoid it turning to glucose.
My fbg has not come down, it is still in the 8s or 9s and the lowest reading I have had was 6.9.
Today I met up with a friend who brought us a sandwich each to eat in the park. It was brown bread and was an all day breakfast one. I ate it. I refused the cup cake and drank a bottle of water. I walked three miles at quite a fast pace. When I tested after two hours I was horrified to find that I was 15.9.
Sorry for the long post but I want to get this right. I enjoy lchf and see it very much as a long term thing but I would like to see some positive results. I am limiting the coffee and cream and cutting back on the butter (I had started to eat it sliced like cheese).
Could I have gone so high because I am usually so low carb?

Reactions: kokhongw

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, as some of you know I started lchf in January and I really like what I'm eating. I cut out all bread, rice, pasta and potatoes and it goes without saying that I have avoided cake, pastries and biscuits. I have been testing before and two hours after meals and I very rarely go higher than 1milimol after two hours.
I have not lost any weight which I think is because I have been very greedy with butter and cream. I have reduced my protein to avoid it turning to glucose.
My fbg has not come down, it is still in the 8s or 9s and the lowest reading I have had was 6.9.
Today I met up with a friend who brought us a sandwich each to eat in the park. It was brown bread and was an all day breakfast one. I ate it. I refused the cup cake and drank a bottle of water. I walked three miles at quite a fast pace. When I tested after two hours I was horrified to find that I was 15.9.
Sorry for the long post but I want to get this right. I enjoy lchf and see it very much as a long term thing but I would like to see some positive results. I am limiting the coffee and cream and cutting back on the butter (I had started to eat it sliced like cheese).
Help, I don't know how I managed to post this twice. I don't know how to delete one of the duplicate posts...

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Short answer: yes.

It is common that when you LCHF your pancreas goes into a sort of low maintenance mode as it adjusts to severely reduced insulin needs. When you suddenly increase your carb intake it takes a while to fire up and get going to deal with those carbs. It's kind of like trying to race with a cold engine, it doesn't work that well and will lag behind.

Not everyone loses weight on LCHF either. Plenty of people just maintain their current weight even though their glucose values are top notch most of the time. You might have to reduce your overall caloric intake combined with LCHF to get weight loss results.

Reactions: kokhongw

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Help, I don't know how I managed to post this twice. I don't know how to delete one of the duplicate posts...
Use the report button on the other post, a mod will probably take care of it. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, definitely. This is often referred to as the last meal effect. After a very low carb period the pancreas becomes used to only producing a minimum amount of insulin as the less carbs you eat the less insulin you need. If you then suddenly hit it with a high carb meal it is unprepared and will only produce the same minimum amount of insulin. Hence the high spike.

You say it was brown bread sandwich with an all day breakfast filling. Ordinary brown bread is often white bread with a small amount of brown flour, not like proper wholemeal at all. Also the filling - what did it contain? A sausage perhaps? Sauce? I bet it was likely to have been very high carb.

Reactions: Ultramum

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Short answer: yes.

It is common that when you LCHF your pancreas goes into a sort of low maintenance mode as it adjusts to severely reduced insulin needs. When you suddenly increase your carb intake it takes a while to fire up and get going to deal with those carbs. It's kind of like trying to race with a cold engine, it doesn't work that well and will lag behind.

Not everyone loses weight on LCHF either. Plenty of people just maintain their current weight even though their glucose values are top notch most of the time. You might have to reduce your overall caloric intake combined with LCHF to get weight loss results.
Thanks @DaftThoughts I am planning to stick with the carb restrictions and be a bit more sensible about the dairy.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Swiggy (lovely cat!) I hope you washed your hands and retested. Last time I had a shocking test result, I had blueberry juice on my fingers :oops:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Physiological insulin resistance, yes you can't just go back to eating carbs.

As to eating neat slices of butter, a bar is about 2000 calories.
That's about the number I eat in a day.

Reactions: DaftThoughts

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, definitely. This is often referred to as the last meal effect. After a very low carb period the pancreas becomes used to only producing a minimum amount of insulin as the less carbs you eat the less insulin you need. If you then suddenly hit it with a high carb meal it is unprepared and will only produce the same minimum amount of insulin. Hence the high spike.

You say it was brown bread sandwich with an all day breakfast filling. Ordinary brown bread is often white bread with a small amount of brown flour, not like proper wholemeal at all. Also the filling - what did it contain? A sausage perhaps? Sauce? I bet it was likely to have been very high carb.

Thanks @Bluetit1802 I should have checked but once I had decided to eat it I just went for it.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Physiological insulin resistance, yes you can't just go back to eating carbs.

As to eating neat slices of butter, a bar is about 2000 calories.
That's about the number I eat in a day.
Well @douglas99 I am going to cut that habit out at least until I achieve the sort of results I've seen others getting. I am on a steep learning curve. Your 2000 calories aren't all from butter are they? It's late and I don't think my brain is keeping up.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well @douglas99 I am going to cut that habit out at least until I achieve the sort of results I've seen others getting. I am on a steep learning curve. Your 2000 calories aren't all from butter are they? It's late and I don't think my brain is keeping up.

I don't low carb, so that's my total for the day.

When I did try it though, I seemed to be an oddity, in that for me a calorie seems to be a calorie. and if I overeat I put on weight.
Having said that, when I did a bit of research, it appears high fat makes many very satiated, and it appears many members don't actually eat an enormous amount of calories.
Me, I could happily gorge though.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't low carb, so that's my total for the day.

When I did try it though, I seemed to be an oddity, in that for me a calorie seems to be a calorie. and if I overeat I put on weight.
Having said that, when I did a bit of research, it appears high fat makes many very satiated, and it appears many members don't actually eat an enormous amount of calories.
Me, I could happily gorge though.
I have noticed that I feel very full so I think that cutting back on the dairy may make losing weight a bit easier. I reduced my hba1c from 119 to 54 after diagnosis after following the ND and it hasn't gone back up again. I saw the practice nurse recently and she suggested I take metformin as it makes it easier to lose weight but I would rather try to do it without medication. Wish me luck @douglas99, today is a new day and I am full of enthusiasm.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Ah don't beat yourself up ! I had a sandwich yesterday as I hadn't had one for 7 weeks - cheese n cucumber - just really wanted one lol - just start afresh today :)

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed that I feel very full so I think that cutting back on the dairy may make losing weight a bit easier. I reduced my hba1c from 119 to 54 after diagnosis after following the ND and it hasn't gone back up again. I saw the practice nurse recently and she suggested I take metformin as it makes it easier to lose weight but I would rather try to do it without medication. Wish me luck @douglas99, today is a new day and I am full of enthusiasm.
I stopped the metformin one of the reasons being it didn't help me lose weight. As to the sandwich I find if I eat so much as a tea biscuit my sugar rockets now and it is not a good feeling it makes me crave carbs!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, @Swiggy don't beat yourself up about it. We all do it. I wasn't criticising you when I pointed out how high carb the sandwich was, I was just trying to explain why you had such a high spike, and you were right to say you went so high because you have been low carb up to then and the last meal effect came into play. These little hiccups all serve to remind us we are still diabetic even if we do have non-diabetic levels most of the time.

Reactions: BeccyB and Ultramum