A serious Question

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning after a year of FBG testing every morning and studying the results it appears to me that my FBG results ate not in line with my 4 x 3 monthly HbA1c results and I am contemplating easing up on them(not stopping them),my last HbA1c result was 40/5.8 as I eat exactly the same food all the time with no variation at all I would like some advice from you all,thank you:)

Reactions: chattycathy34

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Since I've stopped my frequency I've had higher fbgs. But we are all not the same.
Seeing pschologist tomorrow about why I need that attention. I shouldnt need to tell someone my achievement but I must admit it seems to help me. Maybe a personality thing?
Fbgs are never a true reflection of a hba1c as just one test of a moment in 24hrs.
Liver blocks have definitely reduced my hba1c. I use insulin to squash my raise too now. No breakfast mainly, just white decaf instant coffee. Too busy for a breakfast on a morning, kids come first.
Metformin still helps keep my tummy soft not a rock hard barrel.
You could give lapsing your post and see if you do get affected by not checking in. I'm sure the regulars will miss you thou!
Is your post more about hba1c influence than whether to post or not?

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning @ickihun my friend I love posting its just that on the odd occasion its a bit of an effort,must be an age related thing ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning after a year of FBG testing every morning and studying the results it appears to me that my FBG results ate not in line with my 4 x 3 monthly HbA1c results and I am contemplating easing up on them(not stopping them),my last HbA1c result was 40/5.8 as I eat exactly the same food all the time with no variation at all I would like some advice from you all,thank you:)
FBG or any instantaneous reading has absolutely nothing to do with your Hba1c and there is no point getting depressed if they don't line up, they were never meant to.

The Hba1c is often described as an average of blood sugar over the last (up to) three months but even that is not quite true since it measures glycated blood cells. There is a connection between how much sugar is in the blood and how much sticks to a cell but it is not a direct connection.

Also to get a three monthly average using the finger prick method would take an infinite number of tests that carried on day and night for the whole three months. That's never going to happen so you don't have an accurate average to compare with anything.

Finally, instantaneous blood sugar levels and Hba1c are measured on different scales and although there is a conversion chart on this site

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

you should treat it as the interesting tool it is rather than an accurate comparison.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Squire Fulwood I am and do not get depressed (Your Words) its not in my character,but you have helped me make a decision with your answer,for that I thank you.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @wiseowl_123

I agree entirely that the HbA1c and our finger prick tests have no, or very little, correlation.

Your HbA1c of 40 equates to an average of 6.6mmol/l. That means your levels are as much over 6.6 as they are under it. Your FBG levels seem to be under it on the whole.

If testing at any particular time isn't teaching you anything, then you are wasting your time and money testing every day. Occasionally will do.

Edited to say I still test all the time after over 3 years ..... so I don't practice what I preach. ;)

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @Bluetit1802 my good friend I still can;t get my head round the 6.6 ,I was under the impression that 40 HbA1c was 5.8.I probably haven't learnt anything at all,thank you:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Bluetit1802 my good friend I still can;t get my head round the 6.6 ,I was under the impression that 40 HbA1c was 5.8.I probably haven't learnt anything at all,thank you:)

You are mixing up the measurement units. An HbA1c of 40mmol/mol is the same as the old style HbA1c of 5.8% DCCT. They are both HbA1c's and different surgeries use different methods. Our finger pricks are measured in mmol/L . It is confusing, but it's all we have!

Use the converter @Squire Fulwood gave you and you will see what I mean.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically I measure FBG to see how much my dinner affects me. If my FBG goes over 6 mmol...then it means I need to skip a couple of dinner to bring it back in line. I am fairly happy with FBG around 5.5 mmol.

But ideally the target would be < 5 mmol. I am only able to maintain that briefly when I fasted for 3-5 days...and it didn't have a big impact on my HbA1c which has ranged between 5.3%-5.5%.

So attempting to get a HbA1c < 5% would still require considerable efforts in terms of looking out for carbs...

Reactions: wiseowl_123
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Squire Fulwood I am and do not get depressed (Your Words) its not in my character,but you have helped me make a decision with your answer,for that I thank you.
My apologies. I was hoping that you were not getting frustrated by putting all the effort into FBG and not getting the result you wanted. Your past posts have indeed shown a bouyant personality with a happy greeting for everyone. I am glad to have helped.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good morning @ickihun my friend I love posting its just that on the odd occasion its a bit of an effort,must be an age related thing ;)
You should never feel obliged to post when you really dont want to. Forum is for you..... when...you ... need it hun.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hba1c, and indidual glucose counts (pre and post prandial counts more so than fasting counts) from our meters are just tools providing feedback on how well we are managing our condition and allowing us and our doctors to make decisions about our treatment including, medication and diet.

In my case, frequent testing also helps me maintain focus and discipline.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a school of thought that fasting bg levels are not the best measure of bs control. The advice from drs to test fasting levels stems from the need to adjust basal insulin, which lowers fasting levels, and is the most common insulin prescribed to type 2 diabetics.
Having good pre- meal blood sugars and no post meal spikes, is the most important thing to measure and control. Eventually regular high bs levels after meals will raise the fasting blood sugar levels, but it is better to try and control these spikes before this happens to reduce long term damage.
Personally, I worry about my bs spikes and hardly ever measure fasting levels. And my HbA1c has been 37/38 for 6 years now, down from 63 when diagnosed...

Reactions: Serena51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a school of thought that fasting bg levels are not the best measure of bs control. The advice from drs to test fasting levels stems from the need to adjust basal insulin, which lowers fasting levels, and is the most common insulin prescribed to type 2 diabetics.
Having good pre- meal blood sugars and no post meal spikes, is the most important thing to measure and control. Eventually regular high bs levels after meals will raise the fasting blood sugar levels, but it is better to try and control these spikes before this happens to reduce long term damage.
Personally, I worry about my bs spikes and hardly ever measure fasting levels. And my HbA1c has been 37/38 for 6 years now, down from 63 when diagnosed...

I completely agree.
I am always concerned to see newcomers and not so newcomers stressing over their FBG. When I was new I joined in the morning fasting thread, but didn't like all the competition going on.(among other trivial things). Newcomers were getting stressed because they weren't seeing numbers as low as other folk. That was in 2014 sometime, and it is still happening. There is far too much emphasis on it. I try to tell new people to forget FBG and concentrate on their pre and post meal levels, and that the pre-evening meal one is the best indication of how they are doing in general.

Reactions: pavlosn

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect a lot of people latch on to FBG as a measure of their diabetes because in many cases this was what the doctor or nurse measured when they first pronounced them diabetic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect a lot of people latch on to FBG as a measure of their diabetes because in many cases this was what the doctor or nurse measured when they first pronounced them diabetic.

And surgeries tend not to do these as much these days. My surgery abandoned them a couple of years ago and now go straight in with an HbA1c on all routine health checks.