A venous ulcer?

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been dreading going to the doctor, but one of my legs has some kind of problem. It became shiny and itchy, and then the skin on top became eczema-like, almost like crocodile skin, and today a patch emerged amid the hard skin that looks like a cut - although I haven't cut myself there. It's like a red patch. It's not weeping fluid, but I think it is a venous ulcer, or the very beginnings of one. Can I treat this at home by just wearing compression stockings?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I treat this at home by just wearing compression stockings?
You really should ask a doctor this question, there is no way anyone here would be able or allowed to answer it.
Why are you dreading going to the doctor?
Wish you all the best, and please don't take chances with your legs, they're rather useful things!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor about this and, if possible, getting a referral to a dermatologist. What you are describing could also be one of a number of other conditions. Better to be safe rather than self-diagnose.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, thank you. In response to "why dread seeing a doctor?" Well, you'd have to live in the UK to know that. It's hard to get an appointment at all, and the doctors are usually useless when you see them...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, thank you. In response to "why dread seeing a doctor?" Well, you'd have to live in the UK to know that. It's hard to get an appointment at all, and the doctors are usually useless when you see them...

Languagelearner, I had an "appointment" with my GP a week or so ago. I've been suffering from painful hands.

Our surgery is operating a triage system, whereby one telephones in to intimate a requirement. The receptionist asks roughly what the issue is (you can decline to say, if you wish), the a GP or Advanced Nurse Practitioner calls you back. In my case, the call was less than 30 minutes later.

I had a good chat with the GP (I had never met this person before), and agreed a course of action, which was that I should have some bloods, then a further chat.

I commented during the discussion that I felt it a bit frustrating that she couldn't see my hands, or examine them, and she was at pains to reassure me that if she thought it necessary, she could ask for photos to be emailed in, or for the call to convert to a videa call, so that she would be able to see them.

So, it could be that you are able to have at least an initial discussion, without actually attending the surgery. That might help you a bit? I understand many practises are operating in this or similar ways at the moment.

Good luck with it all. Please don't put off seeing a medic about your leg. It could be nothing at all, or it could be serious. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: JRT and Antje77

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Languagelearner, I had an "appointment" with my GP a week or so ago. I've been suffering from painful hands.

Our surgery is operating a triage system, whereby one telephones in to intimate a requirement. The receptionist asks roughly what the issue is (you can decline to say, if you wish), the a GP or Advanced Nurse Practitioner calls you back. In my case, the call was less than 30 minutes later.

I had a good chat with the GP (I had never met this person before), and agreed a course of action, which was that I should have some bloods, then a further chat.

I commented during the discussion that I felt it a bit frustrating that she couldn't see my hands, or examine them, and she was at pains to reassure me that if she thought it necessary, she could ask for photos to be emailed in, or for the call to convert to a videa call, so that she would be able to see them.

So, it could be that you are able to have at least an initial discussion, without actually attending the surgery. That might help you a bit? I understand many practises are operating in this or similar ways at the moment.

Good luck with it all. Please don't put off seeing a medic about your leg. It could be nothing at all, or it could be serious. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you. I can send a message to the doctor on AskMyGP and attach an image of my leg. The best outcome would be that they would send me to a district nurse who deals with venous ulcers without having to go to the surgery itself. We'll see.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been dreading going to the doctor, but one of my legs has some kind of problem. It became shiny and itchy, and then the skin on top became eczema-like, almost like crocodile skin, and today a patch emerged amid the hard skin that looks like a cut - although I haven't cut myself there. It's like a red patch. It's not weeping fluid, but I think it is a venous ulcer, or the very beginnings of one. Can I treat this at home by just wearing compression stockings?
I think it’s worth talking to your Doctor just to be on the safe side

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I can send a message to the doctor on AskMyGP and attach an image of my leg. The best outcome would be that they would send me to a district nurse who deals with venous ulcers without having to go to the surgery itself. We'll see.

Ulcers of any sort (if that is indeed what is is) should not be ignored. They can go catastrophically wrong, extremely quickly, with life changing results.

I don't post that to frighten you, but to try to make you think of the consequences of any wait and see stance.

I'd urge you not to take that gamble.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Some doctors are doing video calls so that they can actually see what a problem might be my wife had one such video consultation and a prescription was at the pharmacy in less than two hours for pick up.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In case people are interested, I should say I saw the doctor. It is an ulcer, and the skin on the lower leg is dry and red, as if the blood could erupt into a much larger ulcer any time. But they prescribed antibiotics in case of infection, moisturising cream to deal with the dry skin, and dressings. I'm wearing compression stockings. The ulcer has now crusted over and in three days a lot of the skin around is returning to normal colour. I'm getting an appointment with the venous team with the hospital.

I did realise through this episode that people with diabetes/prediabetes need to take care of the quality of the skin on their legs. Dry or cracked skin could result in ulcers. So I will make sure to use moisturer with emollient to keep my legs in normal condition.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Antje77

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That does seem to be going to the good now. I think that simply applying the cream helps to massage the leg and get things moving to some extent, and also it means we inspect our legs and feet so things are, hopefully, spotted early rather than having time to develop.