A wake-up call...

secrettheatre

Hi everyone,

OK, so this is my first post. I've actually been a member for over a year, and only occasionally visited the forum, but this past week I've had what I think is a wake-up call in terms of my diabetes management.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 almost exactly ten years ago, at the age of 30. I use Novorapid and Lantus, and I'm also taking Ramipril and Amlodipine for moderately raised blood pressure. Last week, however, I had the results of my annual retinal scan which informed me that there were some changes due to diabetes - though it also said that no immediate action was required. Naturally I immediately made an appointment to see my GP to get the precise details, and I'm seeing him on Friday...

Like I said, I think this is a wake-up call for me. The truth is I've had a sort of 'head-in-the-sand' attitude to my diabetes: I've tolerated highs and lows on an almost daily basis virtually since I was first diagnosed. I get my six-monthly checks, and last year I saw the nutritionist at my clinic, who gave me advice on carb counting. She gave me a huge pile of info on this topic, but I shelved it, telling myself I'd get round to it 'eventually'...

Of course there's never an 'eventually'... Until you face the day when you are given no choice. And that day has come for me, I believe. I simply HAVE NO CHOICE now but to manage my condition properly. In fact I have begun to do this with some success, as I've actually been counting my carbs for the past week and my glucose levels have been more stable than they've been in years... to my surprise and delight. But I simply cannot believe how irresponsible I've been... It would not be uncommon for my blood glucose to go up to 16 or 18mml, which I would usually 'treat' with a corrective insulin dose that would bring it down to 3 or even lower. :shock: I've recently read some scaaaaary stuff about a possible relation between hypoglycaemia and long-term cognitive impairment (even dementia), so who knows what damage I could have done, or laid the groundwork for...

I don't personally know anyone else who has diabetes. How crazy is that? Well, in all likelihood I do know people, but their condition is unknown to me... but I suspect getting in touch with and getting to know other people with this condition is in a way more important than any advice I might ever receive from a health professional. So here I am. Hello. :)

And I think what I'd really value more than anything is advice from people who, somehow, manage their diabetes with superlative skill. I mean, is it really possible to keep your glucose levels between, say, 5(ish) and 9-10(ish) most of the time? This would be at least my short-term goal (long-term even tighter?), but right now I'm a bit sceptical... But if anyone has that level of success and can tell me how they've achieved it obviously I'm all ears... :D

Regards, and many thanks in advance,
Chris

candy1567

HI

Just wanted to say a nice big hello and its never to late to start taking control of your diabetes!!!!

I cant help you or offer advice as am a T2, but i can say that since finding this forum and counting carbs, my bs have certainly lowered, not as much as i like as i do cheat a bit come on i am human and it was easter!!!!

Someone will be along who has far more knowledge than me to point you in the right track

Take care

Juliexx

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Welcome Chris

Doesn't matter how or when you get them, the point is you're doing something about your wake-up call so well done for that. You'll read some amazing stories on here about people maintaining "non-diabetic" blood numbers, so it IS possible and the potential benefits are huge. There's lots of useful information on here, but remember it works differently for everyone, so the important thing is to find a system that works for you. And don't automatically discount your healthcare professionals' advice, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy scepticism now and again!

Enjoy :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Chris said:
And I think what I'd really value more than anything is advice from people who, somehow, manage their diabetes with superlative skill. I mean, is it really possible to keep your glucose levels between, say, 5(ish) and 9-10(ish) most of the time? This would be at least my short-term goal (long-term even tighter?), but right now I'm a bit sceptical... But if anyone has that level of success and can tell me how they've achieved it obviously I'm all ears...

Hi Chris, welcome.
Glad to hear you want to listen, Chris. It does help. Forget some of the stuff you may have been told in the past, it may be good, it may not.
Just keep an open mind, challenge people when you think it's false information, praise when you see good things. Just join in the debate. You will learn and we will too.
As for your question in Red above, Yes it is perfectly possible to do that and even better ! Soak up the advice, even when it is given by a T2 like me. We can all help each other.

As keg or kegstore says " there are some amazing stories on here. " Read them first - then, you will understand.
Good luck Chris.
Ken. :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya chris and welcome to the forum,
it is possible yes, ive been on novorapid and lantus for a few mnths now and have good blood sugars, my hba has fallen to the lowest its ever been and so has my weight, keep reading the forum and asking questions, i know what u mean about being the only diabetic..i too do not know any other type 1s in my area so this forum has been a lifesaver :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Chris and a warm welcome to the forum.

You are just what we need more of, an intelligent, eloquent and open minded guy ready for a rethink of diabetes and its control. I hope we can help you out.

I've been T1 for 28 years now and average HbA1c over the past 3 years is 4.7%, and believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

All the best,

fergus

samcogle

Hi Chris and welcome, i am fairly new here too and a type 2 but as it goes my levels are pretty good since following a low carb since february. I am working on getting them better still but I am being patient as I have weight to lose as well. My blood sugar was 18 on diagnosis and I have them at around 5-8 at the moment. I have to odd bad day...Saturday was a nightmare and I ended up being 12 at bedtime but as people say we are only human and sometimes our halo's slip.
Good for you for getting to grips with it and forget the past, you are doing something about it now and that's what counts :D

secrettheatre

A huuuuge thank you to everyone who has replied, I really value your advice and am encouraged to think that I can now - at last - properly get to grips with this condition.

Grateful to you all,
Chris

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Chris
I'm T2 and don't use insulin, so no Quick fixes
My HbA1c is in the 5s and I don't let my Bg go over 6, although with my husband being ill at the moment, I have let control slip a little and hit 6.1 twice. Yes it is possible to keep in the range you said and probably easier for insulin users than others.