A1C

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Guys

Just went to have my A1C tested and totally forgot that it’s a fasting test. Had a breakfast of full fat Greek yoghurt +flax seeds. Will I need to retest?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Guys

Just went to have my A1C tested and totally forgot that it’s a fasting test. Had a breakfast of full fat Greek yoghurt +flax seeds. Will I need to retest?

Your brekky won't affect your A1c result but your lipids may be skewed (triglycerides especially) so I doubt that you need to retest just note that your trigs value may/may not be higher. Good luck with the results.

D

Deleted Account

My understanding is that the Hb1AC test is not fasting (because it is an average over 3 months) but there are other tests which are usually done at the same time which are fasting tests.
So it may affect something like kidney function or cholesterol tests.

Reactions: johnrubinstein

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Guzzler (one of my go-to people ). Results in. A1C = 38! So in remission . Have come down from 51 last December. No meds. LCHF diet ( lost 16kg). Exercise too. 3 mile power walks every morning and 3-4 workouts per week.

Cholesterol = LDL is down and HDL is up. Triglycerides have also improved. But don’t get the urea results. They appear out of range. Any ideas here? Maybe see the doc.

IMG_4425.jpg

Reactions: ReversingT2

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler (one of my go-to people ). Results in. A1C = 38! So in remission . Have come down from 51 last December. No meds. LCHF diet ( lost 16kg). Exercise too. 3 mile power walks every morning and 3-4 workouts per week.

Cholesterol = LDL is down and HDL is up. Triglycerides have also improved. But don’t get the urea results. They appear out of range. Any ideas here? Maybe see the doc.

View attachment 28886

Smashing results, very well done. Sorry, no idea about the Urea result but other members may know. Keep up the great work.

Reactions: johnrubinstein

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 28886

Your creatinine and GFR look good. Are you eating a lot of protein John?

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @DCUKMod, yes I believe I am. Fat (fish, chicken, nuts, full fat yoghurt, avocado) is by far the biggest part of my diet, with protein coming second.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the significance of creatinine and GFR? (Being lazy here. You could go tell me to go look it up!)

Is my serum urea being above normal range a problem?

Actually, if I may bring up another topic, then my biggest worry is my weight. I’m going on 68 and 5’10”. My weight is down to just under 67Kg. I had meant not to go below 70kg. I’ve gone on a bit of a campaign: trying to eat my way through 2,600 calories a day. But still losing. Tried to eat more carbs tonight but the 35 grams I ate with dinner shot my BG level to 8:0, the highest reading for half a year. I find that if I eat more than 20 grams carbs in a meal then my level goes into the high 6s. But I’m also told that the way to put on weight is to eat more carbs. It’s a hard balancing act. And 2,600-700 cals/day leaves me feeling full and not wanting to eat more. It’s a problem. Don’t want to lose any more.

Thanks for your observations. Much appreciated.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DCUKMod, yes I believe I am. Fat (fish, chicken, nuts, full fat yoghurt, avocado) is by far the biggest part of my diet, with protein coming second.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the significance of creatinine and GFR? (Being lazy here. You could go tell me to go look it up!)

Is my serum urea being above normal range a problem?

Actually, if I may bring up another topic, then my biggest worry is my weight. I’m going on 68 and 5’10”. My weight is down to just under 67Kg. I had meant not to go below 70kg. I’ve gone on a bit of a campaign: trying to eat my way through 2,600 calories a day. But still losing. Tried to eat more carbs tonight but the 35 grams I ate with dinner shot my BG level to 8:0, the highest reading for half a year. I find that if I eat more than 20 grams carbs in a meal then my level goes into the high 6s. But I’m also told that the way to put on weight is to eat more carbs. It’s a hard balancing act. And 2,600-700 cals/day leaves me feeling full and not wanting to eat more. It’s a problem. Don’t want to lose any more.

Thanks for your observations. Much appreciated.

The things I mention all relate to kidney health. Few of our blood markers, if "only a little" out of range are a red flag on their own. There would or should then be an inclination to look at the bigger picture.

It is also noteworthy that not all assay ranges will be the same. As an example, my lab, in Leicestershire's current assay range is
2.5 – 7.8. Interestingly, my GP recently queried my serum calcium levels (bone profile) as our range is 2.2 – 2.6, and I am always just below that level, but always over 2.0. The response from the Endo was that it was unimportant as whilst the Leicestershire assay is 2.2-2.6, the more usual band, nationally has a floor of 2.0.

I'd just have a conversation with your Doc about any of your bloods that show out of range. Where something is "just a bit" out of range, there will often be a preference to wait a few weeks or months then retest.

Like lots of things our blood scores often change a very little bit each time they're done. Once you have a bit of a history of tests, you and your Doc, of course, will be able to look a the trends.

You're going to have to be patient and wait for or seek medical advice, which we can't give you here. At this point in time, I think I'd be mildly irritated (because "normal/good" is what we seek in these things), but I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it for now.