Aargh The Advice Given To Diabetics...

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the beginning of April I was told I was a) definately type 2 or pre diabetic according to which doctor I saw. As my fasting BG was in the 7's or 8's i thought I was diabetic so started a very low cal and carb diet to try to fix myself. I read everything I could and joined this most helpful of all forums. I was also sent a letter by my GP to join the 'Healthier You NHS diabetes prevention programme'. However i told my DN that i didn't need to participate as I know that, thanks to help and information here that i didn't need to participate. As I am also disabled and unable to stand or walk for more than a few minutes it would be an ordeal to go to the meetings. Any way to get to the point i received their brochure this morning for the 'preparing for a healthier you' devised and run by The Leicester Diabetes Centre ( I live near Heathrow ). The first mention of diet comes under ' what changes should i make now' and the first thing it says i should do is CUT DOWN ON FATS AND FATTY FOODS and EAT MORE WHOLE GRAIN CEREALS, FRUIT AND VEGETABLES. Really!! I just despair that this advice is still being handed out to vulnerable people. The rest of the booklet comes across as patronising suggests that i need to be told what to do by 'health professionals'. Why is it that when you need/ask for help it's a problem and when you don't need help you get it. AAAh rant over. Has anyone else had dealings with this 'Healthier you' programme?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the beginning of April I was told I was a) definately type 2 or pre diabetic according to which doctor I saw. As my fasting BG was in the 7's or 8's i thought I was diabetic so started a very low cal and carb diet to try to fix myself. I read everything I could and joined this most helpful of all forums. I was also sent a letter by my GP to join the 'Healthier You NHS diabetes prevention programme'. However i told my DN that i didn't need to participate as I know that, thanks to help and information here that i didn't need to participate. As I am also disabled and unable to stand or walk for more than a few minutes it would be an ordeal to go to the meetings. Any way to get to the point i received their brochure this morning for the 'preparing for a healthier you' devised and run by The Leicester Diabetes Centre ( I live near Heathrow ). The first mention of diet comes under ' what changes should i make now' and the first thing it says i should do is CUT DOWN ON FATS AND FATTY FOODS and EAT MORE WHOLE GRAIN CEREALS, FRUIT AND VEGETABLES. Really!! I just despair that this advice is still being handed out to vulnerable people. The rest of the booklet comes across as patronising suggests that i need to be told what to do by 'health professionals'. Why is it that when you need/ask for help it's a problem and when you don't need help you get it. AAAh rant over. Has anyone else had dealings with this 'Healthier you' programme?
No, fortunately. I expressed my severe reservations about diabetes care to my doctor yesterday. She seemed responsive. In the past I've more or less despaired at the advice I've been given. I explained that I'm a thin type 2, so my problem is not producing enough insulin. The advice to eat lots of carbs to increase your blood sugar and then take medication to reduce it makes no sense. I don't have enough insulin to cover the carbs I was eating before, so I need to eat fewer. The DN would have argued with me; buy, happily, the doctor just accepted it.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
No, fortunately. I expressed my severe reservations about diabetes care to my doctor yesterday. She seemed responsive. In the past I've more or less despaired at the advice I've been given. I explained that I'm a thin type 2, so my problem is not producing enough insulin. The advice to eat lots of carbs to increase your blood sugar and then take medication to reduce it makes no sense. I don't have enough insulin to cover the carbs I was eating before, so I need to eat fewer. The DN would have argued with me; buy, happily, the doctor just accepted it.
So they give you the advice to eat more carbs to increase your Blood Sugar? and also tell us to eat carbs to keep Blood sugars low? I despair. What a contradiction